Euro: UEFA Euro 2020 Draw

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
I did a way too early prediction thing and my semifinals were France vs. Italy & Spain vs. Netherlands, the two groups which didn't have the best third place team was A & E. Out of the teams not considered favorites if my scenario plays out I could see Denmark possibly making a surprise run to the semis, winning a one off game against the Dutch in Baku isn't impossible. I was tempted at having Portugal eliminated in the groups as I could see them struggling in the opener against Iceland (who I believe will win their playoff), if they fail to win that I doubt they go through but had them winning. My assumption is the playoff winners will be Iceland, Slovakia, Norway and Georgia, with only Norway going through to the knockout rounds.

A: Italy, Turkey
B: Belgium, Denmark, Russia
C: Netherlands, Ukraine, Austria
D: England, Croatia, Norway
E: Spain, Sweden
F: France, Germany, Portugal

R16
Belgium vs. Portugal
Italy vs. Ukraine
France vs. Russia
Croatia vs. Sweden
Spain vs. Austria
England vs. Germany (hard to call, my head said England but they have massive expectations this time and tend fail when that happens :D)
Netherlands vs. Norway
Turkey vs. Denmark

QF

Belgium vs. Italy (maybe overrating Italy but I think they will have a good tournament)
France vs. Croatia
Spain vs. Germany
Netherlands vs. Denmark (was tempted to go with Denmark here, I don't rate the Dutch as highly as the bookies but their path if they win the group is very manageable)

SF

Italy vs. France
Spain
vs. Netherlands

F

France vs. Spain (was tempted to go with Spain but think France would win this matchup)

However if the last Euros are anything to go by this is all pointless :D The games will be very cautious in the group phase and in Euro 2016 four of the six Pot 4 teams made the knockout phase while four seeded teams didn't even win their group. Also hard to know without the playoff teams yet, I'm more hoping Croatia plays one of NOR/SCO rather than the wildcard of SRB :D

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
For sake of having it in the thread (and so I don't have to look it up), what's the system for advancing? Top two plus a certain number of the third place teams or all top three in group?

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
16/24 advances so Portugal-France-Germany should all advance that's why 24 teams tournaments are terrible. 16 was perfect, they should go to 32 it would not be worst than 24.

32 is too many when you only have 54 nations.

16 was fine

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
32 is too many when you only have 54 nations.

16 was fine
32 would be better for the group stage because you wouldn't be able to go through with 3 draws.

They don't care about the game enough to go back to the perfect format 16 teams...

member 305909

I think that in this tournament-format the last round matches of the group-stage, all 12 of them, should be played on the same day at the same time.

Of course that doesn't happen but as the groups finish on different days the groups which finish later have an advantage of knowing what whether finishing third in their group is going to be enough to go through.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
24 teams is the worst plain and simple, this qualifying format was the worst possible as well, dark days in international play indeed.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Makes for more boring matches with weak teams playing for the 0-0 and with 16/24 going through they do it even more.

16 is ideal and 32 would be better than 24.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Why is having more teams such a big deal?
Waters the tourney down.

Too easy to qualify, and too many meh groups and games in the tourney itself...

Before it was a big thing when middle country like Denmark/Sweden qualified, now it would be dissapointing if they did not.

Reactions: Pouchkine

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Why is having more teams such a big deal?

I think the argument about quality is a bit arrogant, if it's a solely European tournament then qualifying for it should be possible for significantly more countries than for the World Cup.

However, I think having some 3rd placed teams survive the group stage does hurt the dynamics of the tournament so a different format would be worth considering. Optimally, just make it a tournament of 32 and forget the Nations League qualifying nonsense.

Reactions: Pouchkine

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
As a non-neutral fan, the only thing I care about is the Czech Republic advancing as far as possible. What makes me sad about this expanded version is that even so I'm not sure we can do it

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I'm happy with all of it. More games to watch and more countries invested.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Some speculation out of France that the Euros will be hosted by Russia, either way it's looking less likely it will be the 12 hosts farce (add to the fact one of the host countries is in a conflict with another neighboring nation). On a personal note I think the Euros go on as scheduled but probably behind closed doors at this rate

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Decision on how the tournament will take place will be made on March 5, Ceferin has said it will not be cancelled that it has to go forward. At this moment it seems unlikely the same format will remain, despite UEFA insisting it will remain. Also despite the pandemic, the fans who purchased tickets have not returned them so thats another potential issue should there be crowd restrictions (I guess UEFA were expecting more fans to return them but according to the Mirror roughly 90% of the fans kept their tickets). Worst case scenario is holding the tournament in a 'bubble' setting in one country, with Russia, France, Germany, UK being mentioned

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Touché.

I just laugh that Southgate is still manager. Even he seems shocked when England goes anywhere. They almost seem to do so in pure spite of his management.

Reactions: luiginb

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Five subs will be allowed at the Euros, there is some discussion of expanding rosters to 26 too

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Five subs will be allowed at the Euros, there is some discussion of expanding rosters to 26 too
Terrible news. With VAR and 5 subs actual playing time will drop under 60min. and added time will be like 6-7min. instead of the actual 15min...

All great news for teams looking to park the bus.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->