UEFA Chief of Football quits in protest

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

Zvonimir Boban has quit his role as chief of football at Uefa over a proposal to change the organisation’s statutes that would allow the president, Aleksander Ceferin, to stay beyond a third term.

The rule that the president and executive committee members could serve a maximum of 12 years was introduced in 2017 by Ceferin as part of a reform package. Boban believes the Slovenian intends to run again when his third term finishes in 2027.

Boban, a former Milan and Croatia midfielder, wrote an open letter, published in the Croatian news outlet Telegram on Thursday, saying: “I talked to Uefa’s president about a problem that occurred during the last meeting of the executive committee in Hamburg – the proposal to change Uefa’s statute in order to enable Ceferin’s new candidacy after his final mandate runs out.

“After expressing my deepest concern and complete disagreement with the proposal itself, the president answered that he sees no legal or moral-ethical problem in it – and that he will, without any doubt, proceed with this idea that I find fatal.”

Reactions: BMann and luiginb

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
Ceferin can't keep his snout on.the trough. Wherever there are large sums of money there is corruption. Despicable creatures without any integrity or standards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad