GWT: UEFA Champions League Round of 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I dunno why but I'm feeling both PSG and Napoli for these games. Mertens is in special form atm and PSG seem to be coming into their own while Emery seems like a pretty strong European coach.

We'll see I guess.

:naughty:

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Nothing is more annoying than when a whole team stops playing because they think they should get a penalty call

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
well, if we're going to play like that

Dortmund should be huge favourites, especially with how Benfica barely squeaked in, but if their domestic struggles carry over and Benfica draws on home environment, you never know

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Been a while since I've been this frustrated by a football match. My bad mood is only mitigated by the news of the Habs hiring Julien. Dortmund had no answers when Benfica parked the bus in their 4-5-1. It seems wrong to criticize Tuchel when the team overall dominated that badly over the whole 90 minutes, but not being able to unlock a parked bus is a consequence of how they've been set up recently. Still, they can easily come back and score 3 or 4 in the home leg. Benfica was actually pretty bad.

well, if we're going to play like that

Their domestic struggles didn't carry over though. They were toothless in some of their recent BuLi matches. Tonight they just couldn't finish.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
xG models had Dortmund with a far bigger advantage over Benfica than PSG had over Barca tonight. I am mad.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Took a lot of restraint not to lose it in class when Auba missed that penalty.

I like how we played, but a frustrating result, nonetheless. Bartra was incredibly good, as was Weigl. Dembele was very good, aside from his missed chance.

Durm is a good athlete, but putrid technical ability. Seriously don't want to see him play another game any farther forward than RB for the rest of his Dortmund career. I didn't like 5 in the back to begin with as we had 6 defenders on the field, but there was no reason it should've stayed the whole game. Tuchel played way too conservative, but I understand the thinking. We probably are two goals better than Benfica at home, so don't concede another goal, and we probably win it at home. Still don't like the idea that we need to outscore Benfica by two in the second leg. What if Ederson has another one of those performances? He made so many good saves in this match.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Took a lot of restraint not to lose it in class when Auba missed that penalty.

I like how we played, but a frustrating result, nonetheless. Bartra was incredibly good, as was Weigl. Dembele was very good, aside from his missed chance.

Durm is a good athlete, but putrid technical ability. Seriously don't want to see him play another game any farther forward than RB for the rest of his Dortmund career. I didn't like 5 in the back to begin with as we had 6 defenders on the field, but there was no reason it should've stayed the whole game. Tuchel played way too conservative, but I understand the thinking. We probably are two goals better than Benfica at home, so don't concede another goal, and we probably win it at home. Still don't like the idea that we need to outscore Benfica by two in the second leg. What if Ederson has another one of those performances? He made so many good saves in this match.

I just wouldn't play Durm at all. Unlike you, I see not only Passlack but also Piszczek ahead of him. Sell him to a lesser BuLi team and be done with him. I see why Tuchel has played him on the right wing sometimes, and tbf it has actually been somewhat successful in the past, but it just isn't a good option right now, especially since the current CBs are far inferior long passers to Hummels.

I agree about Weigl and Bartra, but I didn't think Dembele had a particularly good match. He had one good key pass to Aubameyang but he also completed a low percentage of his passes, missed a point blank shot of his own, and made a few mistakes in dribbling. Inconsistency at his age is to be expected though. Others have touched on Auba's bad finishing but Reus was also bad.

I thought Guerreiro and Sokratis were also pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad