UEFA Champions League Qualifying Rounds 2019-20

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Russia and Portugal are battling for that coveted 6th spot in UEFA ranking (6 teams vs 5), so Krasnodar winning here could be a big boost.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Celtic-Cluj will be eaten alive in the group stages, neither team can defend. I guess you can say this about most of the teams at this level sadly minus Ajax

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
Ajax barely holds on; PAOK scored in the 90th minute.
Celtic into final 5 minutes of normal time need a goal.
Porto still needs 2 goals in 18 minutes.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Copenhagen-Red Star going to penalties after both legs ended 1:1. Both teams ended the match with 10 men with Copenhagen failing to take advantage of Red Star going down to 10 mid second half

Zvezda’s goalkeeper is Canadian international Borjan btw

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
Porto gets another one, 15 minutes left.
3-3 on aggregate

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Porto have scored 2 goals in the second half and are now tied on aggregate but still losing on away goals in the 79th minute.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
This stuff is better than the group stage. Look at how many goals are being scored. We need to go back to a straight knockout tournament :D

Reactions: koyvoo

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Ajax off to the next round. Martinez playing every game very nice.

Glad Ajax have beaten PAOK. What an annoying side to play against and I don't mean that as a compliment. Very undisciplined side. Five yellow cards, Ajax got 3 penalty's, the entire staff was protesting every call and the staff nearly even got into a little scuffle with the refs at the end. Their goalkeeper is a nutter especially. They stormed forwards with about 5 men during every counter, which was quite dangerous, but that was pretty much they only thing they were capable of. Good to see former Ajax product Biseswar score 3 of their 4 goals against us, though.

That said, Ajax was abysmal. They have so much work to do still, but I remember being this frustrated during the same stages last season as well and that turned out quite well. Individually I can't single out an awful performance, but the entire backline just is so shaky as a unit. This is where De Ligt was so important. He organized the entire defense and provided calmness for the entire team. Martinez and Tagliafico were absolutely solid, though. The former is keeping Alvarez and Schuurs from playing, but if he keeps playing like this I don't mind at all. Neres and Tadic were off. Ziyech was good. Van de Beek was solid, but you can see his limitations when his forwards are not into it as he can't create anything by himself. Not a fan of Mazraoui at midfield at all.

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
This Copenhagen-Red Star penalty shootout isnt exactly the best.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
What a final few minutes there.

Meanwhile Ajax is having trouble vs PAOK. They don't create chances easily and PAOK is sneaky on the counter. Only one team deserving a victory here, though. Marin now injured (I think. He also didn't play very well so could be just because of that), which paves the way for Dest to also make his CL debut. Kid has grown leaps and bounces these past few months. Might even be Oranje material in a few years.
Cap him already America.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Glad Ajax have beaten PAOK. What an annoying side to play against and I don't mean that as a compliment. Very undisciplined side. Five yellow cards, Ajax got 3 penalty's, the entire staff was protesting every call and the staff nearly even got into a little scuffle with the refs at the end. Their goalkeeper is a nutter especially. They stormed forwards with about 5 men during every counter, which was quite dangerous, but that was pretty much they only thing they were capable of. Good to see former Ajax product Biseswar score 3 of their 4 goals against us, though.

That said, Ajax was abysmal. They have so much work to do still, but I remember being this frustrated during the same stages last season as well and that turned out quite well. Individually I can't single out an awful performance, but the entire backline just is so shaky as a unit. This is where De Ligt was so important. He organized the entire defense and provided calmness for the entire team. Martinez and Tagliafico were absolutely solid, though. The former is keeping Alvarez and Schuurs from playing, but if he keeps playing like this I don't mind at all. Neres and Tadic were off. Ziyech was good. Van de Beek was solid, but you can see his limitations when his forwards are not into it as he can't create anything by himself. Not a fan of Mazraoui at midfield at all.

Yeah, I watched the last 30 minutes caught all the goals :) Ajax play seemed erratic at times. Agreed they do look shaky when defending. Martinez/tags were good. Martinez has been really impressive. The guy plays with no fear. He keeps doing the zidane to get of trouble, amazing to see. I’m just wondering when he does get comfortable and things settle down how good is this boy? I used to rate foyth, Perez and Romero shreds of him but now I’m thinking a call up could come soon if he keeps the pace. I’m sticking to Ajax games like glue. Even though quality isn’t good wish DAZN carried everything it would make my life a lot easier.

Reactions: Ajacied

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
Red Star also wins the shootout after the lineup rolled over and players had to start re-taking penalties.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Fantastic win for Krasnodar and Russia. Krasnodar have been very good in Europa for many years they got some very important experience there and deserve to be in the Champions League group stage.

Like someone said this knockout format is SO MUCH MORE interesting than the beyond boring group stage phase.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad