UEFA Champions League Qualifying Rounds 2019-20

ScottishCanuck

May 9, 2010
Scotland
I have celtictv which isn't cheap but I can watch it on my computer or phone. I know sole people watch on BR and a lot of people just look for illegal streams.

Celtic TV is alright if you can put up with the mind-numbingly awful commentary.

"ITS IN THE BACK OF THE NET !!"

ScottishCanuck

May 9, 2010
Scotland
Yeah sometimes the co-commentator can be brutal. I think it's ok when tom boyd? is the commentator?

I think Tom Boyd is the worst , as good as he was as a player. He can't string a sentence together and constantly accuses the referee of favouring the other team.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Personally I like when announcers are biased. Makes for more exciting commentary. I'll never forget the Bergkamp call when he scored vs. Argentina.
Exciting if your cheering on the same team otherwise it’s like listening to a broken record.

Reactions: maclean

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
AIK hools tried to attack maribor fans inside the arena. what a bunch of losers.

s7oYfKy.png
WclCW4e.png

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Maribor scored a late goal in ET to advance on away goals

Overall not too many surprising results this round, BATE was the only seeded team to lose this round while Basel beating PSV is a slight upset but nothing too surprising

Third Round (August 6/7 & 13/14)
CFR Cluj (ROU) vs. Celtic (SCO)
APOEL Nicosia (CYP) vs. Qarabag (AZE)
PAOK (GRE) vs. Ajax (NED)
Dinamo Zagreb (CRO) vs. Ferencvaros (HUN)
Red Star Belgrade (SRB) vs. FC Copenhagen (DEN)
Rosenborg (NOR) vs. Maribor (SVN)

PAOK-Ajax is the standout tie, the worst possible draw Ajax could have gotten but the one positive is the Greek league is still in preseason

Istanbul Basaksehir (TUR) vs. Olympiakos (GRE)
Krasnodar (RUS) vs. FC Porto (RUS)
Club Brugge (BEL) vs. Dynamo Kiev (UKR)
Basel (SUI) vs. LASK Linz (AUT)

Krasnodar-Porto could be interesting as Porto have had mixed results against Russian teams in the past decade (mostly negative against Zenit only rather than the other clubs). A Turkish-Greek matchup will always be testy off the pitch

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Playoff round draw (games to be played August 20/21 and 27/28)

Champions Route
  • GNK Dinamo (CRO) or Ferencváros (HUN) v Maribor (SVN) or Rosenborg (NOR)
  • CFR Cluj (ROU) or Celtic (SCO) v Slavia Praha (CZE)
  • Young Boys (SUI) v Crvena zvezda (SRB) or København (DEN)
  • APOEL (CYP) or Qarabağ (AZE) v PAOK (GRE) or Ajax (NED)

League Route
  • Basel (SUI) or LASK (AUT) v Club Brugge (BEL) or Dynamo Kyiv (UKR)
  • I. Başakşehir (TUR) or Olympiacos (GRE) v Krasnodar (RUS) or Porto (POR)

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Didn't get Ajax, that's nice. Celtic is tough but playable.

Actually surprised the Czech media is calling it a good draw. I mean, if Slavia can beat Sevilla they can beat anyone, but Celtic strike me as one of the tougher opponents and Romanian sides always seem to be kryptonite for Czech teams.

Reactions: sabremike

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Actually surprised the Czech media is calling it a good draw. I mean, if Slavia can beat Sevilla they can beat anyone, but Celtic strike me as one of the tougher opponents and Romanian sides always seem to be kryptonite for Czech teams.
It definitely could have been easier but most people were considering everything except Ajax a "good" draw. Celtic will be a real test, if we can beat them we can get a good result in groups, if we can't then the team isn't ready for CL. I'd rather lose to Celtic and try to get another good run in Europa than beat a weaker team and then get embarassed in groups.

Reactions: maclean

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
How does the current Slavia squad compare to last season? Have you lost many players?
It's weaker for sure. We lost our standout CB duo due to release clauses and our most creative midfielder to PAOK. One more player is set to leave but he's not that big of a loss. We also have some serious issues up front, been having a real tough time finishing chances as a result.

Reactions: ScottishCanuck

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Ngadeu and Deli right? Deli is already becoming a fan favourite after only a few games here in Brugge :D
And I'm hearing great things about Ngadeu from Gent fans as well
Yep :(

A lot of people here are looking down on your league because we've been sending players there into seemingly "worse" situations from a results perspective, which is pretty interesting. Your national team speaks for the merits of the approach though :laugh:

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Yep :(

A lot of people here are looking down on your league because we've been sending players there into seemingly "worse" situations from a results perspective, which is pretty interesting. Your national team speaks for the merits of the approach though :laugh:

Well I mean Slavia had a nice campaign in Europa last season but other than that I think the Belgian league is better in every aspect. More exposure, better financially, definitely way better depth.
Also not only did Slavia lose two players to Brugge and Genk, Plzen will also see Hrosovsky leave for Genk later this month. Plzen do play Antwerp in the EL which will be interesting, I do think Plzen are slight favourites for that tie though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->