UEFA Champions League Qualifying Rounds 2018-19

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Playoff draw was already made, it recent years UEFA waited for the third round to be complete

Champions Path
Red Star Belgrade/Spartak Trnava vs. Red Bull Salzburg/Shkendija
Qarabag/BATE vs. PSV Eindhoven (NED)
Young Boys (SUI) vs. Astana/Dinamo Zagreb
Malmo/MOL Vidi vs. Celtic/AEK Athens

League Path
Standard Liege/Ajax vs. PAOK/Spartak Moscow
Benfica/Fenerbahce vs. Slavia Prague/Dynamo Kiev

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Ajax blew a two goal lead away to Standard but still in decent shape to progress. Every away side (other than Benfica-Fener which is still in the first half) has scored. Dinamo Zagreb will take a commanding 2:0 lead at home against Astana and should progress. Videoton got a solid draw at Malmo

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Standard/Ajax was a fun game. Standard played well, dominated large stretches of the first half but Ajax basically scored twice on three chances. Too much quality. But good fight back from Standard in the second half and definitely a deserved draw.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Dinamo finally looks to have a good coach. It will be interesting to see what happens with Olmo going forward, kid looks really good with flashes of great play here and there.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
If Olmo stays for 2.5 years he will be eligible for Croatia, don't let that stop the Cro media from already talking about it, hell some were already saying he should go to Russia despite not being close to eligible :laugh::rolleyes:

Crazy game in Greece right now, PAOK have overturned a two goal deficit and lead Spartak 3:2 at halftime

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
MOL Vidi (Hungary) eliminating Malmo is also a slight surprise for me, Celtic are out and not even guaranteed for the EL at this stage. Though they will play a Lithuanian or Latvian side in the playoffs so should progress

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Zvezda defeat Spartak Trnava in ET

The playoff round is now set, matches to be played August 21/22 & August 28/29

Champions Path
Red Star Belgrade (SRB) vs. Red Bull Salzburg (AUT)
BATE Borisov (BLR) vs. PSV Eindhoven (NED)
Young Boys (SUI) vs. Dinamo Zagreb (CRO)
MOL Vidi (HUN) vs. AEK Athens (GRE)

League Path
Benfica (POR) vs. PAOK (GRE)
Ajax (NED) vs. Dynamo Kiev (UKR)

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
AEK got past Celtic, good on them, would've preferred Celtic but nice a different club got through if it wasn't to be Celtic, not much surprise Salzburg made it, Belgrade over Trnava was expected, though Trnava made it close which is nice to see, Qarabag- BATE, battle of the underdogs with big CL scalps, so someone could not advance and it was Qarabag,Zagreb over Astana was pretty expected, though Astana did make it last year, MOL Vidi over Malmo might be a mild upset, anyway nice to have a new club in there, Ajax were in trouble after leg 1 and Liege were looking alright, but Ajax stormed back to take it, Benfica over Fener was a bit expected, Slavia does not make it yet again, tough draw though, PAOK over Spartak I think is an upset, new Greek clubs doing well.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Where can we talk about the Super Cup, I;ll talk about it here since I don't know where, how much are we caring about this match since it's 2 Spanish clubs, anyway I'm pulling for Atletico.

Rexor

Oct 24, 2006
Brno
Slavia does not make it yet again, tough draw though

Tough draw and embarassing reffing on top of that. Slavia's goal disallowed because of a very strict interpretation of the offside rule, 2nd Kiev's goal after a clear offside. Better teams than Slavia would have a hard time against this.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Holy Christ, I wonder what that game cost Kiev. Slavia scored a normal goal to tie things up and the linesman flags it as offside like five minutes later. To put salt in the wound Kiev's second goal was scored from offside but who even cares at that point

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Just also worth adding that UEFA vicepresident Grigorij Surkis is the brother of the owner of Dynamo, which has been punished for buying off refs in the past. Despicable that this stuff is still going on.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Holy Christ, I wonder what that game cost Kiev. Slavia scored a normal goal to tie things up and the linesman flags it as offside like five minutes later.

That was a good call. The eventual scorer might have been level, but another player (#19) blocked a defender being thus active and clearly offside.

The second goal looked like a narrow offside, but nothing blatant.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
That was a good call. The eventual scorer might have been level, but another player (#19) blocked a defender being thus active and clearly offside.

The second goal looked like a narrow offside, but nothing blatant.

That's a stretch, the linesman raised no flag and clearly considered the situation obvious, as he already went back to the centre line. It was only a mintue later that suddenly he ran all the way back and raised a flag, clearly on an instruction from the earpiece. And to be honest, on a subjective note, he looked like he knew it was bullshit. I don't even cheer for Slavia, but the whole situation was quite flagrantly irregular.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
It took the linesman at most 8 seconds to react, the goal was scored at 36:57 and at 37:05 the players noticed the offside flag being up. That's perfectly normal, solid refereeing.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
It took the linesman at most 8 seconds to react, the goal was scored at 36:57 and at 37:05 the players noticed the offside flag being up. That's perfectly normal, solid refereeing.

Well, everyone's entitled to their opinion. As I say it's not even a team I'm fond of and the Europe League will suit them better anyhow, but if I were a fan I'd be livid, especially after what happened in the first game (Dynamo's goal was scored while there were two balls on the field and the ref didn't stop play - didn't see that one though so no real opinion on it). Plus the UEFA Vicepresident commenting on his satisfaction with the result on the club's official website is a real kicker

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I don't think they have to stop play unless the game ball is interfered with by the 'outside agent' but I'm not 100% sure on that rule. I've seen refs give goals for balls that went in off of beachballs so...

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Looked to me like what the linesman was doing was running back to the spot the offside flag should have been raised.

He saw the header come in, thought the player was offside, but let the play develop to see if he needed to flag it. When the attacker made a play on the ball/scored, he immediately ran back to the spot it was offside and raised the flag.

Ideally if the attacker was in an offside position he'd have raised it earlier since the attacker was clearly active (interfered with a defender, going towards the ball, etc.), but it's not like what he did was clearly wrong. Granted, it looked onside anyway, but that's a different issue than the timing of the flag to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->