UEFA Champions League Matchday 5

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
If Cavani was half decent this would have been two easy wins for PSG against Arsenal. That lob attempt in the second half :laugh:

I did enjoy that game but I think PSG fans must go crazy watching their team sometimes. It's like these players feel they are the way better team on the pitch, during the first 20-30 minutes of the game, and then decide they'll probably win it playing at 50%. That might work in L1 but not in the CL. They should have blown out Arsenal twice.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
But it was the same thing in the first leg.
PSG was missing Di Maria, Kurzawa, Pastore and Rabiot. So yeah...

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
If Cavani was half decent

:laugh:
Look who scored again?

You can't give the guy credit. You seem to think he should score every chance.
The fact is that Cavani will always miss chances (indeed, that lbo attempt :facepalm: ), however, nobody in the game can get as many chances as him. His work off the ball is arguably the best in the game. That's why he always gets tons of chances and that's also why he scores tons of goals (as of today Europe's most prolific scorer).
His defending yesterday was also top notch.

You can't say with a straight face that the best scorer in Europe is "half decent". What does that make of the other strikers?

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
I hope you don't see that goal he scored as an accomplishment because my grandmother would have put that in as well.

He shouldn't score every chance but he should score way more than he does now. His goalscoring record so far is better than you'd think it would be so I can give him credit for that. I also don't really care he scores in bunches against the smallish teams. It's his fault they only got 2 points against Arsenal and not 6.
But, you're right. It's hard for me to actually praise him. Mainly because he misses so many chances and probably also because of the quality of those chances and the fact he usually looks stupid when missing them :nod:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
He has 2 goals against Arsenal in two games.
He has 5 CL goals in 5 CL games.
He has scored against big teams in south american games all season long as well.
He has scored most of PSG's goals, including the key ones.

So your theory about him scoring only on weak L1 teams is completely off-base.

Saying his goal last night would have been scored by your grand mother is particularly underrating the work of a striker who has to be at the key spot to score. And this is actually Cavani's forte.
If you only count highlight reel goals as goals, then, not many strikers are "half decent".

You say it's his fault PSG doesn't have 6 points from Arsenal. Well without him, PSG would have 0.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
I don't have a "theory" about him "only" scoring against weak L1 teams. What I said was that I don't really care about him scoring a lot against the smallish teams.

And this discussion is useless. I'm not going to convince you and you're not going to convince me. That should be pretty clear by now :D

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
I think Michael Owen put it pretty succinctly when he said yesterday that all young strikers should watch and learn from Cavani's off the ball movement, and then close their eyes when he goes for the finish.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I think Michael Owen put it pretty succinctly when he said yesterday that all young strikers should watch and learn from Cavani's off the ball movement, and then close their eyes when he goes for the finish.
Haha, pretty much.
I see a guy like Odsonne Edouard, who's a great prospect and has a knack for scoring goal.
If he could learn from Cavani's efforts and movement, he'd score 40-50 goals a year.:D

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
He has 2 goals against Arsenal in two games.
He has 5 CL goals in 5 CL games.
He has scored against big teams in south american games all season long as well.
He has scored most of PSG's goals, including the key ones.

So your theory about him scoring only on weak L1 teams is completely off-base.

Saying his goal last night would have been scored by your grand mother is particularly underrating the work of a striker who has to be at the key spot to score. And this is actually Cavani's forte.
If you only count highlight reel goals as goals, then, not many strikers are "half decent".

You say it's his fault PSG doesn't have 6 points from Arsenal. Well without him, PSG would have 0.

Cavani's international record is embarrassing. Uruguay are crap when Suarez isn't there carrying them on his shoulders.

You want a striker to be able to finish. Cavani can't finish. We all know that you wouldn't be defending him the way you do if he didn't play for PSG. If PSG had a capable striker, they would make some noise in Europe.

Also, it's crazy how much hate Arsenal and Wenger get, not only here, but in general. **** everybody. :laugh:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Look at that, another ignorant post !!!!

Cavani's international record stands at 37 goals, good for second on the all time uruguyan record. In front of guys like Forlan.
His recent record includes LEADING the entire south american qualifiers in scoring with 8 goals in 9 games. Messi (3 in 5)? Neymar (4 in 8)? Suarez (3 in 8)? Sanchez (5 in 11)?
NO, CAVANI.

There's indeed something embarrassing about your post, but it's certainly not Cavani's international record. :biglaugh:

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
You want a striker to be able to finish. Giroud can't finish. We all know that I wouldn't be defending him the way I do if he didn't play for Arsenal. If Arsenal had a capable striker, they would make some noise in Europe.

FTFY

Also, it's crazy how much hate Arsenal and Wenger get, not only here, but in general. **** everybody. :laugh:

Also Lmao you hypocrite when you **** on other clubs spending yet you admit here you want to do the same and that you were off the wenger bandwagon

I am jumping off the Wenger bandwagon. This season has been atrocious. It's been David Moyes-esque with some of the blunders and mistakes we've seen. I just can't fathom why Wenger continually decides to throw Monreal out there. He's so freaking bad. Even some of the decisions upfront have been horrible.

There have been easy solutions available for Wenger. I just don't get it anymore.

Today was the most frustrating match that I've watched in my 10+ years of following Arsenal week-in and week-out. It's embarrassing. And all I ever hear out of Wenger nowadays is how he tried to sign this guy, and that guy. Losing Giroud-Debuchy-Koscielny-Walcott for as long as we did hurt, but this just isn't acceptable.

I hope that Wenger stays at the club at some capacity, but it's time to go in a new direction. It's time for Jurgen Klopp. Open the vault for him, and let him spend to his desire.

Last edited:

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
FTFY

Also Lmao you hypocrite when you **** on other clubs spending yet you admit here you want to do the same and that you were off the wenger bandwagon

http://www.statto.com/football/teams/arsenal/2014-2015/results

Some interesting facts about that day. I posted that right after the loss to a bad United team in November 2014 that left us in 8th.

Our back line that day?

Chambers-Mertesacker-Monreal-Gibbs

Szczesny got injured in the 2nd half and Martinez had to come in to replace him. Ozil was also out.

The frustration was real.

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
Look at that, another ignorant post !!!!

Cavani's international record stands at 37 goals, good for second on the all time uruguyan record. In front of guys like Forlan.
His recent record includes LEADING the entire south american qualifiers in scoring with 8 goals in 9 games. Messi (3 in 5)? Neymar (4 in 8)? Suarez (3 in 8)? Sanchez (5 in 11)?
NO, CAVANI.

There's indeed something embarrassing about your post, but it's certainly not Cavani's international record. :biglaugh:

Have you watched any Uruguay games with Suarez playing, and Suarez not playing?

Again, I only watch Cavani in CL games, and international tournaments. After watching 20-25 games of Cavani being terrible, I can't imagine anybody could have a positive opinion of him as an upper end striker.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Cavani's international record is embarrassing. Uruguay are crap when Suarez isn't there carrying them on his shoulders.

You want a striker to be able to finish. Cavani can't finish. We all know that you wouldn't be defending him the way you do if he didn't play for PSG. If PSG had a capable striker, they would make some noise in Europe.

I don't want to take the time to dig up anything, but I do recall Evilo being a fan of Cavani's while he played for Napoli.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Have you watched any Uruguay games with Suarez playing, and Suarez not playing?

Again, I only watch Cavani in CL games, and international tournaments. After watching 20-25 games of Cavani being terrible, I can't imagine anybody could have a positive opinion of him as an upper end striker.

Have you?
Because you said he was terrible in international game, even though his numbers this season have whopped everyone's ass.
You only watch him when he has a goal a game on average and yet you think he's "being terrible"?:laugh:

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
Have you?
Because you said he was terrible in international game, even though his numbers this season have whopped everyone's ass.
You only watch him when he has a goal a game on average and yet you think he's "being terrible"?:laugh:

Ok, you made me waste my time to look up Cavani's Champions League stats against competition from the top 5 leagues.

With PSG

17 GP 4 G

With Napoli

8 GP 5 G

That's him whooping everybody's ass? He fails to deliver. You can't give me examples of him showing up in big games, and you can't show me videos of him showing up in big games. Because they don't exist. He's a Giroud level striker. But oddly enough, somehow Giroud gets constant **** while Cavani gets praised. The insane Arsenal bias at it's best.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
lol, I talk about international games (because you brought it up) and you give me PSG stats :facepalm:

As for european competition, Cavani has 5 goals in 5 games this year and 2 in 2 against Arsenal.
What did Giroud get against PSG? One free penalty and a red card.

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
lol, I talk about international games (because you brought it up) and you give me PSG stats :facepalm:

As for european competition, Cavani has 5 goals in 5 games this year and 2 in 2 against Arsenal.
What did Giroud get against PSG? One free penalty and a red card.

Speaking of Giroud.

Against the top 5 leagues in the CL, here is his record: 15 Games 7 Goal. Includes 3 goals against Bayern Munich. What strikers score against Greek, Turkish, Russian, etc, sides in the CL is trivial. Doesn't really matter.

What happened in the World Cup in Brazil when Suarez was hurt? What happened in South Africa when Suarez got the red card for the hand ball that following game? Oddly enough, when Uruguay won the Copa America, Cavani scored no goals, and had zero impact.

This shouldn't even be a debate. I'm not even sure why we are arguing about Cavani here. He clearly isn't a top striker. I wouldn't even put him in the 2nd tier. Probably 20 guys that I would take over him without hesitation. Maybe 30.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Lol, the most prolific striker in Europe isn't a top 30 striker.
Not only does he score more goals than anybody right now, but he's also better defensively than any striker in the game.
Cavani doesn't score on many of his chances, that's absolutely true. But he's also the guy who gets the most chances. That's because of his work rate.

Besides, your evaluation of players is well know. No argument necessary indeed.

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
Lol, the most prolific striker in Europe isn't a top 30 striker.
Not only does he score more goals than anybody right now, but he's also better defensively than any striker in the game.
Cavani doesn't score on many of his chances, that's absolutely true. But he's also the guy who gets the most chances. That's because of his work rate.

Besides, your evaluation of players is well know. No argument necessary indeed.

That is the least important trait a striker can possess. Doesn't matter a lick. He's there to score goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad