UEFA Champions League Matchday 5

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Barca.
Real, Bayern, Atle, PSG all seem weak this year or at least very inconsistant.
City looks better than most actually.
Arsenal seem lost.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
No, it's goal difference overall in the group. Arsenal is +9, PSG is +6. Then it's goals for overall. Then away goals overall. If still equal, that's applied to just the games between Arsenal and PSG. At least I'm pretty sure.

But that was at 1-1. Now that it's 2-2 PSG is ahead on h2h away goals. Just going by what they told me on the tee-vee

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
No, it's goal difference overall in the group. Arsenal is +9, PSG is +6. Then it's goals for overall. Then away goals overall. If still equal, that's applied to just the games between Arsenal and PSG. At least I'm pretty sure.

Not in this case. It is points between teams, then goal differential in the games played. If that is tied as it still is, it is away goals. PSG are ahead because of it right now.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Barca.
Arsenal seem lost.

So there's one team that doesn't suck.
A team that's not even first in their own league.
Either way, if there's only one team that doesn't suck then it's quite apparent your definition of suck is "not perfect" and that's where our ways part

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Nah, being weak or inconsistant doesn't mean "suck".
Arsenal have sucked big time in both games against a rather weak PSG.

It's an absolute miracle this game is tied still.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Other than Group B and Real-Dortmund not much drama on the last matchday

A: PSG with a win over Ludogorets win the group; anything less plus an Arsenal win means the Gunners win the group. Ludogorets/Basel fighting for the EL spot, should they both lose, Ludogorets advance

B: Napoli and Benfica top the table on 8 points and they play on MD6 in Lisbon, winner of the game wins the group, should they draw, Napoli will finish ahead of Benfica. Besiktas need to win regardless in Kiev and they will advance, either as group winners or runners-up

C: Barca win the group; Man City second; Gladbach EL

D: Atleti win the group; Bayern second; Rostov need at least a point in Eindhoven for EL, PSV must win

E: Monaco win the group; Leverkusen second; Spurs-CSKA fight for the EL spot, CSKA must win

F: Real Madrid-Dortmund on MD6 will determine the top spot, Dortmund only need a point, Real must win. Legia-Sporting fight for EL spot, Legia must win

G: Leicester win the group; fight for second could get interesting, Porto with a win at home to Leicester will confirm it, however if they fail to win and Copenhagen beat Brugge in Belgium, FCK will finish 2nd

H: Juve host Dinamo which they should win and top the group; Lyon-Sevilla fight for 2nd, Lyon has to win by 2 goals

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I can't believe Bavaria actually lost to a team from Russia. Thats really bad.

Real not impressing either.

I'd rank the teams chances of winning the UCL as.

1. Barcelona
2. Real/Bayern/PSG/Atleti/Dortmund/Juve
8. Arsenal/Man City
10. Everyone else.

Last edited:

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
An awful lot of gloves and Under Armour on show at Parkhead. These are supposed to be men. I enjoyed The Great Unwashed booing the penalty, apparently unaware that their man had rugby tackled an opponent in slow motion. Good save on Suarez by Gordon, mind you.

Last edited:

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
I find it hard to put Barca clearly ahead of the other struggling top teams yet. They seem far from the team two years ago or even last year's team. The title of favorite in the absence of any one convincing team should default to the deepest/most talented teams - i.e. Barca, Real, and Bayern - but this could be the year for an outsider like Atletico to win it.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I find it hard to put Barca clearly ahead of the other struggling top teams yet. They seem far from the team two years ago or even last year's team. The title of favorite in the absence of any one convincing team should default to the deepest/most talented teams - i.e. Barca, Real, and Bayern - but this could be the year for an outsider like Atletico to win it.

Atletico's struggling in La Liga.

Really almost every team is either struggling in their league or the UCL.

Anyone could win this year. I would still put Barcelona first because of MSN.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Atletico's struggling in La Liga.

Really almost every team is either struggling in their league or the UCL.

Anyone could win this year. I would still put Barcelona first because of MSN.

I wouldn't say Barcelona has been particularly good in La Liga or the CL this year. A lot of questionable performances and results. As results go, they're being Madrid in La Liga by the same number of points as Madrid has dropped in the group stage of the CL so far. Not that I think Madrid has been good at all for their roster quality, but it's an open field until one of those big three teams gets into better form.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Agreed with DM, it looks like a pretty wide open field at the moment. Doesn't help that Barca hasn't really fielded their best XI in most games due to injuries, introducing several new players to the style, etc.

Last edited:

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Hm. The tiebreaker regulations are really unclear.

http://www.uefa.org/MultimediaFiles.../Regulations/02/35/87/89/2358789_DOWNLOAD.pdf

Tie breaker "e" would seem to imply that a-d apply to all matches. But that doesn't make sense with f-j

Tie breaker e is just saying you progressively apply a-d as teams are eliminated from the tie breaker.
If you have a 3 way tie you apply a-d in games among those teams. If after doing that you still have 2 teams tied, you apply a-d again in games only involing those two teams.

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
Barca.
Arsenal seem lost.

Bellerin and Cazorla are probably the two most important pieces after Sanchez/Ozil/Kosc for this team. Again, this match means nothing to either team. Both have qualified, and with Arsenal always getting the short end of the stick in draws, we'll face Barcelona or Bayern regardless of if we win the group or not.

I only watched the first half today, but it was pretty clear that Coquelin and Jenkinson were making mistakes all over the place. Mistakes that Cazorla/Bellerin wouldn't make.

Again, it's not like anybody, players or manager, took PSG seriously today. The game just did not matter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad