Euro: UEFA bans Man City for 2 CL seasons

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Then Chevrolet broke market value.
You keep proving you have no understanding of the market or economics. United and City do not have equal brand values and would in no way be expected to have equal value sponsorships.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
You keep proving you have no understanding of the market or economics. United and City do not have equal brand values and would in no way be expected to have equal value sponsorships.
My god...... :facepalm:
You keep missing the issue.
I never said they were....
Link me to somewhere I said this

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Well duh you have the other deals from other teams!

I updated my post. It's not even remotely the same scenario, and the UEFA rule referenced wouldn't apply, because United doesn't own Chevy.

If you don't see a difference I can't help you. We'll agree to disagree.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
My god...... :facepalm:
You keep missing the issue.
I never said they were....
Link me to somewhere I said this
You keep comparing the Etihad deal to the Chevrolet deal as if this is an issue of general market value, when United is worth way more from a sponsorship perspective than City. The Chevrolet deal isn't even necessarily overvalued in the market based on the stature of United, it was just a bad deal for a struggling car company.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I updated my post. It's not even remotely the same scenario, and the UEFA rule referenced wouldn't apply, because United doesn't own Chevy.

If you don't see a difference I can't help you. We'll agree to disagree.
Ffs.... I didn't deny the cheating!
I said you can't prove a sponsorship deal is off-base.
And since it's not forbidden to have a sponsor from owner A give money in a deal to his own team, the only way Etihad's deal is not FFP (and I agree it isn't) is to gauge how the deal is off-base.
Which as I said is impossible.

Reactions: gary69

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
The Chevy deal was high, but it wasn't absurdly over the value of a sponsorship like City's many deals were.

Also, more importantly, Chevy is a publicly traded company and not privately owned by the same people who own the team.
1st point : it was absurdly high. 3 years later it still was the highest in the business.
2nd point : not illegal.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
For example Chelsea, Liverpool, Tottenham, and Arsenal all have comparable shirt sponsor deals in the £35-40m/year range. Manchester United has the largest worldwide presence and secured a £64m/year deal with Chevrolet. The Manchester City deal with Etihad is about £45m/year, 2nd behind only Manchester United, despite being smaller in stature than all of those other clubs they managed to sign the 2nd highest deal through their owner, then hid and lied about the finances of it.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
it was just a bad deal for a struggling car company.
See it's not the chore of the subject but I can't even understand how someone living in our world can think "well it's just bad business, nothing shady about it".
That just doesn't happen.
These guys don't take 500M decisions like this
They got paid for it.
You can't be that naive of our capitalist world.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
There was far, far more to the complaint than just the sponsorship. That's only one of the details. One of the others is tax evasion, which British authorities are currently investigating.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
For example Chelsea, Liverpool, Tottenham, and Arsenal all have comparable shirt sponsor deals in the £35-40m/year range. Manchester United has the largest worldwide presence and secured a £64m/year deal with Chevrolet. The Manchester City deal with Etihad is about £45m/year, 2nd behind only Manchester United, despite being smaller in stature than all of those other clubs they managed to sign the 2nd highest deal through their owner, then hid and lied about the finances of it.
Nah that's just not honest.
United is still way higher than those Now.
Imagine when it was signed. It was beyond crazy.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
See it's not the chore of the subject but I can't even understand how someone living in our world can think "well it's just bad business, nothing shady about it".
That just doesn't happen.
These guys don't take 500M decisions like this
They got paid for it.
You can't be that naive of our capitalist world.
People absolutely do make terrible business decisions all the time, and in cases like this the executives who make the deal don't always make them in the best interest of the share holders. I literally gave you a comparable earlier with the Sportsnet NHL deal where they signed a terrible deal, but the executives who did it made the deal for the prestige and the personal bonuses they got for securing NHL hockey rights.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
People absolutely do make terrible business decisions all the time, and in cases like this the executives who make the deal don't always make them in the best interest of the share holders. I literally gave you a comparable earlier with the Sportsnet NHL deal where they signed a terrible deal, but the executives who did it made the deal for the prestige and the personal bonuses they got for securing NHL hockey rights.
OK so you're this naïve really?
Or just defending capitalism with blinders on?

Come on man. 500M€ decision was not taken lightly.
But anyway that is not the point of the discussion.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Nah that's just not honest.
United is still way higher than those Now.
Imagine when it was signed. It was beyond crazy.
What's not honest? Manchester United has a $3.8 billion market value according to Forbes. Forbes only lists Manchester City at $2.6 billion (barely 2nd in the EPL) and that includes all of their faux revenue in the calculation. I imagine their actual value is far less than that when you cut out all of the money the owner pumps into the club from sponsorships.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
There was far, far more to the complaint than just the sponsorship. That's only one of the details. One of the others is tax evasion, which British authorities are currently investigating.
And I never said City shouldn't be punished BTW.
I just said it's possible to gauge a sponsorship deal as fair or not. Brands could project how that club will develop etc..

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
OK so you're this naïve really?
Or just defending capitalism with blinders on?

Come on man. 500M€ decision was not taken lightly.
But anyway that is not the point of the discussion.
Where did I say it was "taken lightly"? Do you think every business decision ever made is a good one and that there are never winners/losers? That is literally not how the world works, at all.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
What's not honest? Manchester United has a $3.8 billion market value according to Forbes. Forbes only lists Manchester City at $2.6 billion (barely 2nd in the EPL) and that includes all of their faux revenue in the calculation. I imagine their actual value is far less than that when you cut out all of the money they owner pumps into the club from sponsorships.
You're dishonest by comparing recent deals to an old one.
Go and check how much money teams were getting WHEN United got their deal.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Where did I say it was "taken lightly"? Do you think every business decision ever made is a good one and that there are never winners/losers? That is literally not how the world works, at all.
Again, no point in discussing capitalism here.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
You're dishonest by comparing recent deals to an old one.
Go and check how much money teams were getting WHEN United got their deal.
Chelsea signed a 5 year deal (i.e. in 2015, one year after the United deal in 2014) at about £40m at the same time the United deal was signed, and Chelsea is worth about half of United in market value. Chelsea's new deal that just started is about the same as the last one. There is nothing dishonest here, you just literally don't now what you're talking about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad