NCAA: UCLA hires Chip Kelly to be their next head coach

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
It's wait and see but I tend to believe this will end up being true.

No one in the NFL wants Chip Kelly as a head coach until further notice. While I'm sure he isn't exactly thrilled about returning to college, he needs to reestablish himself. Perhaps finally accepting that college is where he should be.

If he never executed the coup d'état in Philly, he'd have an NFL job, perhaps he'd still even be there. But he's a power hungry ego maniac and his NFL dreams are over for now.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Voight loves to buy the Chip Kelly is evil narrative that is fed to him by NFL media shills. UCLA opened up eliminated Florida so we all guessed wrong.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
UCLA usually has the athletes, not the coaching or the discipline. I suspect Chip will fix that. He's going into a pretty good situation, the only other team he really needs to worry about in the division is USC and occasionally Utah.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I guess the first source was bad. Florida didn't make any sense to me because Chip would hate being in that fishbowl. A UCLA, he still has that Southern California pipeline, and now doesn't have to convince them to go to Oregon. Or anywhere.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Interesting sure... but pretty silly to think his agent being an alum would have anything to do with Chip Kelly making up his mind in favor of UCLA.

Probably not, but if anything he can help sell the school.

Voight loves to buy the Chip Kelly is evil narrative that is fed to him by NFL media shills. UCLA opened up eliminated Florida so we all guessed wrong.

Huh???? :huh:

I guess the first source was bad. Florida didn't make any sense to me because Chip would hate being in that fishbowl. A UCLA, he still has that Southern California pipeline, and now doesn't have to convince them to go to Oregon. Or anywhere.

The best take I've seen is why would he care to coach/compete in the same conference as Saban when the Pac 12 is pretty open. Or at least doesn't have Saban.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
UCLA is/was one of the least aggressive schools on the recruiting trail. Oregon on the other hand, Chip Kelly inherited their system and simply utilized the talent he was given due to how aggressive their recruiting is. When I was in high school I played with some players who wound up playing at other Pac-12 schools including UCLA and Oregon. One of them was a high four star recruit who was visited by coaches from big out of state schools including Oklahoma. I can probably count on one hand the amount of times I saw UCLA's staff around campus or at games. At least double or triple for USC and Oregon. That will change now and as a USC fan I am worried about this.

The Eugene campus is one of the best in the country, players and their family don't really have to be convinced. Kids like the uniforms too. He needs to copy the recruiting pattern they have at Oregon. I don't know the intricacies of recruiting rules but they had a recruiter at every game my soph year. Planted right in the corner of the end zone with all his Oregon gear on. You couldn't miss him.

edit: after reading the rules it appears this is a recruiting violation that I have mentioned. Whoops.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
UCLA is/was one of the least aggressive schools on the recruiting trail. Oregon on the other hand, Chip Kelly inherited their system and simply utilized the talent he was given due to how aggressive their recruiting is. When I was in high school I played with some players who wound up playing at other Pac-12 schools including UCLA and Oregon. One of them was a high four star recruit who was visited by coaches from big out of state schools including Oklahoma. I can probably count on one hand the amount of times I saw UCLA's staff around campus or at games. At least double or triple for USC and Oregon. That will change now and as a USC fan I am worried about this.

The Eugene campus is one of the best in the country, players and their family don't really have to be convinced. Kids like the uniforms too. He needs to copy the recruiting pattern they have at Oregon. I don't know the intricacies of recruiting rules but they had a recruiter at every game my soph year. Planted right in the corner of the end zone with all his Oregon gear on. You couldn't miss him.

edit: after reading the rules it appears this is a recruiting violation that I have mentioned. Whoops.

UCLA doesn't have to be that aggressive, they still get athletes and they're in a huge market for it. They have teams that should be good. Oregon does, and they always do, because the high schools in Oregon aren't exactly hot beds for talent. Of course Oregon has a good stadium, campus, facilities (Chip's huge on facilities), city, etc. But it's still going to be easier to convince kids to stay home as opposed to leaving home, especially if they come from tough homes. There had to be a bunch of kids who he couldn't get just because they didn't want to stay far away from home, and the ones he got to steal from USC also don't have to leave home.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn

And one thing Chip Kelly hates doing is recruiting!

Although I don't understand why a school in LA needs to do a lotta that.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
They're prob gonna start 0-5 and prob finish 2-10.
Does he make it to year 3? What is his buyout?

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
And one thing Chip Kelly hates doing is recruiting!

Although I don't understand why a school in LA needs to do a lotta that.

I don't know about that. He recruited the hell out of my friend's nephew. He was committed to go to USC but while they were dragging their feet, Chip Kelly was calling the kid nearly every day and eventually won him over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad