U20 WC German Roster 2021/22

Fabianski

Feb 5, 2021
Hi Guys,

maybe a bit too early but a first look of the possible roster of the German U20 Team for the WC 2021/22

Reichel - Elias - Peterka
Volek - Dube - Hänelt
Borzecki - Blank - Schweiger
Lutz/Proske - Samanski - Rossmy
Kechter - Neumann - Leonhardt

Szuber - Glötzl
Münzberger - Klein
Dziambor - Geibel
Rausch - Stohwasser

Bugl
Tiefensee
Quapp

Reactions: Chapin Landvogt

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Hi Guys,

maybe a bit too early but a first look of the possible roster of the German U20 Team for the WC 2021/22.

Reichel - Elias - Peterka
Volek - Dube - Hänelt
Borzecki - Blank - Schweiger
Lutz
/Proske - Samanski - Rossmy
Kechter - Neumann - Leonhardt

Szuber - Glötzl
Münzberger
- Klein
Dziambor - Geibel
Rausch - Stohwasser

Bugl
Tiefensee

Quapp

I'd say the players I've bolded - if available - are surefire participants.

The players in italics are highly likely.

This year's U18 tourney in Texas will play a BIG role in determining what a good 3rd of next winter's WJC squad will look like.

Reactions: Fabianski

EHCler

May 9, 2003
Visit site
I would expect the other (Moritz) Elias on the team as well.

It is still early to call. The first forward line would be important so to lead the team.

Halfdan

May 23, 2017
Hockey rink
Reichel and Peterka are unavailable for the WJC U20 as is Stützle. First line in Camp: Münzenberger, Glötzl, Samanski, Schweiger, Volek. Stowasser and Elias are writing their high school diploma and did not travel. Schweiger is effectively the placeholder for Elias.

Reactions: Fabianski

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Reichel and Peterka are unavailable for the WJC U20 as is Stützle. First line in Camp: Münzenberger, Glötzl, Samanski, Schweiger, Volek. Stowasser and Elias are writing their high school diploma and did not travel. Schweiger is effectively the placeholder for Elias.

Thanks for the update!

Sounds like you are there watching?

Camps like this are great, but there are a good chunk of potential WJC candidates who aren't there just now.

And you've got to think that Julian Lutz, Leo Hafenrichter, and perhaps even the younger Elias have a shot as well.

Abstreiter was at the U18 and you've gotta think he's got most of the kids from that team that he'd like to see right now, but I can imagine that guys like Proske, van Calster, and maybe Cimmermann will be part of the fray come the fall.

Halfdan

May 23, 2017
Hockey rink
It's summer camp, which means some players may show up who I don't think have a realistic shot at making the WJC squad.

Moritz Elias you will probably not see. The coaches are not into him.

I'm getting some info. The hall is closed for all visitors.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
It is too bad that they will be missing their standout players like Stützle, Reichel and Peterka, because this should be a solid group, although still clearly outmatched at this level.
So I doubt they will have any chance to avoid the relegation round without those three, but by our standards the depth is not bad.

We have two good, albeit not exceptional, goalies with Bugl and Quapp.

We also have a surprisingly deep blueline. I would say Glötzl and Münzenberger are the obvious top pair, but the drop off to guys like Suber, Dziambor, Stowasser and Geibel is not as big as it has been in the past.

And even without Stützle, Peterka and Reichel there would still be a few decent forwards on this team. Blank really impressed me last season and can hopefully build on that, Dubé had a good tournament last year, Florian Elias should be the top forward on the team, Samanski, Borzecki and Volek are alright and then we will have to wait and see which of the younger (03 and 04) players will challange for spots.
You would expect Roßmy and Hänelt as well as Lutz and Kechter to be in the mix, and maybe the Heigl twins, Cimmerman or Proske. But overall it will be especially difficult for younger players to make the team this season, because many of them did not play and could not even have team practices last season, while the older players for the most part were able to play in the pro leagues, and the 02 group is one of the strongest and deepest we have had in a while.

All in all it could be a solid team. Again, I don't think they will avoid last place in their group, but if you look back at past teams and remove the top three players you would end up with a worse team than this one, most of the time.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
It is too bad that they will be missing their standout players like Stützle, Reichel and Peterka, because this should be a solid group, although still clearly outmatched at this level.
So I doubt they will have any chance to avoid the relegation round without those three, but by our standards the depth is not bad.

It's an opportunity for a lot of other guys to step up. Going to be very, very tough though.

We have two good, albeit not exceptional, goalies with Bugl and Quapp.

Should be very interesting to see if they're up to the task. If either could steal just one win in that preliminary round, that could mean everything.

We also have a surprisingly deep blueline. I would say Glötzl and Münzenberger are the obvious top pair, but the drop off to guys like Suber, Dziambor, Stowasser and Geibel is not as big as it has been in the past.

I'd even expect Klein, Menner, and Pilu - and perhaps Hafenrichter - to be in that mix, perhaps ahead of Gebiel and Stowasser.

Interesting, however, that if Klein were to be in the fold, he'd be the only Dman from the U18 WC to be part of the WJC squad.

And even without Stützle, Peterka and Reichel there would still be a few decent forwards on this team. Blank really impressed me last season and can hopefully build on that, Dubé had a good tournament last year, Florian Elias should be the top forward on the team, Samanski, Borzecki and Volek are alright and then we will have to wait and see which of the younger (03 and 04) players will challange for spots.

I'm very excited about Blank becoming part of this group and I'm very much hoping that Leonhardt starts showing the international hockey community what he's capable of. I really expect him to be one of the key factors by the time the tournament takes place.

Borzecki has much to prove while Samanski is becoming exciting, especially if his DEL season has him looking more like Wohlgemuth than Brunnhuber.

You would expect Roßmy and Hänelt as well as Lutz and Kechter to be in the mix, and maybe the Heigl twins, Cimmerman or Proske. But overall it will be especially difficult for younger players to make the team this season, because many of them did not play and could not even have team practices last season, while the older players for the most part were able to play in the pro leagues, and the 02 group is one of the strongest and deepest we have had in a while.

Nonetheless, exactly the kids you mention could all be better than a number of the players who we'll be seeing at the Summer Challenge in Füssen. If either of Rossmy or Hänelt, much less both, are drafted, then I can't see them being left off the squad.

Lutz and Kechter are arguably Germany's top prospects for the 2022 draft, so strong fall showings will have them at the WJC.

All in all it could be a solid team. Again, I don't think they will avoid last place in their group, but if you look back at past teams and remove the top three players you would end up with a worse team than this one, most of the time.

As things are now, it's hard to imagine that this team will be able to do much, or anything, on the power play while also having a real hard time shutting down the offensive waves that the top opponents will be able to throw on the ice.

As much as a kid like Elias can be a big plus for this team, he compliments better players. Who are those players going to be?

I can only imagine that some combination of Lutz, Hänelt, and Kechter will have to be ready to replace a good 75% of what last year's squad got from Stützle and Peterka.

Who knows though - maybe someone completely unexpected will step up this fall and force his way onto the team?

Maybe it'll be a kid like Niedenz or van Calster?

Last edited:
Reactions: Maverick41

Halfdan

May 23, 2017
Hockey rink
Lines in Camp:

Bugl, Quapp, Tiefensee

Stowasser - Glötzl
Schweiger, Samanski, Volek

Dziambor, Pilu
Borzecki - N. Heigl - Eham

Szuber - Schwaiger
Hänelt - Blank - Rutkowski

Reiner - Geibel
Leonhardt - Elias - Kechter

Klein - Menner
Roßmy - Petersen - Bartuli

Münzenberger enter the Team in December. Dube is actually injured.

Reactions: Chapin Landvogt

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Lines in Camp:

Bugl, Quapp, Tiefensee

Stowasser - Glötzl
Schweiger, Samanski, Volek

Dziambor, Pilu
Borzecki - N. Heigl - Eham

Szuber - Schwaiger
Hänelt - Blank - Rutkowski

Reiner - Geibel
Leonhardt - Elias - Kechter

Klein - Menner
Roßmy - Petersen - Bartuli

Münzenberger enter the Team in December. Dube is actually injured.

The bolded are now NHL properties.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Germany just completed the U20 Summer Challenge in Füssen, DE this weekend.

A rather close 3-1 loss against Slovakia (I thought Germany had much more going in puck possession than Slovakia did, which scored on a breakaway and into an empty net), was followed by very solid victories over the Czech Republic (5-0) and Denmark (8-1).

The player who jumped out at me the absolute most was Danjo Leonhardt. This is the first time I've seen him with his "peers" and he was clearly a smart player with strong positional play and some flash 'n dash, like on his first goal where he really took the Czech goalie to town.
I think he finished the tourney with 2-1-3.

Others were good as well and although he only had two assists, I saw some physically dominant play from Florian Elias, who will naturally have a big role on this team at the WJC.

Szuber was the most noticeable Dman, at least from what I saw. In general, there were only a few plays in which a Dman looked overrun or overmatched.

Definitely a good start.

PS) Bennet Rossmy didn't play a single game. Haven't seen any news as to why.

Reactions: Leaves34

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Germany should also have one of it not both of Peterka and Reichel for the tournament also. That’ll help their offensive struggles.

I would also like to see Hänelt run the 1st PP on D since the defence on Germany for the most part are very defensive orientated and it should help the PP.

I also hope they bring in some of the best ‘04 players like Lutz, Hauf and Krüger who should also help the offence.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Germany should also have one of it not both of Peterka and Reichel for the tournament also. That’ll help their offensive struggles.

I would also like to see Hänelt run the 1st PP on D since the defence on Germany for the most part are very defensive orientated and it should help the PP.

I also hope they bring in some of the best ‘04 players like Lutz, Hauf and Krüger who should also help the offence.

Which Krüger are you referring to?

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
As the WJC announcement approaches (still a good 3 weeks or so away), this was the line-up in Norway for the 4 Nations Tournament. The ones in red are the players who I feel as absolutely certain for the WJC - not just probable, but certain:
upload_2021-11-18_16-32-59.png

upload_2021-11-18_16-34-0.png

Attachments

• upload_2021-11-18_16-32-11.png
    upload_2021-11-18_16-32-11.png
    80.7 KB · Views: 6

Halfdan

May 23, 2017
Hockey rink
These players form the basic framework of the defense. That is for sure.
Arkadius Dziambor, Korbinian Geibel, Maximilian Glötzl, Fabrizio Pilu, Maksymilian Szuber

The consideration is whether seven or eight defenders will make the trip. With only seven defenders, it doesn't look good for the 2003 vintage.

The tension lies in the nomination of the forwards. In addition to the players you marked, John Jason Peterka and Lukas Reichel are also expected to be part of the team. They are working on it. I am not so optimistic, but that they would like to have these two is an open secret.

In goal, I think it comes down to the trio of Florian Bugl, Nikita Quapp and Niklas Lunemann.

Complement:
Lukas Reichel and JJ Peterka won‘t be part of the Team. Bad news!

Last edited:
Reactions: Kleefeld

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
There are several players on this team who are far worse than some of the guys playing in North America.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
There are several players on this team who are far worse than some of the guys playing in North America.

Not sure about several. Obviously Hänelt is out due to injury, but Proske should make that team over a number of the other forwards.
I don't know if I'd pick Niedenz or Elias over anyone else, maybe Niedenz as 14th forward. On D the only options would be Bettahar or Hafenrichter and I would not necessarily pick either one of them over 2 of the D-men on the list since one of them is going to be cut anyway.

So, only Proske for me for sure, and then a maybe for Niedenz and one of the 04 defensemen.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Not sure about several. Obviously Hänelt is out due to injury, but Proske should make that team over a number of the other forwards.
I don't know if I'd pick Niedenz or Elias over anyone else, maybe Niedenz as 14th forward. On D the only options would be Bettahar or Hafenrichter and I would not necessarily pick either one of them over 2 of the D-men on the list since one of them is going to be cut anyway.

So, only Proske for me for sure, and then a maybe for Niedenz and one of the 04 defensemen.
I agree. Proske should be there. And while I don’t necessarily like him, I even think Bettahar would be a good addition.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->