U18 World Cup: Sweden wins bronze - beat USA with 3-0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

An Ape called Yoko

May 15, 2003
Gothenborg
Visit site
Mobey said:
Not to diminish the achievement, but the USA was missing all their best players.

Yea I know they lacked a lot of players. i remember you guys saying that you lacked a lot of players last year before the tournament as well, but you ended up winning that one.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
rivercanyon said:
Yea I know they lacked a lot of players. i remember you guys saying that you lacked a lot of players last year before the tournament as well, but you ended up winning that one.

that's why last year was a fluke and they were lucky to get by Canada in the semi.

Jovo Cop

Good job Sweden ..well done .
Kudos to puerto Rico also . :lol

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
Jovo Cop said:
Good job Sweden ..well done .
Kudos to puerto Rico also . :lol

Concernig the Puerto Rico slight, I suppose the U.S. is now in the same situation with basket ball as Canada is with hockey. There is no doubt that we are still the leaders in B-Ball but the world has caught up and there are teams that can beat us on any given night. Canada learned the same lessons in the 1996 world cup and 98 Olympics. They will learn it once more during the upcoming world cup!

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
VOB said:
Concernig the Puerto Rico slight, I suppose the U.S. is now in the same situation with basket ball as Canada is with hockey. There is no doubt that we are still the leaders in B-Ball but the world has caught up and there are teams that can beat us on any given night. Canada learned the same lessons in the 1996 world cup and 98 Olympics. They will learn it once more during the upcoming world cup!

who cares about the upcoming world cup.....there are about 6 better teams out there with all the injured or guys that don't want to play.

allelsefails

Mar 31, 2004
Canton, OH
mahovlich said:
I just wish the U.S would begin to finally have the guts to put their heavyweight championship belt in baseball up for grabs as i'm sure they'll get a shock there as well as in basketball.I guess the powers that be figure that would just be too much for the American psyche to take (losing in the national pastime).The hockey world is a better place for Canada always having the guts and moxie to put it's title on the line every year,wish the U.S had the same fortitude with the sport that gives them all their warm,fuzzy feelings but as of yet they have'nt had the guts to do it.Even if we lose in the world cup you have to give credit for Canada always having the gonads to put it's title up for grabs,thats more than the U.S can claim.By the way,the U.S are'nt even in athens for baseball this olympics(they failed to qualify)Canada is there however and we beat the U.S to earn the right to go there.When will the U.S forget about how Canada does in hockey and start concentrating on proving they are the best in their so-called"our game"The world is waiting and Japan,The Dominican Republic,Puerto Rico, and even Cuba will have something to say about it.

Could care less, not a big fan of baseball... too slow for my taste.

And those who continually spout off that USA = #1, they are just loonies anyway. I was actually happy to see the USA basketball team get beat, maybe it will be a sign that times are changing and we can get off our high horse.

And sorry about your baseball fanatacism, might be better to go to a baseball forum? As far as I know, there is no "world-cup" for baseball to be apart of. Not sure how we could put our "title" of baseball up for grabs without a tourney like the Olympics, which we attended and failed to qualify, whoops guess we lost. Besides, the MLB basically consists of all those nations you stated anyway so I would highly doubt our chances.

southpaw

Dec 31, 2003
mahovlich said:
I just wish the U.S would begin to finally have the guts to put their heavyweight championship belt in baseball up for grabs as i'm sure they'll get a shock there as well as in basketball.I guess the powers that be figure that would just be too much for the American psyche to take (losing in the national pastime).The hockey world is a better place for Canada always having the guts and moxie to put it's title on the line every year,wish the U.S had the same fortitude with the sport that gives them all their warm,fuzzy feelings but as of yet they have'nt had the guts to do it.Even if we lose in the world cup you have to give credit for Canada always having the gonads to put it's title up for grabs,thats more than the U.S can claim.By the way,the U.S are'nt even in athens for baseball this olympics(they failed to qualify)Canada is there however and we beat the U.S to earn the right to go there.When will the U.S forget about how Canada does in hockey and start concentrating on proving they are the best in their so-called"our game"The world is waiting and Japan,The Dominican Republic,Puerto Rico, and even Cuba will have something to say about it.

You have absolutely no clue what you are talking about do you? List off all of the MLB players playing in the Olympics. First off, MLB teams are not going to release their players so they can go play in the Olympics...especially since the season is wrapping up and a lot of teams are in a hunt of the playoffs. Imagine the Yankees without 3/4 of their roster. How would they be able to compete...bring up minor leaguers to play out almost a month of the season? Good luck with that.

Secondly, the IOC has rules in place saying that MLB players are not allowed to play on the qualifying rosters. There is no rule in place that prohibits Japanese-league players from participating...but when the Olympics themselves prohibit the best players in the world from playing, please tell me how the U.S. is supposed to "put its title on the line."

The World Cup of Hockey ends on Sept 14th, a month before the NHL season starts. That is why that the oh great canada can risk losing because there isn't a league going on during the summer. Even when the winter olympics come around, the NHL stops the season so they can play in the Olympics.

You also seem to quickly forget that the U.S. won the Gold Medal in the 2000 Olympics, so please keep talking about how they are so scared to lose.

Finally, please get your facts straight before you start a rant about something you know nothing about. Canada and the U.S. never played in the qualifier...in fact Canada lost more games in the Olympic qualifier than the U.S. did. The United States only gave up 2 runs in 4 games (both in the final game vs Mexico) and had three straight shutouts yet were not awarded a spot in the Olympics because the way the tournament is set up.

Its pretty pathetic when only 2 of the 8 Olympic teams come from North/South America. I would have no problem with the U.S. not making it had teams like the Dominican Republic and Venezuela made it. However, when Europe is guaranteed 4 of 8 Olympic spots in the sport, it seems like there needs to be a new system in place to ensure that the best teams do actually make it in the tournament. If Canada or Cuba doesn't win the gold and silver, both countries should be ashamed. The talent pool from outside of the Americas is not very good at all.

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
mahovlich said:
My post got exactly the reaction i was sure it would get.So,how does it feel ?Now you know how Canadians felt when year after year we could'nt send our best players to the olympics and other competeitions and yet still have to listen to american fans go on about some useless blather about how"we have won gold medals in the olympics and it's been 50 odd years since you guys have)as if the olympics meant anything at all about hockey supremacy all those years.Here are Canadians sitting back having to listen to all that b.s and knowing all the time we would have been winning lots of gold medals if we had been allowed to send our best players.Think your miracle on ice would have happened in 1980 with the Canadian pros there?
i highly doubt it,all the Mike Eruziones ,Jim Craigs, and Herb brooks would'nt have saved you with them.As for me not knowing what i am talking about,well, where are you guys in Athens anyway?If you guys always like to go on about your hockey olympic victories why don't you extend the same kind of credibility to olympic baseball?Oh, thats right,it's because you realise(as Canadians did in hockey matters)that the olympics can sometimes be a joke when it comes to determining who is the best.Funny how the thing i hear Americans complaining about with Canadian fans(our aggravation at not being able to send our best for these competitions)is the exact thing you guys complain about when it comes to the subject of your beloved baseball.I think any reasonable fan on here can see right through your guys act.The U.S did'nt even qualify in athens this year,did'nt even qualify!! But i would'nt get on here going on about the U.S being overated in baseball because of this.I'm smart enough to know it was'nt your best players that were representing the country,so why bother wasting Canadian fans time with your olympic hockey victories,big deal right?
The American poster said Canada would lose in the world cup (talk about counting your chickens before they hatch) i simply pointed out the fact that at least we have the guts to put our heavywieght championship on the line all the time in our most beloved sport and that is more than the U.S can say.What is untrue or wrong about saying that? It's easy to talk the talk, it's walking the walk that is much more difficult and Canada has done that in hockey.You would think some respect would be given by american fans because of that,we've certainly earned it after all .

Eventhough you may not be fans of our hockey we are at least not afraid of taking on all comers,i thought that kind of spirt was respected in the so-called land of the home of the brave?. Regards and good luck on organizing that world cup of baseball when you get around to finally doing it.
But don't be shocked if someone(i can see the dominicans having a strong enough team to upset you) shows you guys you are also not the only ones who can play that game,and they have neither the reources and population that the U.S has. god, you guys should be dominating!! If the U.S can't even qualify for the olympics in "their game" why would you even bother saying if Canada does not medal it's a disgrace?Who are you kidding?You were'nt even good enough to be there.

As i said, i wish american hockey fans would concern themselves with their own hockey program instead of wasting so much of their time getting their self esteem on Canada's results.Does'nt make sense to me.

The fact is, it's Canadian posters like you that typically bring up this crap. For a country whose citizens are normally thought of as "reserved" and "humble," there sure is a lot of chest thumping, at least on this site. As for bringing other sports into the debate, you can do that in the lounge. Leave that nonsense out of here.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
mahovlich said:
Im sorry rabid ranger but when it comes to chest thumping and all the rest of those so-called detestable traits you mention,you guys pretty much wrote the book .If you don't beliveve me just ask any average joe from about any country in the world,they'll tell you!!I can bring in other sports if i wish,our fathers have fought for the freedoms we enjoy.
The boards are not like international politics where the U.S can throw their weight around and make others do as they see fit.In here people can do as they see fit and talk about what they wish,they don't need permission from uncle sam.If you don't wish to read it simply move to the next post and ignore,i'm not holding a gun over your head.There is nothing wrong with the posts i have made,you may not like them,as we don't like some of the Americans posts,but they have the right to make them.Hey, the guy made his chest thumping pronouncement on Canadian hockey and i felt obliged to answer him and bring up some points for him to ponder,whats the problem?
I personally have met a lot of Americans i like and think it's a great country but i'll still give their citizens my opinion when they have given theirs.Do you expect anything less? It's give and take on these forums and you know that.If your fans can give but absolutley refuse to take maybe a forum that focuses only on pro-U.S messages is the place for guys like you? I don't see what all the sabre rattling about this is for.It's *** for tat man, i would'nt lose my cool over it.You've made your points and i've made mine,thats life.It's not like i called all Americans a bunch of thieves or anything .He said we would be shown a lesson in the world cup and i simply told him that i would'nt worry about our placing in the world cup when we are perfectly willing to battle it out in the hockey arena while the same can't be said about the U.S in their sacred sport.It's not like that ain't true. Who's the bad guy here? If being the bad guy means bringing up any point that could be construed as negative towards the good ole U.S of A then there are going to be quite a few bad guys on these posts for you and they are not going to be all from Canada.It may seem like that to you since Canadians form the majority of the posters here because hockey is so popular in Canada.Go to a soccer forum and i bet Canadians will come across as fairly tame when it comes to views on Americans Negative american comments toward other countries seems to be o.k with you however. A little balance would seem to be in order since i don't have anything against you personally.I stand by what i said, i see no point in backslapping and sharing recipes when negativity has been put towards what i cherish. Do you only have that right?

You have the right to your opinion, no one will take that away and we in the good ole USofA will make sure of that :thumbu:

As for your rants on Baseball, very few Americans think of it as their national past time but I do agree that MLB should set up a tournament where all the major countries can go head to head. I am sure that the U.S. would do fine and be the odds on favorite to win. Could we lose? Sure, anything is possible.

As for the World Cup, I really don't think Canada will win, thats just my opinion and I believe that Canada's hold on the game of hockey is far less secure than say the U.S.'s hold in Baseball or even Basketball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad