U18 World Cup: Sweden wins bronze - beat USA with 3-0!

Discussion in 'International Tournaments' started by An Ape called Yoko, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
View Users: View Users
  1. An Ape called Yoko

An Ape called Yoko Registered User

Student
    Home Page:
    Missing their three best players, Sweden still managed to get a bronzemedal in World Cup. They just beat USA, 3-0. Swedens players born 87 are talented.

http://hokej.point.sk/live/live.php

2. William H Bonney

William H Bonney Registered User

Not to diminish the achievement, but the USA was missing all their best players.

3. An Ape called Yoko

An Ape called Yoko Registered User

Student
    Home Page:
    Yea I know they lacked a lot of players. i remember you guys saying that you lacked a lot of players last year before the tournament as well, but you ended up winning that one.

4. Form and Substance

Form and Substance Registered User

Does anyone know where I can find the roster list for all nations?

5. HabLover

HabLover Registered User

Home Page:
    that's why last year was a fluke and they were lucky to get by Canada in the semi.

6. Papa Smurf

Papa Smurf Registered User

Dont start...

7. Riddarn

Riddarn 1980-2011

Well Sweden also missed a some of their best players.

8. Jovo Cop

Jovo Cop Guest

Good job Sweden ..well done .
    Kudos to puerto Rico also . :lol

9. VOB

VOB Registered User

Home Page:

Concernig the Puerto Rico slight, I suppose the U.S. is now in the same situation with basket ball as Canada is with hockey. There is no doubt that we are still the leaders in B-Ball but the world has caught up and there are teams that can beat us on any given night. Canada learned the same lessons in the 1996 world cup and 98 Olympics. They will learn it once more during the upcoming world cup!

10. Papa Smurf

Papa Smurf Registered User

This thread is officially going to Hell.

11. HabLover

HabLover Registered User

Home Page:
    who cares about the upcoming world cup.....there are about 6 better teams out there with all the injured or guys that don't want to play.

12. allelsefails

allelsefails Registered User

Software Developer
    Could care less, not a big fan of baseball... too slow for my taste.

And those who continually spout off that USA = #1, they are just loonies anyway. I was actually happy to see the USA basketball team get beat, maybe it will be a sign that times are changing and we can get off our high horse.

And sorry about your baseball fanatacism, might be better to go to a baseball forum? As far as I know, there is no "world-cup" for baseball to be apart of. Not sure how we could put our "title" of baseball up for grabs without a tourney like the Olympics, which we attended and failed to qualify, whoops guess we lost. Besides, the MLB basically consists of all those nations you stated anyway so I would highly doubt our chances.

13. southpaw

southpaw Registered User

You have absolutely no clue what you are talking about do you? List off all of the MLB players playing in the Olympics. First off, MLB teams are not going to release their players so they can go play in the Olympics...especially since the season is wrapping up and a lot of teams are in a hunt of the playoffs. Imagine the Yankees without 3/4 of their roster. How would they be able to compete...bring up minor leaguers to play out almost a month of the season? Good luck with that.

Secondly, the IOC has rules in place saying that MLB players are not allowed to play on the qualifying rosters. There is no rule in place that prohibits Japanese-league players from participating...but when the Olympics themselves prohibit the best players in the world from playing, please tell me how the U.S. is supposed to "put its title on the line."

The World Cup of Hockey ends on Sept 14th, a month before the NHL season starts. That is why that the oh great canada can risk losing because there isn't a league going on during the summer. Even when the winter olympics come around, the NHL stops the season so they can play in the Olympics.

You also seem to quickly forget that the U.S. won the Gold Medal in the 2000 Olympics, so please keep talking about how they are so scared to lose.

Finally, please get your facts straight before you start a rant about something you know nothing about. Canada and the U.S. never played in the qualifier...in fact Canada lost more games in the Olympic qualifier than the U.S. did. The United States only gave up 2 runs in 4 games (both in the final game vs Mexico) and had three straight shutouts yet were not awarded a spot in the Olympics because the way the tournament is set up.

Its pretty pathetic when only 2 of the 8 Olympic teams come from North/South America. I would have no problem with the U.S. not making it had teams like the Dominican Republic and Venezuela made it. However, when Europe is guaranteed 4 of 8 Olympic spots in the sport, it seems like there needs to be a new system in place to ensure that the best teams do actually make it in the tournament. If Canada or Cuba doesn't win the gold and silver, both countries should be ashamed. The talent pool from outside of the Americas is not very good at all.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2004
  14. Rabid Ranger

Rabid Ranger 2 is better than one

Contract manager

The fact is, it's Canadian posters like you that typically bring up this crap. For a country whose citizens are normally thought of as "reserved" and "humble," there sure is a lot of chest thumping, at least on this site. As for bringing other sports into the debate, you can do that in the lounge. Leave that nonsense out of here.

15. VOB

VOB Registered User

Home Page:
    You have the right to your opinion, no one will take that away and we in the good ole USofA will make sure of that :thumbu:

As for your rants on Baseball, very few Americans think of it as their national past time but I do agree that MLB should set up a tournament where all the major countries can go head to head. I am sure that the U.S. would do fine and be the odds on favorite to win. Could we lose? Sure, anything is possible.

As for the World Cup, I really don't think Canada will win, thats just my opinion and I believe that Canada's hold on the game of hockey is far less secure than say the U.S.'s hold in Baseball or even Basketball.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.