Denmark: U18 World Champs roster?

andersej

Jul 16, 2009
Copenhagen
This tournament is coming up in just a few weeks. It's a great thing for Denmark to be in the top group at this age level, even if we will no doubt be limited to battling relegation.

Any ideas for a possible Danish roster?

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
This tournament is coming up in just a few weeks. It's a great thing for Denmark to be in the top group at this age level, even if we will no doubt be limited to battling relegation.

Any ideas for a possible Danish roster?

I'll comment on it when I see the roster if there is any glaring surprises!
But NA based players that are in playoff's - they will not be able to participate ?!

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
I'll comment on it when I see the roster if there is any glaring surprises!
But NA based players that are in playoff's - they will not be able to participate ?!

They won't. So don't get your hopes up for Ehlers and Bjorkstrand. It can happen, but they are on strong teams that are expected to go far.

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
They won't. So don't get your hopes up for Ehlers and Bjorkstrand. It can happen, but they are on strong teams that are expected to go far.

Well, Bjorkstrand is not participating no matter what; he is a U19 player now :D

But too bad we probably will miss both our best forward (Ehlers) as well as our best defender (Lassen). It is going to be uphill most of the time at the U18 WJC, I am afraid.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
This is my roster for the 2014 U18 WJC:

So Thomas Lilie as goalie, Morten Jensen & Jeppe Winther I know as two good d-prospects and Alexander True has been leading Rungsted to the U17 championship.

Other than that I don't really know the expectations of the other players. I have a feeling though it's pretty good in goal and defense compared to "normal danish standards".

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
So Thomas Lilie as goalie, Morten Jensen & Jeppe Winther I know as two good d-prospects and Alexander True has been leading Rungsted to the U17 championship.

Other than that I don't really know the expectations of the other players. I have a feeling though it's pretty good in goal and defense compared to "normal danish standards".

The following comments are given under the circumstance that the final roster will look more or less like the team I have suggested.

Yes, this team is pretty good in goaltending compared to the average Danish junior national team. To be fair; with George Sørensen we have been spoiled on the goaltending position the last coupe of years. But Thomas Lilie is a really good goaltender and should be our clear no. 1 in this tournament.

Also the defense is good compared to the average Danish junior national team, but Matias Lassen will be missed. Without him most of our offence from the D-position will have to come from Morten Jensen. Another D profile will be Anders Krogsgaard I am sure.

Our forward corpse seems solid but without a high profile now that Ehlers cannot participate.
Most noticeable players will probably be Markus Jensen (brother to Nicklas Jensen, VAN), Søren Nielsen and Kristian Jensen.

All in all it seems like a solid Danish junior national team. In my opinion it will not be as strong as last years team, but it is certainly better that most other U18 teams we have had.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
The following comments are given under the circumstance that the final roster will look more or less like the team I have suggested.

Yes, this team is pretty good in goaltending compared to the average Danish junior national team. To be fair; with George Sørensen we have been spoiled on the goaltending position the last coupe of years. But Thomas Lilie is a really good goaltender and should be our clear no. 1 in this tournament.

Also the defense is good compared to the average Danish junior national team, but Matias Lassen will be missed. Without him most of our offence from the D-position will have to come from Morten Jensen. Another D profile will be Anders Krogsgaard I am sure.

Our forward corpse seems solid but without a high profile now that Ehlers cannot participate.
Most noticeable players will probably be Markus Jensen (brother to Nicklas Jensen, VAN), Søren Nielsen and Kristian Jensen.

All in all it seems like a solid Danish junior national team. In my opinion it will not be as strong as last years team, but it is certainly better that most other U18 teams we have had.

Yeah solid seems to be a good description, but I find it a bit week on the forward side. The 1996-1997 are unusually strong with d-men compared to normal years, but beside Ehlers less in forwards. [1995 was very strong in forwards].
Seems 1998-1999 really has something going with forwards if they keep developing.....

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Struzinski has chosen this camp roster:

Goalies[3]:
Thomas Lilie, Vojens
Mathias Seldrup, Herning
Lasse Petersen, Parkland Rangers(?)

Backs[8]:
Anders Krogsgaard, Esbjerg
Jeppe Vinther, Frederikshavn
Christian Mieritz, Rødovre
Morten Jensen, Røgle
Nicolai Carstensen, Vojens
Lasse Bo Knudsen, Aalborg
Alexander Rønnest, Frederikshavn
Jeppe Holmberg, Esbjerg

Forwards[16]:
Martin Eskildsen, Vojens
Søren Nielsen, Esbjerg
Thomas Olsen, Frölunda
Kristian Jensen, Luleå
Marcus Jensen, Herning
Emil Grandal, Herning
Mathias Klussmann, Rødovre
Frederik Rasmussen, Vojens
Frederik Høeg, Odense
Sebastian Brinkmann, Aalborg
Emil Oliver Christensen, Rødovre
Jeppe Jul Korsgaard, Aalborg
Alexander True, Rungsted
Nicklas Andersen, Esbjerg
Sebastian Ruders, Herning
Nicolai Ehlers, Halifax Mooseheads

Danmark

May 5, 2014
How do you guys, think the 2015 roster will look? - Here is my bid:

Goalie
Lasse Munk Petersen, Swan Valley
Jakob Müller Hansen, Herlev
Andreas Lauridsen, Esbjerg

Backs
Nicolai Weichel, Rungsted
Morten Jensen, Rögle
Anders Koch, Esbjerg
Jakob Jessen, Herning
Mathias Røndbjerg, Rungsted
Oliver Joakim Larsen, Odense

Forwards
Jeppe Jul Korsgaard, AIK
Joachim Blichfeld, Malmö
Rasmus Andersson, Malmö
Mathias From, Rögle
Jacob Schmidt-Svejstrup, Selects hockey Academy
Niklas Andersen, Esbjerg
Sebastian Brinkman, Aalborg
Tobias Ladehoff, Aalborg
Oliver Christensen, Aalborg
Mathias Severin Sørensen, Esbjerg
Frederik Høeg, Odense
Nikolaj Krag Christensen, Rødovre
Alexander True, Seattle Thunderbirds

12 honourable mentions:
Valdemar Ahlberg, Linköping
Magnus Molge, Malmö
Jonas Røndbjerg, Rungsted
Christian Gade, Rungsted
William Boysen, Rungsted
Ludvig Adamsen, Victoria
Arne Olesen, Zug (If he is a possibility, I would take a look at him) - http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=317405
Daniel Nielsen, SønderjyskE
Jonas Sander, Hvidovre
Christian Wejse, Esbjerg
Kristoffer Søgaard Jensen, Herning

Someone missing? Or have would you build the team?

EDIT: Miss Alexander True!, he is in the squad now.

Last edited:

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
How do you guys, think the 2015 roster will look? - Here is my bid:

Goalie
Lasse Munk Petersen, Swan Valley
Jakob Müller Hansen, Herlev
Andreas Lauridsen, Esbjerg

Backs
Morten Jensen, Rögle
Anders Koch, Esbjerg
Jakob Jessen, Herning
Mathias Røndbjerg, Rungsted
Oliver Joakim Larsen, Odense

Forwards
Jeppe Jul Korsgaard, AIK
Joachim Blichfeld, Malmö
Rasmus Andersson, Malmö
Mathias From, Rögle
Jacob Schmidt-Svejstrup, Selects hockey Academy
Niklas Andersen, Esbjerg
Sebastian Brinkman, Aalborg
Tobias Ladehoff, Aalborg
Oliver Christensen, Aalborg
Mathias Severin Sørensen, Esbjerg
Frederik Høeg, Odense
Nikolaj Krag Christensen, Rødovre
Alexander True, Seattle Thunderbirds

12 honourable mentions:
Valdemar Ahlberg, Linköping
Magnus Molge, Malmö
Jonas Røndbjerg, Rungsted
Christian Gade, Rungsted
William Boysen, Rungsted
Ludvig Adamsen, Victoria
Arne Olesen, Zug (If he is a possibility, I would take a look at him) - http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=317405
Daniel Nielsen, SønderjyskE
Jonas Sander, Hvidovre
Christian Wejse, Esbjerg
Kristoffer Søgaard Jensen, Herning

Someone missing? Or have would you build the team?

EDIT: Miss Alexander True!, he is in the squad now.

A Swiss trained D seems interesting, as they have good D in the Swiss system - Fun to see another Swiss trained Dane.

Actually, that D looks suprisingly strong.

If Røndbjerg is as good as they say, would he not be good enough for Div1 despite his young age?

On the forward side - JACOB SCHMIDT-SVEJSTRUP & JEPPE JUL KORSGAARD look interesting - Anyone give a 4-1-0 on them?

Jeppe rocking a nice hockey wig :)

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
A Swiss trained D seems interesting, as they have good D in the Swiss system - Fun to see another Swiss trained Dane.

If Røndbjerg is as good as they say, would he not be good enough for Div1 despite his young age?

On the forward side - JACOB SCHMIDT-SVEJSTRUP & JEPPE JUL KORSGAARD look interesting - Anyone give a 4-1-0 on them?

Røndbjerg should get a look, age, size, and conservatism will work against him. According to eliteprospects he is the U18 player with the highest PPG in 1. divisionen. In U17 he has scored 27 points in 4 games, that is 6.75 PPG, it's a short sample size, but I thought that stat was pretty insane, even for U17 in Denmark.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Røndbjerg should get a look, age, size, and conservatism will work against him. According to eliteprospects he is the U18 player with the highest PPG in 1. divisionen. In U17 he has scored 27 points in 4 games, that is 6.75 PPG, it's a short sample size, but I thought that stat was pretty insane, even for U17 in Denmark.

That is pretty dominant!

But yeah he is very small and light, but also very young - So prolly take him another 2-3 years for him to at least gain some bulk. Height is not as important. But he is very slight atm standing at - 132 lbs.

Havent watched a lot of hockey in DK this season, how has he fared in the Metal Liga? - I know pts are not high, but he is very young and prolly playing bottom 6 hockey because of this. But has he looked out of place? Or mismatched physically?

Danmark

May 5, 2014
Do you guys know, if this guy, Arne Olesen, has been a part of some national team sessions? As mentioned, the Swiss J17 league, is a great place to develop, as a player.

Albert Adamsen, will also play in Swiss in this season.

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
That is pretty dominant!

But yeah he is very small and light, but also very young - So prolly take him another 2-3 years for him to at least gain some bulk. Height is not as important. But he is very slight atm standing at - 132 lbs.

Havent watched a lot of hockey in DK this season, how has he fared in the Metal Liga? - I know pts are not high, but he is very young and prolly playing bottom 6 hockey because of this. But has he looked out of place? Or mismatched physically?

Luckily size isn't as big a factor in division 1 as it is in the top division, so if he gets on the team, it won't be as big a problem. I haven't watched a lot of DK hockey this year either, so I would too like to hear some thoughts on how he's looked.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen

Yeah the 96-97 years may have a few more promising d-prospects, than we are normally used to (one top prospect probably being standard each year).
From 1995 Sonny Herzberg is the primary one.

From Valdemar's original:

1996:
Anders Krogsgaard, Esbjerg (D)
Matias Lassen, Rødovre (D)
Jeppe Vinther perhaps as well, though he didn't make the U20 roster as the two mentioned above him were the only 1996 players that did.

1997:
Morten Jensen, Rögle (SWE) (D)
Christian Mieritz, Rødovre (D) - was also close to the U20 roster.
Nicolai Höjer Weichel, Rungsted (D)

So that gives us six pretty solid D-men for next years WC-U20. With Thomas Lillie in goal it also looks good.
The 1996-forward side is pretty weak though, compared with 1995, especially since Nikolaj Ehlers most likely wont play next year.....

Last edited:

Danmark

May 5, 2014
The J18 won yesterday - 4-1 against Latvia.

0-1 Mathias From (Sebastian Brinkmann, Morten Jensen)
0-2 Mathias From (Sebastian Brinkmann)
0-3 Mathias Sørensen (Sebastian Ruders, Christian Mieritz)
1-3 Belcers R. (Rubins)
1-4 Mathias From (Morten Jensen)

The squad for this 4 nations tournament.
Målmænd:
Kasper Krog, Vojens IK
Jacob Müller, Herlev

Backs:
Anders Præstegaard, Frederikshavn
Chris Thomsen, Frederikshavn
Morten Jensen, Rögle
Oliver Gatz, Aalborg
Anders Koch, Esbjerg

Forwards:
Kristoffer Søgaard, Herning
Oliver Anker Christensen, Aalborg
Mathias From, Rögle
Tobias Ladehoff, Aalborg
Nicolaj Krag Christensen, Rødovre
Lasse Duga, Herning
Frederik Høeg, Odense
Mathias Sørensen, Esbjerg
Sebastian Brinkmann, Aalborg
Daniel Nielsen, Vojens
Jeppe Jul Korsgaard, AIK Stockholm
Niklas Andersen, Esbjerg

They will play Belarus today and Norway tomorrow.

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
So the division I A started this weekend, and has been a good tournament for the Danish team so far. They started off with an expected 9-1 victory over the Hungarian hosts, and followed that up with a 4-3 overtime win over Belarus today. You are of course all wondering, how about Norway? Well Norway has had a rather bad start to the tournament with overtime losses to Belarus and France. France looks like a strong team, and are currently tied with Denmark for the lead. Denmark meets France next, and a regulation win would put Denmark very close to promotion. I am not sure about the tiebreaker rules, and can't find the appropriate document on the IIHF site, but we might need to at least take Norway to overtime in the final game, unless Norway loses points to Kazakhstan or Hungary, but that is probably unlikely.

Vandalay Industries

Feb 13, 2008
That is pretty dominant!

You can't count on the heights and weights found different places on the internet. I don't think eliteprospects and which ever general sites you might use are checking up on every single player.

Perhaps use the club sites for those kind of things. I usually check the club site, IIHF and Eliteprospects. Which ever site has the highest numbers for the young guys is probably the one which is updated the best. And it's usually fresh IIHF-numbers from WJC or the club sites which are correct. I've never seen Eliteprospects have the most recent updates, but it might happen.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
You can't count on the heights and weights found different places on the internet. I don't think eliteprospects and which ever general sites you might use are checking up on every single player.

Perhaps use the club sites for those kind of things. I usually check the club site, IIHF and Eliteprospects. Which ever site has the highest numbers for the young guys is probably the one which is updated the best. And it's usually fresh IIHF-numbers from WJC or the club sites which are correct. I've never seen Eliteprospects have the most recent updates, but it might happen.

That's true..

I just used it as an indicator.

Im guessing he is not the biggest kid.

Really looking forward to seing him next season, might give us a better picture as of what to expect from him career wise.

Is he (top 3 rounds) draft material? Maybe higher? Or are the reports of him being on par with Ehlers pure bias?

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
That's true..

I just used it as an indicator.

Im guessing he is not the biggest kid.

Really looking forward to seing him next season, might give us a better picture as of what to expect from him career wise.

Is he (top 3 rounds) draft material? Maybe higher? Or are the reports of him being on par with Ehlers pure bias?

About a month ago I posted the below in the "Danish prospects" thread. I don't think that (lack of) size will be of big concern in the future. Already now, 2 years before he could potentially be drafted, he is 184 cm (6') and 80 kg (176 lbs.). I would probably not compare him with Ehlers (who could become a star), but I must admit that what he has accomplished until now is impressive.

There is an informative article about Jonas Røndbjerg on the homepage of Rungsted Ishockey. You can find it here.

To those not familiar with him; he is one of the most promising Danish junior players since Nikolaj Ehlers. He is born in 1999 and will be eligible for the 2017 NHL draft.

It is in danish but the main points are:

Modest, likeable, smiling and hardworking.
He was rather small when he had his debut in the best Danish league last year (September 2014) with a height of 171 cm (5'7") and a weight of 71 kg (156 lbs.). Now (June 2015) he is 184 cm (6') and 80 kg (176 lbs.).
Coach Olaf Eller (yes, father to Habs player Lars Eller) says; "I have sat and looked at his test results, and he could well be one that takes a huge leap forward in the coming season".
Co-coach Per Holten Møller: "He has the whole package. Proficient offensively and skilled on the defense. Good attitude and hardworking, and he should just work on being more decisive when he finishes".

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
I assume we might see him in the u20 wc in finland?

We are going to need everybody who can contribute with goals.

Vandalay Industries

Feb 13, 2008
Jonas Røndbjerg is an entirely different player than Nikolaj Ehlers. A completely different skillset.

Ehlers brings speed and opportunism. Deking. Scoring. A lot of individuality, but low on team skills.

Røndbjerg is all team skills. His game is extremely mature and he would be a lot more anonymous to an average fan because he just does everything a coach would ever ask for without any complaining. Of course he scores a lot against players his own age, but on a U20 roster this year or a U18 roster last year he would be a lot more anonymous as a shut down player, just as he is in the Metal League.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->