Post-Game Talk: U18 World Championships

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Cole Caufield's tourney is impressive, but also keep in mind Toni Rajala also looked unreal during the U18s and is second in all time points within a tournament behind Kucherov.

The issue I have with Caufield is that his scoring will dry up in the NHL or go through a slump and then he will become completely ineffective. He doesn't have any playmaking skills, nor is a great skater or have solid defence skills.

With that being said I hope a team picks him before us and Zegras drops.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Philip Broberg really helped himself in this tournament....somebody is going to get an impact d-man in the 12-15 range. Hopefully he's on the Canucks radar screen at #10.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
how much weight has been shown in this tourney in the past?
i heard its better for evaluating than WJC, but how good exactly?

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
how much weight has been shown in this tourney in the past?
i heard its better for evaluating than WJC, but how good exactly?

There are a few top players not playing in this tournament. It's not best on best.
These short tournaments can help showcase what a player does well, but you can't put too much weight to it.
A bad tournament won't kill a players stock, but it could allow other players who are playing well to pass them.

That's just how I look at it

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I’m so torn in this draft. There’s so many players I want.

I’d honestly be happy with anyone, but Caufield, Newhook, and Soderstrom really impress me. Then you have players like Brinks, Heinola... then the possibility of someone falling aka Boldy.

I legit have no clue who we are going to take. In previous years we had a feeling what we where going after... I have no clue this year.
It's Newhook or Boldy for me among the forwards that might drop. They both have decent size and projectable NHL skills that will stand out at the highest level. It's very hard to stomach the risk of taking a 5'6" forward that can't skate well.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
It's Newhook or Boldy for me among the forwards that might drop. They both have decent size and projectable NHL skills that will stand out at the highest level. It's very hard to stomach the risk of taking a 5'6" forward that can't skate well.

To be honest, this is my problem as well. And if Pod drops, I am afraid of the Russian contract issue...
So, I agree, I may lean towards Boldy or Newhook as well. But I just wonder if there will be a surprise top 10 player chosen, as there is every year- and we see another option fall to us.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
1. Caufield seems to be a product of Hughes. He can finish for sure but I dont see a play driver or someone that's good with the puck.

Smart player ...lethal shot .. not sure it warrants 10th OA .

2. Cam York is not getting enough love

3. Boldy would be a steal at 10 OA

4. Zegras is the best draft eligible playmaker but disappears when he doesnt have the puck. Tons of potential tho

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Are you making that claim just based off this tournament alone?

No, but this is the first I've got to watch him other than highlights and his play makes me feel stronger about his numbers in the USHL which are off the charts.

Looks miles ahead compared to the other defence prospects in this tournament.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Would not mind if Pod drops to 10, he would be an awesome winger on Pettersson's line

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Lucas Raymond Hat Trick. Sweden wins it in OT. What a tournament for Broberg, he was all over the ice today.

Podkolzin with his best game of the tournament today.

Steely Van

Oct 12, 2018
How good is Newhook? Tyson Jost dominated this tournament a few years back and put up similar numbers as Newhook in the BCHL. Is it worth taking Newhook at 10OA if he only ends up putting up Jost's NHL stats?

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
That's the issue with BCHL, you can either have a Makar or Jost, both dominated the BCHL.

Jost seems to produce at every level except the NHL

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Wow !!

I just re watched the gold medal game.
2 thoughts.

1. Broberg is severely under rated. Size Speed Skating and Mean to boot. I also dont see the limited offensive IQ that people are claiming is the reason he isnt top 10. His skating is so powerful. Generates so much leg power.

2. Lucas Raymond is a Filip Forsberg clone.

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
Wow !!

I just re watched the gold medal game.
2 thoughts.

1. Broberg is severely under rated. Size Speed Skating and Mean to boot. I also dont see the limited offensive IQ that people are claiming is the reason he isnt top 10. His skating is so powerful. Generates so much leg power.

2. Lucas Raymond is a Filip Forsberg clone.
Ive said all year that Broberg is a better prospect than Söderstrom. I like his skating and size, there is so much upside in Broberg.

Raymond actually looks more like Näslund to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad