Post-Game Talk: U18 World Championships

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Newhook is having an amazing tournament.

He looks like the best player on Canada. IMO he has one of the highest offensive talents in this draft. He can play either as a center or a winger.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
I’m so torn in this draft. There’s so many players I want.

I’d honestly be happy with anyone, but Caufield, Newhook, and Soderstrom really impress me. Then you have players like Brinks, Heinola... then the possibility of someone falling aka Boldy.

I legit have no clue who we are going to take. In previous years we had a feeling what we where going after... I have no clue this year.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
I’m so torn in this draft. There’s so many players I want.

I’d honestly be happy with anyone, but Caufield, Newhook, and Soderstrom really impress me. Then you have players like Brinks, Heinola... then the possibility of someone falling aka Boldy.

I legit have no clue who we are going to take. In previous years we had a feeling what we where going after... I have no clue this year.
Hoping Boldy

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
I hope the Canucks have Newhook on the radar at 10 as another possibility. Looking good, offensive talent and great skater.

Same.I like his game but was a bit skeptical of taking him at #10 due to the lower level competition he faced but this U18 tourney shows that he can excel against top players in his age group.I was thinking that a trade down scenario then pick him up in the mid-first would be a good option but he might not last that long.
I'd take him at #10 over Podzolkin or Zegras if they're still on the board.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
I hope the Canucks have Newhook on the radar at 10 as another possibility. Looking good, offensive talent and great skater.

"Speed for days and the disregard for safety to use it anywhere. Dangerous hands, good hockey sense and is equally deadly with the pass or the shot. Already a strong defensive player. A slow start in the BCHL has made way to an extended hot streak." - From Cam Robinson

Newhook definitely has the attributes that Brackett loves, and can sell to Benning/Weisbrod.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Fortunately most of these guys have been exposed to the scouts for their entire seasons, regardless of what league they played in. This is critical in my view, because there international tournaments can oft-time provide a totally skewed assessment of players.

Let's face it, there are countries in this tournament icing teams that would have trouble competing against 'club teams' in virtually every NA junior league. So the gaudy stats and highlight reel plays are an optical illusion.

Undoubtedly there are players who'll help themselves in this tournament while others might be quiet. But not really sure what it all means in terms of changing the draft rankings.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
2 more goals for Caufield vs Latvia.

Zegras playing really well as well...just a wizards playmaker w. The puck.

John Beecher is also a very intriguing prospect. Playing very well this tourny.

6'3 200lbs Centre . Projected to go in 2nd rnd. Committed to university of Michigan this September.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Krebs stock is dramatically rising considering he is a true center as well. He should be picked in the top 7.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Boldy has disappeared a little since Zegras came back into the lineup and took his spot w Hughes and Caufield

Boldy not meshing as well with Turcotte and Bobby Brink

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Might see pod at 10.
Call it spade of spade, he has had a massively disappointing tourney

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Really hope the Canucks stay away from Podkolzin. He is just too risky and in my opinion doesn't look like he is going to create much offense

It'll be interesting if Podkolzin starts falling towards 10 OA. I'd be surprised if we took the risk, frankly. I don't see our management or scouts being in a particularly risky mood at this draft. They can't have another Virtanen/Juolevi incident.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Thomas Harley is really impressing.

Button thinks he has top pairing potential and close to a Thomas Chabot mould.

Big long fantastic skating / shooting offensive dman

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Philip Broberg has been fantastic at both ends of the rink.

Bjornfot or Korczak would be nice gets with our 2nd round pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad