Post-Game Talk: U18 World Championships

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
I like that Caufield and Boldy are blowing their hype through the roof late, means that theres a better chance that someone from the top 9 falls

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It happens every year at the WJC Under-18. Somebody lights it up against a bunch of the B-level countries and jumps in the draft. Seem to recall that Oli Juolevi dominated this tournament one year as a 17-year old d-man....and Benning cited that as one of the reasons they drafted him.

Because the competition is so uneven in these international tournaments, the stats can be misleading.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Podkolzin Could fall big just because of the scary factor with him.
He could be last years Zadina,or the previous years Vilardi....?

Drafting Russians that have some playing experience in the CHL is a pretty safe bet...Drafting Russians that have only played in the Motherland definitely has that risk element.

Reactions: Steely Van

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
He could be last years Zadina,or the previous years Vilardi....?

Drafting Russians that have some playing experience in the CHL is a pretty safe bet...Drafting Russians that have only played in the Motherland definitely has that risk element.

There is little risk in top end Russians, it just might take them 1-2 seasons longer to come over that's all

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
It happens every year at the WJC Under-18. Somebody lights it up against a bunch of the B-level countries and jumps in the draft. Seem to recall that Oli Juolevi dominated this tournament one year as a 17-year old d-man....and Benning cited that as one of the reasons they drafted him.

Because the competition is so uneven in these international tournaments, the stats can be misleading.
Sometimes these risers are the real deal. Last year Kotkaniemi rose all the way to #3, tho maybe other teams wouldnt have drafted him. But was the right choice probably, to which i remember a certain Russia loving mod laughing at me that i was ranking him too high.

Once again M2B nailed it :yo:

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver

You mean the WJC when he had 9 points in 7 games as a 17 year old?

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
I think we might have to trade up to land Boldy at this point

If not.... Bobby Brink or Cole Caufield would be nice consolation prizes.

I'm praying teams value the big centers in Dach/Cozens and take them before us. Podkolzin should hopefully be gone too.

This crop of American talent is special.

Caufield one goal away from tying Kessel's U18 goal record. He has played 3 games lol

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Caufield scores again. Ties the USA goal-scoring record of Kessel at the U18's with 9 goals.

He has played 3 games.

Last edited:
Reactions: Canucks LB

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011

Juolevi played in the U20 world Juniors in his draft season. But yeah he played on the best Finnish team in history.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Caufield is a scoring machine lol. He never seems to have the puck on his stick for long. He's just like Boeser. You don't notice him for the entire game but he scores 2-3 goals

just22

Aug 2, 2009
If Kucherov can break the U18 scoring record and still be selected in the late 2nd round, who knows.

But at this point I’d be surprised if Caufield isn’t selected by the Oilers.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
While smaller players succeed more now in the Nhl , it’s still the exception , not the rule. While intriguing , I’m still very nervous about his size.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I was under the impression Boldy is likely gone before we pick, but Caulfield would be a surprise. Would be interesting to see who falls in that scenario.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
I haven't seen Podkolzin's games, has he actually been bad or underwhelming or just unlucky? I think he's a great player so a little surprised he's not scoring more.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
I haven't seen Podkolzin's games, has he actually been bad or underwhelming or just unlucky? I think he's a great player so a little surprised he's not scoring more.

He has been average , nothing eye amazing but his Russian team is also not that great.

His game has a bit of Rick Nash / Vlad Tarasenko in it tho.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
If Kucherov can break the U18 scoring record and still be selected in the late 2nd round, who knows.

But at this point I’d be surprised if Caufield isn’t selected by the Oilers.

I think the Oilers take Krebs at #8 if he is there

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
I think the Oilers take Krebs at #8 if he is there

I think that's a very likely scenario,along with the Sabres taking Boldy.This is a really hard to predict draft with rankings all over the place and late risers like Caufield and possibly Newhook getting consideration in the top 10.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
I think that's a very likely scenario,along with the Sabres taking Boldy.This is a really hard to predict draft with rankings all over the place and late risers like Caufield and possibly Newhook getting consideration in the top 10.

I hope the Canucks have Newhook on the radar at 10 as another possibility. Looking good, offensive talent and great skater.

Reactions: Russian_fanatic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad