Post-Game Talk: U18 World Championships

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Caufield with his 4th goal of the game. Assisted by Hughed and Boldy.

Lmao 7 goals in 2 games for CC. No wonder he broke a 15 yr Phil Kessel record for a goal scorer with USNDT

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Great games from Caufield, Boldy and Krebs!
Granted it’s just one game but I do not want Soderstrom or Broberg with our 10th. Soderstrom has too much of a vanilla game and Broberg imo has always been overhyped.
I really don’t get this at all. Soderstrom is not vanilla, where is that coming from? He’s going to be a top pairing guy imo and he has a lot of exceptional tools like his passing, vision and IQ. I do want Boldy then Caufield at 10 though.

Reactions: Steely Van

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
I really don’t get this at all. Soderstrom is not vanilla, where is that coming from? He’s going to be a top pairing guy imo and he has a lot of exceptional tools like his passing, vision and IQ. I do want Boldy then Caufield at 10 though.

Soderstrom sounds too much like Julovei to me, and there are just too many exciting, better scoring forwards in the top 10 to go down that path again. Horvat and Pettersson badly need legit top 6 wingers. BPA always.

Reactions: bh53

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Soderstrom sounds too much like Julovei to me, and there are just too many exciting, better scoring forwards in the top 10 to go down that path again. Horvat and Pettersson badly need legit top 6 wingers. BPA always.
Oh 100% I take a BPA (which will be one of the US forwards most likely) forsure. But Soderstrom is still an excellent RHD who is much more dynamic and creative offensively than He’s being credited for. Btw Juolevi will still be a top 4 guy just you wait.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Oh 100% I take a BPA (which will be one of the US forwards most likely) forsure. But Soderstrom is still an excellent RHD who is much more dynamic and creative offensively than He’s being credited for. Btw Juolevi will still be a top 4 guy just you wait.

I hope so. But “high IQ, makes a good first pass, solid 2 way defenceman” I’ve heard before and it just isn’t moving my needle over some of these higher ranked dynamic forwards for a Canuck team among the lowest scoring teams in hockey. Also how many small defenceman can you have in one top 6? These playoffs are proving physical hockey and winning puck battles are not dead.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Boldy or Caufield will be there at 10, wingers always slip.

The top 12 of this draft is elite.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
The reason this draft is getting underrated is that the top end is underwhelming compared to the last few years, but the skill is more evenly distributed among the top 10.

Not the worst year to end up in the shallow end. We’ll still have a good shot at elite talent where we are.

Agree.I think in a few years the top 12 or so picks will all turn out to be very good players barring injuries.

Last edited:

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Jimbo basically said there’s basically no chance they’re going to draft another small top six forward.

Unless he’s talking about free agency, which pretty much means no caufield.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Podkolzin Could fall big just because of the scary factor with him.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Krebs Caulfield and Heinola really making this a top 12 of this draft

After 1 and 2 its pretty open. I mean there are some guys who are favoured to go sooner and some later but these things can be hard to predict. Ive seen Byram from 3-7, Turcotte from 3-10, Dach from 3-12, Etc. Arizona last year showing its tough to predict the draft order if a team really likes a guy making him a riser.

Too bad about Caulfield and Boldy playing so well right now, was really hoping for them, they would be amazing wingers for us

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I hope so. But “high IQ, makes a good first pass, solid 2 way defenceman” I’ve heard before and it just isn’t moving my needle over some of these higher ranked dynamic forwards for a Canuck team among the lowest scoring teams in hockey. Also how many small defenceman can you have in one top 6? These playoffs are proving physical hockey and winning puck battles are not dead.
With all due respect to all those USNDP players with gaudy stats, you do realize that Soderstrom is a 17-year old taking a regular shift on the blueline in the Swedish Elite League. In some respects, since defense is a tougher position, Soderstrom is quietly putting together a season almost as impressive as Pettersson did last season in a men's pro league. Just sayin'.

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
With all due respect to all those USNDP players with gaudy stats, you do realize that Soderstrom is a 17-year old taking a regular shift on the blueline in the Swedish Elite League. In some respects, since defense is a tougher position, Soderstrom is quietly putting together a season almost as impressive as Pettersson did last season in a men's pro league. Just sayin'.

If I recall, I believe Soderstrom has the lowest Corsi on his team.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
If I recall, I believe Soderstrom has the lowest Corsi on his team.
Really? Maybe we should stay away from him then. If there going for a dman why not Heionla

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014

Not a pick I want. Juolevi all over again. "makes a great first pass and plays a steady 2 way game"

With Stecher and Hughes thats 3 175-180 lb defensemen. The top 10 of this draft is all about good forwards. Lets just do the sensible thing for once and not get too clever and end up with another Thachuk fiasco.

This inept scoring team needs some top end forwards and this is the draft to get them.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018

I don’t think he has top pairing upside. He reminds me a lot of a Jonas Brodin type defensemen. Nothing wrong with that but I think they’re a lot better options than him at 10. Watched him again today, and got what I expected. Decent puck moving dman who is good in a own zone, nothing special though.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Kuzma article, Paraphrasing but he basically said that we need a bigger player in the top six that’s more physical for the playoffs

He wasn't referring to the draft he was referring to our lineup in the upcoming season so basically he wants to find a big skilled forward via trade or free agency.

At 10 were likely drafting someone 3 yrs away

Reactions: lindgren

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
He wasn't referring to the draft he was referring to our lineup in the upcoming season so basically he wants to find a big skilled forward via trade or free agency.

At 10 were likely drafting someone 3 yrs away
Hope so

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad