U18 World Championship General Discussion

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
It's not just the team he plays on.
Saint John doesn't allow their d the freedom most other teams do, and defensemen are regularly stuck with rushes coming at them because they play a possession offense with undersized forwards.
In terms of raw ability, Yann Sauve makes Alex Grant look like chump change. Their is a wide gap, due to Yann's speed (he's our fastest player), and his confidence.

That being said, Yann is probably the 7th d-man on the team, and you might as well take someone who can return. It probably doesn't hurt that his equipment manager is the team equipment manager.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
i looked at braden holtby's profile on that page and it says he's birthday is september 16, 1989. doesnt that make him eligible for the 08 draft, but it says he's eligible in 07.

turnbuckle*

Keven Veilleux will be a key player with team canada. He performed great during playoff in Victoriaville. Some guys here call him soft, watch how he hits when the game is important.

What playoffs were that?

It's not only guys "around here" calling him soft, the guys that actually go to games and scout him are saying he's soft as well. Victoriaville won two playoff games and he scored one goal while continuing to avoid being hit like the plague. If that to you is "performing great", so be it. I realize you've hyped him all year so i suppose that's not going to stop.
I don't think playing on the big ice against 17-year-old Europeans is necessarily going to prove how tough or soft he is, but hey, that's my opinion. That one hit he made during the "all star game" is going to get all the mileage it can get I see. Too bad he didn't think the playoffs were an important time to hit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Sauve's a good player but Pietrangelo is the best 90' defenseman in the world in my opinion.

Eastside Hockey Manager disagrees. Sauvé became one of the best d-men in the league in my game and I've yet to find room for Pietroangelo in my team so he's kind of stuck in the AHL. At the age of 28, so he's career is pretty much over. :sarcasm: ;) :D

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Team USA drops their opening ex. game to the Swiss 4 - 3. I guess these games don't mean much considering the NA teams just got over there and are trying to get over jet lag, etc. Perhaps the Swiss aren't too bad though?

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Roster for team Russia:

Goaltenders:
Vadim Zhelobnyuk - Dinamo
Alexander Perchursky - Metallurg Mg.

Defencemen:
Yakov Seleznev - Neftyanik Len.
Maxim Goncharov - CSKA
Nikolai Lukyanchikov -Kapitan
Vasily Tokranov - Neftyanik Alm.
Mikhail Churlyaev - Metallurg Mg.
Dmitri Kulikov - Rus
Vyacheslav Vojnov - Traktor
Maxim Chudinov - Severstal

Forwards:
Nikita Klyukin - Lokomotiv
Andrei Loktionov - Lokomotiv
Alexei Cherepanov - Avangard
Egor Averin - Avangard
Vitaly Karamnov - Dinamo
Sergei Korostin - Dinamo
Kirill Petrov - Ak Bars
Maxim Mayorov - Neftyanik Alm.
Evgeny Dadonov - Traktor
Nikita Filatov - CSKA
Sergei Andronov - Lada
Dmitri Kugryshev - CSKA
Dmitri Kagarlitsky - Khimik

Training Camp Cuts:
Dmitri Voloshin - Metallurg Mg.
Andrei Kolesnikov - Neftyanik Len.
Mikhail Pahnin - Mechel
Maxim Isaev - Dinamo
Albert Polinin - Lokomotiv
Evgeny Grachev - Lokomotiv
Alexander Vasiliev - Dinamo
Dmitri Tsyganov - Avtomobilist
Pavel Chernov - Khimik
Dmitri Klopov - Torpedo Nov.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Perhaps the Swiss aren't too bad though?

They've done well this year. So have the Swedes. It's exhibition but I wouldn't be surprised to see the Swedes and even the Swiss do well when the tournament begins. It's hard to say for the Canadians since they just got together but I feel the US team hasn't seemed to have the results thier talent would suggest this year.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Roster for team Russia:

Goaltenders:
Vadim Zhelobnyuk - Dinamo
Alexander Perchursky - Metallurg Mg.

Defencemen:
Yakov Seleznev - Neftyanik Len.
Maxim Goncharov - CSKA
Nikolai Lukyanchikov -Kapitan
Vasily Tokranov - Neftyanik Alm.
Mikhail Churlyaev - Metallurg Mg.
Dmitri Kulikov - Rus
Vyacheslav Vojnov - Traktor
Maxim Chudinov - Severstal

Forwards:
Nikita Klyukin - Lokomotiv
Andrei Loktionov - Lokomotiv
Alexei Cherepanov - Avangard
Egor Averin - Avangard
Vitaly Karamnov - Dinamo
Sergei Korostin - Dinamo
Kirill Petrov - Ak Bars
Maxim Mayorov - Neftyanik Alm.
Evgeny Dadonov - Traktor
Nikita Filatov - CSKA
Sergei Andronov - Lada
Dmitri Kugryshev - CSKA
Dmitri Kagarlitsky - Khimik

Training Camp Cuts:
Dmitri Voloshin - Metallurg Mg.
Andrei Kolesnikov - Neftyanik Len.
Mikhail Pahnin - Mechel
Maxim Isaev - Dinamo
Albert Polinin - Lokomotiv
Evgeny Grachev - Lokomotiv
Alexander Vasiliev - Dinamo
Dmitri Tsyganov - Avtomobilist
Pavel Chernov - Khimik
Dmitri Klopov - Torpedo Nov.

That's 8 '90 born players as I count it. I know the '90 birth year in Russia is supposed to be quite good. Who are the players to watch amongst that group?

It also seems to Russian '89s have dissapointed this year. Cherepanov has obviously been a huge surprise and both Mayorov and Korostin have thier fans but outside of that it seems pretty empty.

You don't have Mayorov's and Korostin's stats for this year, do you? I assume they played in the High League, right? Any opinions on them? Am I underrating some of the other '89s?

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
as a sarnia sting fan we better hope that allan millar gets his butt over to finland and scouts this tourney in prep.for the CHL import draft.we need 2 good euro's that can step in and play right away.:teach:

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
That's 8 '90 born players as I count it. I know the '90 birth year in Russia is supposed to be quite good. Who are the players to watch amongst that group?

Petrov, Voinov, Loktionov, Filatov.

It also seems to Russian '89s have dissapointed this year. Cherepanov has obviously been a huge surprise and both Mayorov and Korostin have thier fans but outside of that it seems pretty empty.

You don't have Mayorov's and Korostin's stats for this year, do you? I assume they played in the High League, right? Any opinions on them? Am I underrating some of the other '89s?

Mayorov has been playing in the High League for Neftyanik Leninogorsk and Neftyanik Almetevsk, his regular season stats were 7 goals and 12 points in 33 games. Korostin has primarily played in the First Division with Dinamo-2 but has also been called up to play for Dinamo, he is scoreless in his 7 RSL games. Whether you are underrating any other 89s depends on your definition of empty.

Vince15

Jan 30, 2007
World U-18 Championship

Who are the players to watch at the tournament? Cherepanov? Esposito? Turris? VanRiemsdyk? Couture? Someone else? Nobody will impress? What do you think?

Bégin is the bestest*

Yann Sauvé will be a top 5 player drafted next year in 08. Sauvé was the leader of Team Québec last year during the U17or U16 tournament and i'm not surprised to see him making the team of Team Canada for this tournament.

i wish Jean-Simon Allard would have make the team too, i'm sure he's better than some ontarians or west players on the team, he'll be drafted in the 2nd round this year.

and why Ben Maxwell havent made the team? is he too old?

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Yann Sauvé will be a top 5 player drafted next year in 08. Sauvé was the leader of Team Québec last year during the U17or U16 tournament and i'm not surprised to see him making the team of Team Canada for this tournament.

i wish Jean-Simon Allard would have make the team too, i'm sure he's better than some ontarians or west players on the team, he'll be drafted in the 2nd round this year.

and why Ben Maxwell havent made the team? is he too old?

Maxwell was born in 1988, making him too old.

I hope you are right on Sauve, big d-man who's been pretty highly touted.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
should be interesting to see how espo does considering he was once ranked #1 prospect.this might be an opportunity for him to redeem himself.

Divine Wind

Who are the players to watch at the tournament? Cherepanov? Esposito? Turris? VanRiemsdyk? Couture? Someone else? Nobody will impress? What do you think?

Most of this year's top of the draft class will be there. The tournement begins April 11th and runs through to the 22nd.

http://www.iihf.com/Hydra/Tournamen...e/jsp/content/web_output/index.jsp@compId=109

Some key draft eligible players from some countries attending this year.

Canada: Angelo Esposito, Kyle Turris, Logan Couture, Colton Gilles, Eric Doyle, Brandon Sutter, John Negrin, Mark katic, Keven Veilleux.

USA: JVR, James O'Brien, Ryan Mcdonagh, Thomas Cross

Czech: Vladimir Ruzicka, Jakub Voracek, David Stitch

Russia: Alexei Cherepanov, Maksim Mayorov, Sergey Korostin

Sweden: Joakim Andersson, Mikael Backlund, Oscar Moller

We may also get a sneak peak at next year's draft eligible defenseman Drew Doughty (Canada) and center Steven Stamkos (Canada) if they make the team. Both should go top 10 in the 2008 NHL draft.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Most of this year's top of the draft class will be there. The tournement begins April 11th and runs through to the 22nd.

http://www.iihf.com/Hydra/Tournamen...e/jsp/content/web_output/index.jsp@compId=109

Some key draft eligible players from some countries attending this year.

Canada: Angelo Esposito, Kyle Turris, Logan Couture, Colton Gilles, Eric Doyle, Brandon Sutter, John Negrin, Mark katic, Keven Veilleux.

USA: JVR, James O'Brien, Ryan Mcdonagh, Thomas Cross

Czech: Vladimir Ruzicka, Jakub Voracek, David Stitch

Russia: Alexei Cherepanov, Maksim Mayorov, Sergey Korostin

Sweden: Joakim Andersson, Mikael Backlund, Oscar Moller

We may also get a sneak peak at next year's draft eligible defenseman Drew Doughty (Canada) and center Steven Stamkos (Canada) if they make the team. Both should go top 10 in the 2008 NHL draft.

??????

They are both on the team.

Divine Wind

??????

They are both on the team.

I saw they were on the entry list, but the rosters have not been posted yet. I wasn't sure if they would be playing, which is possible since 22 players are listed on the entry lists.

Has anyone seen any sort of line up for Canada yet? Forward lines and defense pairings?

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
I saw they were on the entry list, but the rosters have not been posted yet. I wasn't sure if they would be playing, which is possible since 22 players are listed on the entry lists.

Has anyone seen any sort of line up for Canada yet? Forward lines and defense pairings?

thats not the entry list. thats their final roster. both doughty and stamkos made the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->