U18 World Championship General Discussion

agent

Jul 15, 2006
saskatchewan
You list a few players off Kootenay, who are something like 48-17 and would be a heck of a longshot to be gone in the first round.

Of the WHL teams who are out as of now, I'd have as likely canditates:

- Lethbridge ... Boychuk, King, Bancks
- Portland ... Mucha, Sceviour
- Kelowna ... Almond, Schenn
- Saskatoon ... Gillies
... if Moose Jaw is out, Bast and Ehrhardt are possibles, but if PA is out they don't really have anyone.

A player I'd love to see in this tournament is Carter Bancks of Lethbridge. Reminds me of Darren Helm in his draft year - isn't that big, and the stats don't look great because he wasn't given a lot of offensive opportunities, but he can flat-out fly, has a bunch of untapped offensive potential, and would be tailor-made for the large ice surface. One of my favourite mid-round sleepers right now.

I would have to agree that Kootney should be in the second round.

Will Gillies be effected by his suspension for CFB at the end of the season? And past conduct like at the Canada Russia challenge.

I think Bast would be a great asset on the Penalty Kill.

Should be interesting to see which teams fall out of the first round by surprise.

agent

Jul 15, 2006
saskatchewan
This might change your opinion on Rowat

The guys in bold above are basically locks to make the club. I would almost guarantee they have already been contacted about being part of the team and have accepted unless injuries come into play.

I think a guy like Linden Rowat could be named to the team if the Regina Pats are knocked out of the WHL playoffs in the first round, although it might be a good idea to talk to Cann and Mucha or Leclerc now and lock them up early. I don't think there's much of a difference between any of them.

Look for guys like Doughty, Sutter, Arniel, Turris, Katic, Hickey, Couture, Stamkos, Esposito and hopefully Tavares named to the team after they are all eliminated from the 1st round of the CHL playoffs starting this weekend. Riley Nash out of the BCHL could also have a chance at the team, but he may be a bit of a long shot at this point.

Canada could have a real fine team if things fall into place in the next week or so.

After seeing Bast score 2 goals in less than a minute against Rowat I question him being a possible goalie pick. http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=288079

turnbuckle*

Turris, Nash, Winnett and Zabotel are all finished their playoffs as well.

i would expect at least a couple of them to be invited.

Shawinigan is out as well. I would suspect that Simon Lacroix will get an invite - at least I think he should.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
I can confirm the goalies are Trevor Cann of the OHL's Peterborough Petes and Braden Holtby of the WHL's Saskatoon Blades, not sure if there will be a third goalie along for the ride. Eight players in total have been named to the team as of Monday afternoon...those are the only two names I know however...PM me for details!!!

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Well, with Sarnia the first ones out, I'm hoping for Katic and possibly Stamkos to make the under 18's.

I would almost guarantee Katic is on the team, unless he is still nursing injuries? Stamkos has an excellent chance as well, but remember he is a 1990 born and this tournament is essentially for 1989 born kids. Canada is very deep at the '89 age group and doesn't really need to go looking for any '90's, but you never know? I guess it depends on what comes available in the next few days.

I can confirm the goalies are Trevor Cann of the OHL's Peterborough Petes and Braden Holtby of the WHL's Saskatoon Blades, not sure if there will be a third goalie along for the ride. Eight players in total have been named to the team as of Monday afternoon...those are the only two names I know however...PM me for details!!!

Kind of surprising if Holtby is named, although the kid played a ton of games this year in Saskatoon and held up pretty good. Mucha and Leclerc are other good ones, but apparently Leclerc is still injured. I am sure Linden Rowat or Tyson Sexsmith would have been named, but both are pretty much moving on deeper in the WHL playoffs.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Turris, Nash, Winnett and Zabotel are all finished their playoffs as well.

i would expect at least a couple of them to be invited.

Shawinigan is out as well. I would suspect that Simon Lacroix will get an invite - at least I think he should.

Obviously Turris is guaranteed to be on the team if he is not injured.

Nash might have a good chance, but there are a bunch of 1989 forwards who could be named. Winnett should at least get some consideration, but I doubt Team Canada would ever go with 3 Junior 'A' players.

Zabotel is too old, players have to be born in 1989 or later.......Zabotel is born in 1988.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
I don't believe Aliu has represented Canada at any level of international play yet. He did not play in the U17 tourney last year for Ontario and did not get an invite to the U18 camp last summer and obviously did not play for Canada at the U18 Junior World Cup last August. So I guess you could have him if you guys want?

Alas, Aliu didn't make Russia's preliminary roster.

derbyfan

Nov 23, 2002
Visit site
Could you please give some background on Aliu?
I had no idea he had any connection to Russian hockey. Unless you jest. :p:

brewins09

Feb 9, 2007
With Guelph being eliminated last night, there is no doubt Doughty will be named to the team and probably Arniel as well.

For sure Doughty will be named and I really hope they give Arniel a shot. He has played very well this year for Guelph, leading in goals and playing a strong game in all zones. Like Doughty, he too is an 08 draft.

Nielson81

Feb 28, 2002
www.hockeysfutureradio.com
Zack Boychuk has been confirmed on the roster as well.

He will be one of the top offensive weapons.....beyond Turris I don't know if there is another player who will be available that can match Zack's offensive flair.

turnbuckle*

Halifax is unlikely to make it to round 2 so Logan MacMillan is likely a lock for the team.

Drummondville will likely beat Quebec so Esposito could become available.

It's not looking like Logan will be going anywhere. Halifax is really riding a wave of momentum with three straight victories. Logan keeps piling up the points after having only 38 in his first 57 games.

If there were questions about Jakub being a top five pick they have certainly been answered the past couple of months and now in the playoffs. You may not be right about the series but it certainly looks like you were correct in liking Voracek so much. I've liked what I've seen of late, and from all reports he's pretty dominant in games I haven't scouted.

He's by no means a whiz in his own end, but that's something that can be worked on; there aren't many people in this draft with his skill/size package.

So - has anyone heard of more names? I tried PMing Salostyle for the "details" of the 8 players he said knew were invited, he PMed back with a link to a newspaper with no story that I could find.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
It's not looking like Logan will be going anywhere. Halifax is really riding a wave of momentum with three straight victories. Logan keeps piling up the points after having only 38 in his first 57 games.

If there were questions about Jakub being a top five pick they have certainly been answered the past couple of months and now in the playoffs. You may not be right about the series but it certainly looks like you were correct in liking Voracek so much. I've liked what I've seen of late, and from all reports he's pretty dominant in games I haven't scouted.

He's by no means a whiz in his own end, but that's something that can be worked on; there aren't many people in this draft with his skill/size package.

So - has anyone heard of more names? I tried PMing Salostyle for the "details" of the 8 players he said knew were invited, he PMed back with a link to a newspaper with no story that I could find.

I don't think it's very hard to figure out who has been named so far, but I guess there is always a surprise or two. I wouldn't have picked Holtby, if in fact he is one of the goalies named so far?

My guess would be;

Boychuk
Turris
Gillies
Torquato
Schenn
Katic
Cann
Holtby

and as far as the rest, well, Doughty would be a lock as of last night, Arniel should be there, Dwight King, Colton Sceviour, Alex Grant and Olivier Fortier should be named already or soon. I guess there are injuries that have to be considered that we may not know about. Yves Bastien should be there again and guys like Riley Nash, Brad Malone, JS Allard, Kevin Veillieux, Eric Doyle and others will be considered for sure. Esposito, Couture, Sutter, Negrin, etc. could all come available soon.

turnbuckle*

I don't think it's very hard to figure out who has been named so far, but I guess there is always a surprise or two. I wouldn't have picked Holtby, if in fact he is one of the goalies named so far?

My guess would be;

Boychuk
Turris
Gillies
Torquato
Schenn
Katic
Cann
Holtby

and as far as the rest, well, Doughty would be a lock as of last night, Arniel should be there, Dwight King, Colton Sceviour, Alex Grant and Olivier Fortier should be named already or soon. I guess there are injuries that have to be considered that we may not know about. Yves Bastien should be there again and guys like Riley Nash, Brad Malone, JS Allard, Kevin Veillieux, Eric Doyle and others will be considered for sure. Esposito, Couture, Sutter, Negrin, etc. could all come available soon.

Thanks; I'm already aware of who COULD be picked...I want to know who IS picked.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Thanks; I'm already aware of who COULD be picked...I want to know who IS picked.

I guess you will have to wait for the roster to come out then won't you.......until then it's all speculation.;)

Zach Boychuk has been named, as posted on the Lethbridge Hurricanes website. No mention of Dwight King.

Does anyone have the final Team USA roster and someone posted the Russian team has been named?

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Could you please give some background on Aliu?
I had no idea he had any connection to Russian hockey. Unless you jest. :p:

I actually don't know all that much. He was born in Nigeria, moved to Russia when he was approximately a year old, and then left for Canada at age 12. I would guess he has more connection to Canada because that is where he presently resides, but on the other hand he spent a greater portion of his life in Russia: including the all important developmental years.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
...and someone posted the Russian team has been named?

This is the preliminary roster:

Goaltenders:
Vadim Zhelobnyuk - Dinamo
Alexander Perchursky - Metallurg Mg.
Dmitri Voloshin - Metallurg Mg.

Defencemen:
Andrei Kolesnikov - Neftyanik Len.
Yakov Seleznev - Neftyanik Len.
Maxim Goncharov - CSKA
Mikhail Pahnin - Mechel
Nikolai Lukyanchikov -Kapitan
Vasily Tokranov - Neftyanik Alm.
Maxim Isaev - Dinamo
Mikhail Churlyaev - Metallurg Mg.
Dmitri Kulikov - Rus
Vyacheslav Vojnov - Traktor
Maxim Chudinov - Severstal
Albert Polinin - Lokomotiv

Forwards:
Evgeny Grachev - Lokomotiv
Nikita Klyukin - Lokomotiv
Andrei Loktionov - Lokomotiv
Alexei Cherepanov - Avangard
Egor Averin - Avangard
Vitaly Karamnov - Dinamo
Sergei Korostin - Dinamo
Alexander Vasiliev - Dinamo
Kirill Petrov - Ak Bars
Maxim Mayorov - Neftyanik Alm.
Evgeny Dadonov - Traktor
Dmitri Tsyganov - Avtomobilist
Dmitri Kagarlitsky - Khimik
Pavel Chernov - Khimik
Nikita Filatov - CSKA
Dmitri Kugryshev - CSKA
Sergei Andronov - Lada
Dmitri Klopov - Torpedo Nov.

derbyfan

Nov 23, 2002
Visit site
I actually don't know all that much. He was born in Nigeria, moved to Russia when he was approximately a year old, and then left for Canada at age 12. I would guess he has more connection to Canada because that is where he presently resides, but on the other hand he spent a greater portion of his life in Russia: including the all important developmental years.

At first I thought you were joking.
I had absolutely no idea Aliu had a Russian connection...:amazed:

Superfly Jimmy Snuka

Aug 12, 2006
can guarantee john tavares will not be on this team, as the gens moved on in the playoffs this year.....Stamkos however id be surprised if he wasn't named to the team

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Zack Boychuk has been confirmed on the roster as well.

He will be one of the top offensive weapons.....beyond Turris I don't know if there is another player who will be available that can match Zack's offensive flair.

Add Logan Couture to the roster.........Ottawa was eliminated tonight.

Couture missed the Junior World Cup last August because of an injury when Canada won gold. Hopefully this will offset some of the other guys who won't be available from the gold medal team.

derbyfan

Nov 23, 2002
Visit site
The question is, how many underagers will be added to this squad?

With several players from the remarkably strong '08 draft class available, how many will get named?

To name three from the OHL, I'm talking:

Steve Stamkos (Sarnia)
Drew Doughty (Guelph)
Alex Pietrangelo (Mississauga)

When does the roster get named anyway, is it today?

brewins09

Feb 9, 2007
The question is, how many underagers will be added to this squad?

With several players from the remarkably strong '08 draft class available, how many will get named?

To name three from the OHL, I'm talking:

Steve Stamkos (Sarnia)
Drew Doughty (Guelph)
Alex Pietrangelo (Mississauga)

When does the roster get named anyway, is it today?

My guess is they stick with 89's since the 90's have already been to the u17's. Could be wrong though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad