U18 World Championship General Discussion

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Here's my take on who will be available and potential prospects for Team Canada at the U18 IIHF World Championships. Should be a good club, regardless who is available;

GOALIES

Kurtis Mucha - WHL
Justin Leclerc - WHL
Trevor Cann - OHL

DMEN

Luke Schenn - WHL
Eric Doyle - WHL
Thomas Hickey - WHL
John Negrin - WHL
Drew Doughty - OHL
Mark Katic - OHL
Alex Grant - QMJHL

FORWARDS

Colton Sceviour - WHL
Zach Boychuk - WHL
Colton Gillies - WHL
Dana Tyrell - WHL
Brandon Sutter - WHL
Dustin Sylvester - WHL
Dwight King - WHL
Kyle Turris - BCHL
Logan Couture - OHL
Yves Bastien - OHL
Akim Aliu - OHL
Zack Torquato - OHL
Jamie Arniel - OHL
Josh Bailey - OHL
Steven Stamkos - OHL
JS Allard - QMJHL
Olivier Fortier - QMJHL

RayLeeCharles

Aug 31, 2005
WaSt
Id like to see Dustin Tokarski (G) get a shot at the international stage. Hes been very solid in his rookie season here in Spokane, hes just my homer pick.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
I am sure there is an obvious answer to this question but where is Tavares? Playoffs?

Tavares would be there no doubt, but I am just guessing Oshawa makes it into the 2nd round of the OHL playoffs and therefore, Tavares would be unavailable for Team Canada. But hey, let's hope Oshawa gets knocked out in the 1st round and Tavares can play!

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Tavares would be there no doubt, but I am just guessing Oshawa makes it into the 2nd round of the OHL playoffs and therefore, Tavares would be unavailable for Team Canada. But hey, let's hope Oshawa gets knocked out in the 1st round and Tavares can play!

Without solid defense and goaltending it will be tough for Oshawa to go far imo. I only started to follow the team when they picked up Loic Lacasse, but wow do they give up a ton of shots.

FTowwn

Jan 25, 2006
Canada
Katic will probly not be eligible, sarnia will go farther than the 2nd rd in this years playoffs

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
When does the u-18 tournament take place? And will it be televised? I know a couple games TSN televised.

Bobby39

Jan 19, 2007
The way Sarnia is playing of late both Katic and Stamkos will be playing for Canada. I can't wait to see those two on the big ice.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Anyone know if Turris and his Burnaby team have a chance in their BCHL playoffs and if so, could it jeopardize Turris being named to Team Canada. I know the Royal Bank Cup is not until May, so hopefully Burnaby gets knocked out asap in the BCHL playoffs. Turris is up to 63 goals so far this season and could get to 70 in the last 4 games of the season here. Quite amazing for a 17 yr old and when you think about it, that no other player is even at 50 goals right now, it's even more amazing.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
How about guys like Jon Blum, Thomas McCollum, Jeremy Smith, etc. joining Team USA if possible?

Blum and Smith will probably be in the playoffs for a while.

It'd be nice to see what McCollum could do but it's not a sure thing he'll be available and the NTDP's goaltending duo of Phillips and Unice have both played quite well against international competition. Phillips is the more highly touted of the two and has better stats on the whole year but Unice has a .942 save percentage in 5 international games. How could they justify leaving either one at home? It may just end up being a case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
Team canada u-18 world championsip

Anyone know what kind of team canada will have? When is the tournament? Will the 1st rd of playoff in the chl be over before they annonced the team?

jay-P

Dec 21, 2005
Finland
Anyone know what kind of team canada will have? When is the tournament? Will the 1st rd of playoff in the chl be over before they annonced the team?

Here's some info regarding the tournament: http://www.u18mm2007.fi/default.asp?kieli=826

From my vantage point, it's too bad that Canada and USA play their first games in Rauma and not in Tampere. Fewer transportation options and a longer trip to boot. Still, gotta go see the USA-Canada match-up on 4/15.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Here's my take on who will be available and potential prospects for Team Canada at the U18 IIHF World Championships. Should be a good club, regardless who is available;

GOALIES

Kurtis Mucha - WHL
Justin Leclerc - WHL

DMEN

Luke Schenn - WHL
Eric Doyle - WHL
Thomas Hickey - WHL
John Negrin - WHL

FORWARDS

Colton Sceviour - WHL
Zach Boychuk - WHL
Colton Gillies - WHL
Dana Tyrell - WHL
Brandon Sutter - WHL
Dustin Sylvester - WHL
Dwight King - WHL

You list a few players off Kootenay, who are something like 48-17 and would be a heck of a longshot to be gone in the first round.

Of the WHL teams who are out as of now, I'd have as likely canditates:

- Lethbridge ... Boychuk, King, Bancks
- Portland ... Mucha, Sceviour
- Kelowna ... Almond, Schenn
- Saskatoon ... Gillies
... if Moose Jaw is out, Bast and Ehrhardt are possibles, but if PA is out they don't really have anyone.

A player I'd love to see in this tournament is Carter Bancks of Lethbridge. Reminds me of Darren Helm in his draft year - isn't that big, and the stats don't look great because he wasn't given a lot of offensive opportunities, but he can flat-out fly, has a bunch of untapped offensive potential, and would be tailor-made for the large ice surface. One of my favourite mid-round sleepers right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->