U18 WJC: Group B - Discuss games, players here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Tournament page: http://www.iihf.com/hydra/tournaments/output/W18/
Quick-link to the liveticker: http://195.162.151.17/hydra.iihf.com/Web_Output/P_Web_Tournament_Bottombd8b.html

Other resources:
http://www.hockeycanada.ca/
http://www.usahockey.com/
http://www.hockeynews.se/ (in Swedish)

GROUP A
Czech Republic
Finland
Norway
Russia
Slovakia

Results
08 April: Norway vs. Russia 4-8
08 April: Czech Rep vs. Slovakia 1-1
09 April: Finland vs. Norway 9-0
10 April: Russia vs. Czech Rep 1-1
10 April: Slovakia vs. Finland 2-2
11 April: Norway vs. Slovakia 2-8
12 April: Czech Rep vs. Norway 7-0
12 April: Russia vs. Finland 5-2
13 April: Finland vs. Czech Rep 1-1
13 April: Slovakia vs. Russia 2-2

Current Standings
1. Russia, 6p
2. Czech Rep, 5p
3. Slovakia, 5p
4. Finland, 4p
5. Norway, 0p

Basic rules
- The top 3 teams make the playoffs
- The team that finishes first advance directly to the semifinal

Last edited:

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
the top 4 teams are really close in this group (although Finland has yet to play russia, the czechs and slovakia). Feels bad that one of these teams will not make the medal round.

Pekka Lampinen

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki
Visit site
There's no making sense of this mess of a group, Slovakia-Finland 2-2. Both teams almost committed suicide with ten two min minors for Slovaks and eleven for Finns.

Finland and Russia are in similar situations with two tough games left. For both teams two victories mean a certain semifinal spot and two defeats certain elimination, it's pretty scary in that respect. The Central Europeans are more driftwood-like at this point; with two victories they can still be topped or two defeats still saved.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Imagine if the top 4 teams end the group play with the exact amount of points. Drama.

Ego

Mar 15, 2002
Slovakia
Visit site
Laituri said:
There's no making sense of this mess of a group, Slovakia-Finland 2-2. Both teams almost committed suicide with ten two min minors for Slovaks and eleven for Finns.

Finland and Russia are in similar situations with two tough games left. For both teams two victories mean a certain semifinal spot and two defeats certain elimination, it's pretty scary in that respect. The Central Europeans are more driftwood-like at this point; with two victories they can still be topped or two defeats still saved.

I`ve heard referee was really miserable. I think it`s great start for Slovak Team.

Pekka Lampinen

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki
Visit site
I've never seen a Finnish national team go down mainly because of penalties, but at this rate that's exactly what's happening in this tournament. Russia leads with two powerplay goals after the first period, with six minors for Finland and five for Russia. I hope the coach yells his guts out at either the players or the referee, whichever must take the blame.

At least the Lionettes have a two-man PP to start the second period with. Time to capitalize.

Pekka Lampinen

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki
Visit site
The two-man PP was brought to an end by a *drum roll* penalty, but five minutes later another PP proved fruitful. Korpikoski is now tied with Tukonen and Nokelainen at five points, but the trio was apparently broken for this game with Tuomainen replacing Tukonen, who went ahead to form a skill-overload line with Jokila and Alikoski.

Another penalty, this time for Russia. Keep up the chase! Russia keeps kicking other teams' posteriors at this level so often that I'd really hate to have them win now that the teams are at least fairly equal.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Unbelievably tight group.
Looks like Finland is losing then, could be a costly defeat.. although a win against Czech Republic tomorrow could be enough. Guess it depends a bit on the Slovakia - Russia game also.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Korpikoski is really having a good showing, he was mentioned (and talked very highly of) in Redline a month or two ago. Maybe he could be a good pickup in the second round?

Pekka Lampinen

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki
Visit site
Congrats to Khudobin, I've never heard of a goalie scoring in an international tournament before. Finland's last chance is to learn primadonna hockey in one night to avoid penalties. A victory will take them to quarterfinals, and a tie will be enough if Russia beats Slovakia.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
If I understand it correctly, team Slovakia must today against Russia
1) win or
2) get a tie

to make the playoffs. It will definitely not be an easy task for them.

Pekka Lampinen

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki
Visit site
First the game tortured me for ages with the site giving no indication of how much time was left, and just as I thought they were getting away with it, BLAM. In the very last minute.

If Slovakia takes the cake by beating Russia and eliminates Finland, hey, that's a defeat, but if they *dare* to play a tie (Russia gets their top spot and Slovakia makes the quarterfinals), heads will roll.

I still have more than an hour to convert my shrine to Tuukka the Savior to that to Khudobin.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
game over.
Russia, Czech Republic and Slovakia to the medal round, while Finland will play Denmark and Belarus in the relegation play.

Pekka Lampinen

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki
Visit site
Laituri said:
If Slovakia takes the cake by beating Russia and eliminates Finland, hey, that's a defeat, but if they *dare* to play a tie (Russia gets their top spot and Slovakia makes the quarterfinals), heads will roll.

I guess I was asking for it.

Dr_Chimera*

So anyone know what the matchups will be?

US, RUS have the bye?

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
should be

Quarterfinals
Sweden vs. Czech Republic
Canada vs. Slovakia

Semifinal
USA vs. Canada/Slovakia
Russia vs. Sweden/Czech Republic

.. if I am not mistaken

Status