U18 WJC: Group A - Discuss games, players here

Status
Not open for further replies.

willie

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
Predatore said:
team USA defeated Canada today so they have a perfect 4-0-0 record.
Probably the strongest team in the tournament.

I'm not entirely sure I agree. It looks as if there is lots of parity in the tournament. Group B was clearly the stronger overall pool with Russia, Czech Rep., Slovakia and Finland all pretty much even. In Group A it seems like it was Canada and the U.S. and than a noticeable drop off to Sweden.

Now this a pretty weak Canadian team and, despite that fact, the Americans only won 2-1 and were heavily outshot 39-23. From what I gather, it is probably a team in Group B that is the strongest (Russia?) although Canada and the U.S. are probably right at about the same level. The quarters and semis should be very interesting with no real favourite.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
I stayed up all night to listen to the USA-Canada game and I gotta say it was worth it. I only wish I could have seen it live. In fact, it probably would have saved me some stress as trying to follow such an up and down game online like that made me want to tear my hair out (for those of you who didn't listen, the last few minutes of the game were wide open with tones of chances for each team).

As for the strength of the US team, I'm not totally sold yet. I do think that they might match up better against some of the other European teams because the small US forwards can play them more physical (the Canadian team was just too big). I hope they don't have to face the Canucks again.

Phil Kessel is pretty quietly having a great tournament. He's not eligible for the draft until 2006 and he's leading the tournament in scoring. I'm surprised people haven't brought his name up too much on the boards given the hype some other players his age have recieved. His goal today was actually his 50th of the season (the previous high for the NTDP was 43 set by Adam Hall in the programs first year) and his 17th in only 20 or so games with the U18 team.

Fredrik

Apr 22, 2002
Stockholm, Sweden
Visit site
cagney said:
Phil Kessel is pretty quietly having a great tournament. He's not eligible for the draft until 2006 and he's leading the tournament in scoring. I'm surprised people haven't brought his name up too much on the boards given the hype some other players his age have recieved. His goal today was actually his 50th of the season (the previous high for the NTDP was 43 set by Adam Hall in the programs first year) and his 17th in only 20 or so games with the U18 team.

I think it's because where he plays. If he'd been a CHL player he would surely be more talked about.

I remember when Antropov was drafted. Fans didn't know who he was and there were widespread doubts about him. However, the scouts seemed to know. This should be true for Kessel as well.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
cagney said:
I stayed up all night to listen to the USA-Canada game and I gotta say it was worth it. I only wish I could have seen it live. In fact, it probably would have saved me some stress as trying to follow such an up and down game online like that made me want to tear my hair out (for those of you who didn't listen, the last few minutes of the game were wide open with tones of chances for each team).

As for the strength of the US team, I'm not totally sold yet. I do think that they might match up better against some of the other European teams because the small US forwards can play them more physical (the Canadian team was just too big). I hope they don't have to face the Canucks again.

Good insights. I like the U.S. chances for gold despite the nailbiter against Canada. They should beat their next opponent, giving them an opportunity to win it all in the gold medal game. If that happens the U.S. will have won the under 20 and under 18 WJC's, quite an accomplishment. Great performance in the Canada game by Cory Schnieder who is greatly enhancing his draft position.

dynodan

Apr 16, 2004
cagney said:

Bryan Lerg is also someone not to be overlooked. He also doesn't get a lot of chat, but is quite dangerous around the net and is a key play maker and leader for the team. He is one point behind Kessel in the tournament and scored a game winning short handed goal earlier in the tournement. He also led the USA18 and under team all year long in points.

Funkymoses

dynodan said:
Bryan Lerg is also someone not to be overlooked. He also doesn't get a lot of chat, but is quite dangerous around the net and is a key play maker and leader for the team. He is one point behind Kessel in the tournament and scored a game winning short handed goal earlier in the tournement. He also led the USA18 and under team all year long in points.

that probably has something to do with his size. 5'9". Like it or not that seems to be the first thing people look at.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
mole said:
You can see his stats here:
http://hockeymania.dk/andet.asp?hm_id=2347

He's a product of Rødovre, traditionally a strong talent-producing team, but he's been the only top youngster this year. He's eligible for this draft. He's also contracted to the team for another 3 seasons.
He played last season for them, but didn't get much icetime (understandable, at 16), and also played some with Malmö IF's J18 and J20 junior teams, but chose to return to Denmark. This season he has really broken out at age 17, scoring 13 goals in 35 games, and adding 7 assists. This puts him at 5th for players 22 or under in points in the league, and 2nd in goals.
Rødovre were a very poor team though, finishing last in the league and missing the playoffs.

At the J18 WC's, he's been on a line with Peter Regin and Morten Madsen, and those three, three of the biggest talents on the danish team, have combined for all of Denmark's 6 goals.

There's a small chance of him appearing at the senior WC's later this month, too - the roster has a spot open for a junior player, but Peter Regin could also steal it.

edit: He was ranked on the CSB Euro midterm at 98, second-highest of the 5 danes (Regin above him at 92).

Thanks Guys. :jump:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad