U18 WJC: Group A - Discuss games, players here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Tournament page: http://www.iihf.com/hydra/tournaments/output/W18/
Quick-link to the liveticker: http://195.162.151.17/hydra.iihf.com/Web_Output/P_Web_Tournament_Bottombd8b.html

Other resources:
http://www.hockeycanada.ca/
http://www.usahockey.com/
http://www.hockeynews.se/ (in Swedish)

GROUP A
Belarus
Canada
Denmark
Sweden
USA

Results
08 April: Denmark vs. USA 2-5
08 April: Sweden vs. Canada 0-5
09 April: Belarus vs. Denmark 1-4
10 April: USA vs. Sweden 6-2
10 April: Canada vs. Belarus 7-2
11 April: Denmark vs. Canada 1-2
12 April: Sweden vs. Denmark 2-1
12 April: USA vs. Belarus 9-0
13 April: Canada vs. USA 1-2
13 April: Belarus vs. Sweden 0-4

Current Standings
1. USA, 8p
2. Canada, 6p
3. Sweden, 4p
3. Denmark, 2p
5. Belarus, 0p

Basic rules
- The top 3 teams make the playoffs
- The team that finishes first advance directly to the semifinal

Last edited:

fan75

Mar 22, 2002
Montreal
Denmark has the big win over the host nation today. They're looking good to avoid relegation.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
yes, I'm definitely cheering for the danes! I like their team quite a bit and several of their players are quite successful in the Swedish junior league. I'd expect more of their top prospects to move to Sweden next season.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Predatore said:
yes, I'm definitely cheering for the danes! I like their team quite a bit and several of their players are quite successful in the Swedish junior league. I'd expect more of their top prospects to move to Sweden next season.

Do you know anything about Jannik Hansen? Never heard of him till I saw he's leading in scoring so far. :help:

mole

May 7, 2002
Top line, baby
Visit site
fan75 said:
Denmark has the big win over the host nation today. They're looking good to avoid relegation.
:bow:

Excellent result. Now games with Canada (tomorrow) and Sweden (monday) coming up.. I'm expecting tight losses, but you never know ;)

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
montreal said:
Do you know anything about Jannik Hansen? Never heard of him till I saw he's leading in scoring so far. :help:

Never seen him play, but I know he is a regular in the Danish top league playing against men. He scored 12 goals and 7 assists in 35 games which is very respectable for a player of his young age.
Played a few games for MIF Redhawks (Swedish team) in the junior league last season and did rather well.

mole

May 7, 2002
Top line, baby
Visit site
montreal said:

You can see his stats here:
http://hockeymania.dk/andet.asp?hm_id=2347

He's a product of Rødovre, traditionally a strong talent-producing team, but he's been the only top youngster this year. He's eligible for this draft. He's also contracted to the team for another 3 seasons.
He played last season for them, but didn't get much icetime (understandable, at 16), and also played some with Malmö IF's J18 and J20 junior teams, but chose to return to Denmark. This season he has really broken out at age 17, scoring 13 goals in 35 games, and adding 7 assists. This puts him at 5th for players 22 or under in points in the league, and 2nd in goals.
Rødovre were a very poor team though, finishing last in the league and missing the playoffs.

At the J18 WC's, he's been on a line with Peter Regin and Morten Madsen, and those three, three of the biggest talents on the danish team, have combined for all of Denmark's 6 goals.

There's a small chance of him appearing at the senior WC's later this month, too - the roster has a spot open for a junior player, but Peter Regin could also steal it.

edit: He was ranked on the CSB Euro midterm at 98, second-highest of the 5 danes (Regin above him at 92).

Last edited:

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
mole said:
He wasn't ranked on the CSB Euro midterm, although 5 other danes (including Regin) were.

Hansen was ranked, but Madsen wasn't. I was under the impression that Madsen was 2005-eligible, but he's older than I thought. Anyway, what do you think the chances are of those 3 being drafted?

mole

May 7, 2002
Top line, baby
Visit site
Seachd said:
Hansen was ranked, but Madsen wasn't. I was under the impression that Madsen was 2005-eligible, but he's older than I thought. Anyway, what do you think the chances are of those 3 being drafted?

Right you are! I missed him. He was at 98.

And yes, Madsen is an 87'er (as are Truhno & Starkov).

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
mole, why didn't Truhno make the team? Had he not received his citizen papers before the roster was announced, or is simply the competition this tough?

mole

May 7, 2002
Top line, baby
Visit site
Predatore said:
mole, why didn't Truhno make the team? Had he not received his citizen papers before the roster was announced, or is simply the competition this tough?
I'm not actually sure, I am 99% sure he is a danish citizen, but there could be eligibility issues with IIHF rules and how long he has to be a citizen, that I am unaware of. Otherwise I don't see any reason why he couldn't make the team ahead of a Waagensøe or Olsen, or another of the less used forwards. He's big and plays physical, and has good offensive instincts (12+11 in the league this season, 3rd amongst U22's). He's not that disciplined, though, or dedicated to defense - so his 'lesser' team spirit could have worked against him.
But I'd guess it's a paperwork issue, honestly. We'll see next year ;)
I might send a mail to a DIU official to ask if there are any issues.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
:amazed: :amazed:
how about those Danes!? They almost grabbed one point today against team Canada. Canada won the game 2-1 but this clearly shows that they have a strong and quite talented team.

As a Swede I am starting to get scared as "we" are pretty much forced to defeat Denmark tomorrow to make the medal round.

mole

May 7, 2002
Top line, baby
Visit site
That's tight loss nr. 1 - I'm psyched for tomorrow! Comparing the results, one might be tempted to think Denmark has a small advantage... :amazed:
I still think the Swedes will take tomorrow's game, but Denmark has definitely had a good showing so far!

fan75

Mar 22, 2002
Montreal
rahan said:
that Reddox kid seems to be stepping up for Canada.. anyone has ever heard of him?
He was the Petes leading scorer this season (2nd in the OHL among rookies) and made an appearence at the OHL All-star game. He's often overlooked because of his size which is one reason why he was only ranked #175 among North American skaters by the CSB in the mid-term rankings.

Truhno

I'm really impressed by your knowledge of Danish junior hockey. However, I think I can solve your puzzle why Slava Truhno doesn't play for Denmark at the U18 WC. The reason is simple: he has still not received his Danish citizenship. It should be a matter of time though.

Also, the final Danish roster for senior world championship has been published. The final spot went to Kasper Degn (Herning). Kasper Degn's status has been in question because he was injured with a concussion in March, but he's now been cleared.

Kasper Degn is considered one of Denmark's biggest hockey talents alongside Peter Regin and Slava Truhno. As the only hockey players in Denmark, this trio receives financial support from Team Denmark.

Thus, unless any of the players on the senior team get injured in the runup to the World Championship, we should not expect any of the U18 players to make it to the senior world championship this year.

Btw, the Danish goaltender, Simon Nielsen is the younger brother of Franz Nielsen.

P.S. don't know if this is the right place, but Predatore, how about creating a Danish board. I can see Denmark is missing on the country list?

Last edited:

mole

May 7, 2002
Top line, baby
Visit site
DanCan said:
P.S. don't know if this is the right place, but Predatore, how about creating a Danish board. I can see Denmark is missing on the country list?
I've tried asking before, but they always say they don't think it'll get enough usage.

And thanks for clearing up Truhno's situation :)

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
DanCan,
I'm only a simple moderator so I can alone not set-up a Danish board, although I wouldn't mind seeing as there is a Norwegian one.

Try asking at the HF Service and feedback board. :)

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
team USA defeated Canada today so they have a perfect 4-0-0 record.
Probably the strongest team in the tournament.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Predatore said:
team USA defeated Canada today so they have a perfect 4-0-0 record.
Probably the strongest team in the tournament.

Looks like things were pretty chippy, as they usually are between the U.S. and Canada. Kessel and Schneider with good performances for the U.S.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
First generation Canuck here...I would like to be able to read up on Danmarks' hockey program on a designated Danmark board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->