U18 WJC Gold Medal GDT - USA vs. Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
FLYLine4LIFE said:
Never said he was...but he sure will be on the the best in the NHL someday.
I was just joking anyway.He's a great player,congratulations to USA.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
pei fan said:
Let's not get carried away. He ain't no Sidney Crosby.

No one said he is. It's nice to have an elite forward prospect for a change though (with all due respect to guys like O'Sullivan, Parise, and Schremp).

CH Wizard

Rabid Ranger said:
No one said he is. It's nice to have an elite forward prospect for a change though (with all due respect to guys like O'Sullivan, Parise, and Schremp).

Rabid, I'm maybe crazy but I'd have put Kessel on the Usa wc's roster.I think, Parise and Brown have been invited but I'd have had give Kessel a try to see what he could do out there.

I've really been impressed by the us defence.Jack Johnson gave some really big bodycheks and somehow he neutralized O'Marra , Setoguchi and etc... that's just amazing.They deserve the gold medal. :clap:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
The Great One said:
Rabid, I'm maybe crazy but I'd have put Kessel on the Usa wc's roster.I think, Parise and Brown have been invited but I'd have had give Kessel a try to see what he could do out there.

I've really been impressed by the us defence.Jack Johnson gave some really big bodycheks and somehow he neutralized O'Marra , Setoguchi and etc... that's just amazing.They deserve the gold medal. :clap:

Kessel's a great player, but he has no business playing in the men's World Championships. He'd get killed out there.

time

Feb 26, 2005
Rabid Ranger said:
Kessel's a great player, but he has no business playing in the men's World Championships. He'd get killed out there.

Ditto. No disrespect to a future star, but he needs to adapt to a faster more physical game at his own pace. That deke where he hops around the defenceman is a minor league move. Can you imagine what Regher or Hannan would do if he tried that?

No worries, though. I'm sure he'll soon be just fine against the big Ds.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
time said:
Ditto. No disrespect to a future star, but he needs to adapt to a faster more physical game at his own pace. That deke where he hops around the defenceman is a minor league move. Can you imagine what Regher or Hannan would do if he tried that?

No worries, though. I'm sure he'll soon be just fine against the big Ds.

I know exactly what would happen: He would end up in the hospital. He'll be in the position to play in the World Championships....in about five or six years.

derbyfan

Nov 23, 2002
Visit site
pei fan said:
I don't think so.

Crosby played on the Under-18 World Cup team in August of 2003, he had JUST turned 16 as the tournament began. He was an '87 playing with all '86 players.
Looks like he had about 6 points in 5 games for a Canadian squad that finished 4th.
Go to www.canadianhockey.ca for full rosters & results.

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
Great game by the US today. I wasn't expecting Canada to win, but it was an entertaining game until the 4th goal.

US' defence amazed me. Frazee (whom I thought was "Crazy" until I saw his jersey at the end of the game) was good, but I've never seen such young kids block so many shots. The defence and Kessel were the difference early on IMO.

As for the ugly incident at the end of the game, it was brutal but not malicious. Total lack of respect and a boneheaded play, but not malicious. I hope Yellowhorn is fine.

Kessel playing for the World Championship team? Let's not get carried away... What set him apart this tournament (beside his amazing skill) was his lightning speed. You couldn't keep up with him. But he wouldn't have that advantage playing against grown men, and would be totally dominated physically. He's 17, after all.

Again, congrats to the US. This was my first time watching the U-18 tournament and I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Macman

May 15, 2004
I missed the entire third period and just found out the final score. It's disappointing but congrats to the U.S. Kessel is something else and Frazee came up big. I'm very proud of the way Canada played.

Quiet Robert

Feb 3, 2005
Congrats to the USA on a good win. Frazee played an incredible game and really was a key part in his team's win.

The US defence played really well. As they pointed out on TSN, they really got in the way of a lot of shots and did a good job of collapsing in front of goal. The forwards were fast as well, good a lauching the counterattack.

I thought Canada's D should have played more physical but USA's speed seemed to be a bit of a problem. They really played like a team and had more talent up front. Great team speed and some nice rushes. I think this frustrated Canada's d because they couldn't punish the forwards as they would have liked to. (When Parent threw Kessel to the ice on the offside for example)

You could tell, (and this is the fear I had earlier in the tournament) that Canada, aside from O'Marra, Latendresse & a few others, didn't have enough offensive firepower. They had a ton of grinders who work hard, but little offensive creativtiy. In a game with a goalie playing well like that, a strong forcheck and cycle game isn't enough. They could have used some more scorers, but again, give credit to the US defence and especially Frazee.

As for Kessel is the WC, people have said what needs to be said. Let's not get carried away. He's could go no.1 next year, but he'd get killed against men. Those moves are nice and flashy, but they're junior moves, they don't work often against pro's. I'm not taking anything away from him though, he's going to be an absolute star in the NHL.

Again, congrats on the gold and congrats to the Canada boys too, they played great throughout the whole tournament despite not having been together before the tourney. Both teams played a good game.

espo*

Congrats to team U.S.A.It hurts to lose but there is no shame losing to that good of a team.Talent usually takes teams to the top and they were simply the most talented team there hands down.From start to finish they showed they were the team to beat there and carried it right to the end.I'm proud of the guys for righting the ship to take silver at least.In Canada,silver in hockey is considered failure but it's never really failure when you have done all you can and tried your best and i think they did. The States had a team that 9 times out of ten would win and it's as simple as that.Nice crop of young players there and deserving of victory.

billabong55

Dec 8, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Congrats to the USA on their win. Their team was quite good, and Kessel just seemed to dominate out there with his speed. I was also impressed with Johnson, and of course the goalie.

Congrats to Canada as well on the Silver. Considering we were missing some very skilled players, I thought Canada did well finishing 2nd.

I hope Yellowhorn is ok. That was a nasty hit that was totally uncalled for. Put a sour note on a good game.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I don't think Canada should have anything to be ashamed of here. This a situation where I don't mind applauding Canada's depth, since this was a team that was without several high profile players (such as Crosby and Brule) and still won the silver, making the game against the U.S. alot closer than the score would indicate.

Here's where Kessel fits in the tournament scoring history FYI (it's been around since 1999 I think).

16 - Konstantin Zakharov (6 games 2003)
16 - Phil Kessel (6 games 2005)
15 - Andrei Kastsitsyn (6 games 2003)
15 - Ilya Kovalchuk (6 games 2001)
15 - Alexander Semin (8 games 2002)
15 - Patrick O'Sullivan (8 games 2002)

Goals
14 - Alexander Ovechkin (8 games 2002)
11 - Ilya Kovalchuk (6 games 2001)
9 - Alexander Ovechkin (6 games 2003)
9 - Konstantin Puskharev (6 games 2003)
9 - Phil Kessel (6 games 2005)
9 - Kevin Romy (8 games 2002)
9 - Brett Sterling (8 games 2002)
8 - Vadim Karaha (6 games 2003)
8 - Alexander Semin (8 games 2002)
8 - Sean Bergenheim (8 games 2002)

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Congratulations USA, very good team...

regardless of Kessel & Johnson being bonafide future stars and dominating with their play - they were the difference.

Frazee was good, but also lucky...Canada had many oppurtunities with him on his back flapping about like a guppy out of water; just didn't get the bounces.

As for Canada...what depth we have. Our C team played the champions almost even or better through out the game & defeated other countries' national teams.
Says alot for our programs now. Congratulations to anyone who is a coach in Canada..awesome work (that's a pat on the back for me as well).

Great hockey game all and all. Hockey fans all over the world win again! :yo:

ALF AmericanLionsFan

Dec 19, 2002
Cleveland, Ohio USA
Visit site
Doomsday Device said:
Here's where Kessel fits in the tournament scoring history FYI (it's been around since 1999 I think).

Goals
Interesting and impressive. Thanks

VernonForrest

Feb 20, 2003
San Diego
John Agar said:
regardless of Kessel & Johnson being bonafide future stars and dominating with their play - they were the difference.

Frazee was good, but also lucky...Canada had many oppurtunities with him on his back flapping about like a guppy out of water; just didn't get the bounces.

As for Canada...what depth we have. Our C team played the champions almost even or better through out the game & defeated other countries' national teams.
Says alot for our programs now. Congratulations to anyone who is a coach in Canada..awesome work (that's a pat on the back for me as well).

Great hockey game all and all. Hockey fans all over the world win again! :yo:

Calling team Canada a C team is misleading, of the top 10 eligible Canadian forwards ranked by the CSB, 6 were on this team. Of the top 10 eligible defensemen by the CSB, 4 were on it, including the top 3.

Sure Crosby and Brule would have helped but this is no C Team, and this isnt the best team the US Could have iced. Bobby Ryan, Matt Niskanen and Brian Lee would have helped a great deal.

Last edited:

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
VernonForrest said:
Calling team Canada a C team is misleading, of the top 10 eligible Canadian forwards ranked by the CSB, 6 were on this team. Of the top 10 eligible defensemen by the CSB, 4 were on it, including the top 3.

Sure Crosby and Brule would have helped but this is no C Team, and this isnt the best team the US Could have iced. Bobby Ryan, Matt Niskanen and Brian Lee would have helped a great deal.

agreed on all counts, but i wasn't going to comment. even before the game, there were statements being made by some(but not all, most canadian fans have been classy about the loss) that if canada lost, it would only be because it wasn't the best team they could field.

both teams were missing guys that could have helped. let's leave it at that.

alecfromtherock

Feb 2, 2004
Doomsday Device said:

Goals

Tied for second is pretty impressive and he is only 2 points under AO.

Crosby and Kessel are different players as TSN pointed out, Crosby is more physical.

Kessel is a fast skater with skill, something the NHL desperately needs.

Kessel showed what can happen with the centre line taken away, more quality scoring chances and opening up the game.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
nomorekids said:
agreed on all counts, but i wasn't going to comment. even before the game, there were statements being made by some(but not all, most canadian fans have been classy about the loss) that if canada lost, it would only be because it wasn't the best team they could field.

both teams were missing guys that could have helped. let's leave it at that.

Yes, both teams were missing guys that could have helped, but only one of the teams was missing the *potential* top two picks in the draft.

Let's not cloud reality. This USA dominated the tournament. It was a great team led by a very good talent, and there is no team in the tourney better than them.

But that also doesn't mean this same age group will be as dominant when they meet again at the WJC.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Matt MacInnis said:
Yes, both teams were missing guys that could have helped, but only one of the teams was missing the *potential* top two picks in the draft.

Let's not cloud reality. This USA dominated the tournament. It was a great team led by a very good talent, and there is no team in the tourney better than them.

But that also doesn't mean this same age group will be as dominant when they meet again at the WJC.

Well, again..to be fair...granted, Canada was missing Crosby....

But Canada missing Brule is about the same as the US missing Bobby Ryan. Would any of this have made a difference? Who knows. That's the nature of the CHL playoffs.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Matt MacInnis said:

Agreed. According the the latet ISS rankings, Canada was missing four of the top 9 draft eligable players in the world - Crosby, Brule, Staal, Bouret.

That's pretty significant. Not significant enough for me to say 'Canada would have won easily with those players' but certainly significant enough to realize it would have been a very different game.

Congrats to the US team though, they were above everyone else in this tournament and what else can be said about Kessel - he's a star.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->