Great Britain: U18 WJC (D2A) discussion

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Duggan the only goal scorer in the 2nd, finishing off a nice setup from Hook.

Attwell starting to come alive.

Johnsons shoulder injury shows exactly why you should take 13 forwards > 8 defense lol

Antonov-Duggan-Hook is well above everything right now though.

loser

Sep 23, 2013
GB looking good to me,watching first time.Small team yeah but good structure,skating and solid in special teams.After our game against Lithuania this looks like veteran hockey.Netherlands are not bad as well.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
GB back to their ways... Hook gets a 2 minute hook + 10 minute for mouthing off. Stead rips it over the glass.

5 on 3 with 11 minutes left in the game, 3-2 score. Ergh

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
When I looked through the rosters at the beginning of championship Hedley looked like the strength of this team - big, plays in men's league, decent stats. But in reality, he is costing his team games. This team can score, can't defend, but in the division this tight with few timely saves they would still be in contention.

Overall, I would say division is already Lithuania's to lose at this point.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
When I looked through the rosters at the beginning of championship Hedley looked like the strength of this team - big, plays in men's league, decent stats. But in reality, he is costing his team games. This team can score, can't defend, but in the division this tight with few timely saves they would still be in contention.

Overall, I would say division is already Lithuania's to lose at this point.

I have always highly rated Hedley and he has been solid in the MK games I've seen him in this season. I have no idea what's wrong, I think he might just be having trouble adjusting to this level of play.

I would give Bell the next game, he plays at a lower level than Hedley but single handedly stops the opposition from racking up a cricket score and gets hung out to dry by his team every game, maybe that's what GB need from a goalie at this level.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
As underwhelming as Hedley has been, the defense has been just so poor.

The only one that is even semi-noticeable is Stead and most of the time it's for the wrong reason.

Probably a result of the junior leagues in GB I suppose. Most of them are use to being the best players on the ice and when they get here, they're a little overwhelmed. You would think their previous experience on travel teams would have them somewhat prepared for it though.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
As underwhelming as Hedley has been, the defense has been just so poor.

The only one that is even semi-noticeable is Stead and most of the time it's for the wrong reason.

Probably a result of the junior leagues in GB I suppose. Most of them are use to being the best players on the ice and when they get here, they're a little overwhelmed. You would think their previous experience on travel teams would have them somewhat prepared for it though.

I don't really see how that could be an excuse though, nearly all of them play most of their games in an adult league, where they aren't the best players on the ice

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
I don't really see how that could be an excuse though, nearly all of them play most of their games in an adult league, where they aren't the best players on the ice

I don't want to make excuses for them but how many actually play minutes in adult leagues?

Their fundamental skills are lacking anyway. They're so soft on the puck and can't handle it worth a damn. That's something Stead has, he's just not smart enough with it yet.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Grubb switched up the lines to start the game. He was going with Hook-Attwell-Betteridge as the first and Antonov-Duggan-Forbes as the second. He decided to switch it back in the middle of the game and that was when GB started to fall well behind lol

I wonder what he'll go with for the next game.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
I don't want to make excuses for them but how many actually play minutes in adult leagues?

Their fundamental skills are lacking anyway. They're so soft on the puck and can't handle it worth a damn. That's something Stead has, he's just not smart enough with it yet.

McGiffin was logging huge minutes for Slough, after their meltdown they played with 4 D for most of the season. Hobbis and Buglass get lots of minutes for their teams in NIHL south 1. And of course Stead played a big role for the Bracknell Hornets for a year and a half before stepping up to the Bees where he did actually get regular shifts in the 2 games I saw in the new year.

I don't know about the others, I haven't seen them

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
McGiffin was logging huge minutes for Slough, after their meltdown they played with 4 D for most of the season. Hobbis and Buglass get lots of minutes for their teams in NIHL south 1. And of course Stead played a big role for the Bracknell Hornets for a year and a half before stepping up to the Bees where he did actually get regular shifts in the 2 games I saw in the new year.

I don't know about the others, I haven't seen them

Maybe they're over confident because they play against men and figured playing kids would be easy then ;)

Either way, I haven't seen U18 or U20 D-man since Stevie Lee that I thought had GB Senior team potential lol

A guy I've been very impressed with is Alex Forbes. I got to see him a few times with Ontario Hockey Academy this year so I'm not totally surprised but he's been really solid. He's not the most talented guy on the ice but he's one of the hardest working players, much like little Lee Bonner.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
Maybe they're over confident because they play against men and figured playing kids would be easy then ;)

Either way, I haven't seen U18 or U20 D-man since Stevie Lee that I thought had GB Senior team potential lol

A guy I've been very impressed with is Alex Forbes. I got to see him a few times with Ontario Hockey Academy this year so I'm not totally surprised but he's been really solid. He's not the most talented guy on the ice but he's one of the hardest working players, much like little Lee Bonner.

Lord only knows what's wrong with them.

The U18's can never seem to get it done at this level, despite always playing nations below GB in the senior rankings

Grizzly65x

Sep 12, 2010
We already knew Lewis Hook was the GB captain but the assistants are Ollie Betteridge ('96) and Sam Duggan (98)

Also, Adam Jones is not on the final list. #Owen Griffiths will take his spot (plays forward though)

Despite playing for GB U20s in December Adam Jones was deemed ineligible for the tournament.

The reason for his ineligibility is unclear, as is whether the decision was made by the IIHF or Ice Hockey UK.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Even though promotion was expected and is now very unlikely, if these young guys keep showing promise, I'll be entertained.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Despite playing for GB U20s in December Adam Jones was deemed ineligible for the tournament.

The reason for his ineligibility is unclear, as is whether the decision was made by the IIHF or Ice Hockey UK.

For reals? That's odd... I wonder if it'll be clarified at any point during the tournament.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad