U18: U18 WJC 2019 Sweden roster talk

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Hearing attitude/behaviour problems with the national team regarding Gunler, much like Albin Eriksson last year. Some maturing might be needed there. Pushing the ref in the U20 league/suspension etc.. kid got a temper. I have a feeling coach "Bulan" will sort that out next season.

That's probably it.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Gunler is, understandably, pissed
https://pren.kuriren.nu/artikel?red...https://www.kuriren.nu/inc/eprencallback.aspx (paywall), but basically quoted

"I will show him (coach Magnus Hävelid) he has done a fu**ing misstake". Not really sure quotes like that helps his case. He has some great skills though, hope he comes back strong next year and that this doesn't affect his chances of making the U20 WJC team (like it did for Albin Eriksson)

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
Swedish national team coaches keep making these stupid roster decisions "it's about roles". It's a junior tournament, stop trying to build balanced rosters which in itself is more myth than anything else, get the most skilled players and build your team and style around that. Being skilled is more than just dangles, so it doesn't mean just picking offense, but in no way or form does even half that forward group add more than Gunler. I mean come on.

If it's about some sort of attitude issue it's still stupid How do you change someones attitude if he's not even on your team?

Reactions: ulvvf

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
Hearing attitude/behaviour problems with the national team regarding Gunler, much like Albin Eriksson last year. Some maturing might be needed there. Pushing the ref in the U20 league/suspension etc.. kid got a temper. I have a feeling coach "Bulan" will sort that out next season.
Since when is having a temper bad? Ask peter forsberg.

Sweden lost yet another gold. f***ing stupid.

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
Swedish national team coaches keep making these stupid roster decisions "it's about roles". It's a junior tournament, stop trying to build balanced rosters which in itself is more myth than anything else, get the most skilled players and build your team and style around that. Being skilled is more than just dangles, so it doesn't mean just picking offense, but in no way or form does even half that forward group add more than Gunler. I mean come on.

If it's about some sort of attitude issue it's still stupid How do you change someones attitude if he's not even on your team?
I am tired of this roles bs. They have done the same thing in u20 and it has never worked. The best players should play.

Reactions: ulvvf

Svanstrom

Oct 26, 2013
Lund, Sweden

Especially true for WJC U18. It's not like we will see a Swedish team completely shut down all other teams offense. If it's an attitude problem it's also on the coaches, it's probably their most important role to have the players working together in unity, accept their roles and the system that is put in place. Anything else is just a fail by the team staff in my oppinion. I don't think there's a coincidence that Roger Rönnberg is the only coach that has managed to win anything at junior level, what I just mentioned is after all Roger's biggest strenght as a leader. Year after year with fails and lost finals is no coincidence.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
So with Gunler out, I guess this is how I'd want the team:

Raymond - Costmar - Holtz
Nybeck - Henriksson - Holmström
M.Wahlgren - Bjerselius - Grewe
Lawner/Järvelin - Sundsvik - Andersson

Broberg - Söderström
Björnfot - Johansson
Hedström - Brännstam/Lyckåsen

But I'd bet he (imo wrongly) puts Henriksson on first, Grewe on second over Holmström, and Björnfot over Broberg. I'd be open to splitting up Raymond, & Holtz if the line looks like it did for the most part last tournament and run:

Raymond - Henriksson - Holmström
Nybeck - Costmar - Holtz

As 1A/1B lines.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
So with Gunler out, I guess this is how I'd want the team:

Raymond - Costmar - Holtz
Nybeck - Henriksson - Holmström
M.Wahlgren - Bjerselius - Grewe
Lawner/Järvelin - Sundsvik - Andersson

Broberg - Söderström
Björnfot - Johansson
Hedström - Brännstam/Lyckåsen

But I'd bet he (imo wrongly) puts Henriksson on first, Grewe on second over Holmström, and Björnfot over Broberg. I'd be open to splitting up Raymond, & Holtz if the line looks like it did for the most part last tournament and run:

Raymond - Henriksson - Holmström
Nybeck - Costmar - Holtz

As 1A/1B lines.

I agree with Costmar between Raymond & Holtz. Henriksson is a great north-south skater with fine hands but he doesn't distribute the puck well enough at the international level.

I'm also curious to see how Holmström looks, he hasn't really impressed me during the few games he's played this year. Looked pretty decent at the J18 playoffs against a very strong Frölunda though.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Raymond got his hand slashed after the whistle in today's J20 semifinal game. Didn't play in the 2nd period, 3rd about to start with Frölunda down. Not a game where he would be taken out for precautionary reasons...

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
Raymond got his hand slashed after the whistle in today's J20 semifinal game. Didn't play in the 2nd period, 3rd about to start with Frölunda down. Not a game where he would be taken out for precautionary reasons...
Still 2 weeks left though

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
The U-18 coach is taking the tradition of making baffling roster decisions seriously, I see. Leaving out perhaps the best player because of "attitude problems" is ridiculous. It's winning games that counts at elite level. It would be like leaving out Zlatan from the national football team at his peak, because he's not enough mellanmjölk.
Atleast we get gunler if there is a forward injury
Luckily, there almost always are injuries, which is also a Swedish tradition before big tournaments. Hopefully Gunler will make the team, be extra pissed off and produce like crazy.

Reactions: king89

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Lineups against Finland:

Holtz - Henriksson - Raymond
Nybeck - Costmar - Holmström
Andersson - Bjerselius - Grewe
Lawner - Sundsvik - M.Wahlgren

Brännstam - Björnfot
Sjölund - Lyckåsen
Johansson - Söderström