GDT: U18s - CAN/USA @ 7:30AM, RUS/SWE @ 11:30 AM

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Lol what? Analysts on Twitter said he had a great game..

Admittedly I didn't watch the whole 60 minutes but I saw probably 30-40 minutes of the game and he was not particularly impressive. I think it was also pretty telling that despite Russia trailing for most of the game Podkolzin didn't get much ice time. You'd think if he was seen as the big offensive weapon of the russians that the coach would put his line out there a lot more often than he did. And from what I did see in those 30-40 minutes was that Podkolzin was definitely not the best russian player on the ice so it absolutely seemed warranted.

So I don't really know what those analysts on twitter saw. Maybe they saw a flashy sequence like this below that was very noticeable, but something I didn't really like seeing even if he succeeded this time.

You do that in the NHL and turn the puck over (which he very nearly did) and your coach will bench you.

EDIT: Lol, I didn't even realize but in the Holmström gif I posted it is Podkolzin who has the turnover with a blind backhand pass from the boards and into the middle of the ice in his own zone that Holmström capitalizes on. "Had a great game" :laugh:

Last edited:

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
So far every time Russia plays I see a bunch of comments about how Podkolzin was the best player on the ice, blah blah blah, but man the US and Canadian kids sure have a lot of highlights showing that. Why isn't he threatening Kucherov or Ovechkin like numbers if he's simply that dominant?

I get the US has a rather stacked team and it's difficult to see who's zooming who but at least there is a sense of elite skill there.

All this talk and yet the actual scoring rates aren't there. I am certainly no scout but I don't get it. Hard pass. I see another Magnus Pajaarvi-Svensson potential.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Wow, US draw a tough matchup in the quarters despite going undefeated. Tommorrow:

7:30 AM: USA vs FIN, RUS vs BLR
11:30 AM: CAN vs LAT, SWE vs CZE

I'll provide with updates as usual. PM me if you want a stream!

All U18 prospects in our range will play tomorrow. Keep an eye out!

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Wow, US draw a tough matchup in the quarters despite going undefeated. Tommorrow:

7:30 AM: USA vs FIN, RUS vs BLR
11:30 AM: CAN vs LAT, SWE vs CZE

I'll provide with updates as usual. PM me if you want a stream!

All U18 prospects in our range will play tomorrow. Keep an eye out!
Are all the games televised on TSN?

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Zegras is partly playing the pest role on the Hughes line. He isn't afraid to go in front of the net and give a guy a full on cross-check, and I saw him give a few jabs behind the net.

I like.

Reactions: B33K33PING

Llamamoto

Sep 5, 2018
US scores. Hughes, great pass from Zegras. He's so strong on his skates. Knocked a guy over in the process.

Reactions: McCupofOil

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Man, Zegras is really good. I just wish that he'd shoot a little more but that playmaking is on point and pretty strong on his skates as well, he fended off a Finnish defender like an annoying fly.

Reactions: Llamamoto

Llamamoto

Sep 5, 2018
Man, Zegras is really good. I just wish that he'd shoot a little more but that playmaking is on point and pretty strong on his skates as well, he fended off a Finnish defender like an annoying fly.

Reminded me of when Drai knocked over Sam Girard in OT the one time.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
It's hard to distinguish Hughes from Zegras at times, it's like the Sedins out there. (Not saying that Zegras is as good obviously)

Reactions: Llamamoto

Llamamoto

Sep 5, 2018
Some really nice plays by Hughes, Zegras, Caufield, and Turcotte there.

Also, Turcotte is insane on the dot and Knight is probably the best goalie I've ever seen at playing the puck. Saves a ton of time on the pp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad