U17 Team Canada Rosters

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
So the U17 Team Canada Rosters have been released. 26 of the 66 players are from the OHL. The article is here:

The players taken from the OHL more or less followed the OHL draft order. For example, the first 7 defensemen drafted and signed to the OHL made team Canada, plus Matthew Virgilio who although drafted late would have been taken in the first round if not for commitment issues.

In the forwards, the only snub when looking down the draft order was Kaden Pitre (Flint). Not sure if that pick was considered a bit of a reach and they took him there because his brother was playing there already, or if it wasn't considered a reach was there was another reason for the snub?

For the goalies I found it very interesting that they took the 1st (Leenders) and 6th (Egorov) goalies drafted. Snubbed were Jacob Gibbons, Landon Miller, Andrew Gaulton, and Carter George. Looking at Egorov's early numbers out of the GOJHL, they look quite ordinary. Were there any commitment issues with him that caused him to fall in the draft, or was it just that he had an amazing camp for Team Canada and leapfrogged all the other goalies?

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
So the U17 Team Canada Rosters have been released. 26 of the 66 players are from the OHL. The article is here:

The players taken from the OHL more or less followed the OHL draft order. For example, the first 7 defensemen drafted and signed to the OHL made team Canada, plus Matthew Virgilio who although drafted late would have been taken in the first round if not for commitment issues.

In the forwards, the only snub when looking down the draft order was Kaden Pitre (Flint). Not sure if that pick was considered a bit of a reach and they took him there because his brother was playing there already, or if it wasn't considered a reach was there was another reason for the snub?

For the goalies I found it very interesting that they took the 1st (Leenders) and 6th (Egorov) goalies drafted. Snubbed were Jacob Gibbons, Landon Miller, Andrew Gaulton, and Carter George. Looking at Egorov's early numbers out of the GOJHL, they look quite ordinary. Were there any commitment issues with him that caused him to fall in the draft, or was it just that he had an amazing camp for Team Canada and leapfrogged all the other goalies?

Gaulton is injured and having knee surgery so isn’t available

Reactions: HockeyPops

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

it is interesting. i know central had leenders as a mid round pick, but hes also the only 16 year old in the ohl, so maybe thats why (could be justified as well). i think it probably comes down to camp, but egorov and george i was told were the top 2 last year with millier as per central scouting, who also helps pick this u17 team.

Reactions: HockeyPops

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
it is interesting. i know central had leenders as a mid round pick, but hes also the only 16 year old in the ohl, so maybe thats why (could be justified as well). i think it probably comes down to camp, but egorov and george i was told were the top 2 last year with millier as per central scouting, who also helps pick this u17 team.
I was a bit surprised that four goalies went before George, but it was considered a very good goalie draft. To each there own I suppose. FWIW, there were at least two others in addition the steelheads that had Leenders #1.

What do you consider a mid-round pick? I think round 4 is the end of the early picks

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I was a bit surprised that four goalies went before George, but it was considered a very good goalie draft. To each there own I suppose. FWIW, there were at least two others in addition the steelheads that had Leenders #1.

What do you consider a mid-round pick? I think round 4 is the end of the early picks
central scouting had him rated 6/7-10th round. doesnt mean thats what anyone else thought.

Reactions: dirty12

stickhandle

Jul 4, 2007

League in Ottawa no exposure in Toronto

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad