U17 All-Star Team - ???

DanStewart

Jun 5, 2003
Sarnia, Ontario
Okay, for those of us keeping an eye on the U17's in Winnipeg, I am wondering if I am the only one who is a bit perplexed about the announced all-star teams?

2011 WORLD UNDER-17 HOCKEY CHALLENGE ALL-STAR TEAM said:
Goal – Daniel Altshuller (Ontario)
Defence – Seth Jones (United States)
Defence – Derrick Pouliot (West)
Forward – Andreas Athanasiou (Ontario)
Forward – Nicolas Kerdiles (United States)
Forward – Hunter Shinkaruk (Pacific)

While I can't disagree with the Altshuller selection but how about the forwards and even to a lesser degree on defense?

What about dominant scoring performances of Henrik Samuelsson, Luca Ciampini, and even underage Nathan MacKinnon at the forward position?

All three selected forwards did make solid contributions but in my opinion should not be in the conversation for the all-stars.

On defense. How about the two Americans, Connor Carrick and Jacob Trouba or the western Canadian boy Matt Dumba?

While Jones is an impressive specimen, and likely a top five pick in 2013, there are others even on his own team that deserved this spot over him based on the preliminary round play.

Maybe you agree with me and maybe you don’t.

I would like to hear what you think and why.

tiz

Oct 27, 2006
Nova Scotia
Sometimes they try and pick guys from different teams, but they still picked 2 USA players and missed the best one in Henrik Samuelsson.

Nathan MacKinnon has had a great tournament and scored two GW goals. I can't understand why he's not there.

I also have heard really good things about Griffin Reinhart this tournament, and he's not there.

Only Daniel Altshuller and Seth Jones from that list have come up in discussions I've had with people during this tournament. I sometimes wish they just wouldn't have these type of lists since they are so flawed.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
Just curious were any of you at the games in Winnipeg or Portage this past week? Did you see any of the games on line somehow, I haven't been able to find any feeds. Please send links.

nags

Sep 27, 2006
Okay, for those of us keeping an eye on the U17's in Winnipeg, I am wondering if I am the only one who is a bit perplexed about the announced all-star teams?

While I can't disagree with the Altshuller selection but how about the forwards and even to a lesser degree on defense?

What about dominant scoring performances of Henrik Samuelsson, Luca Ciampini, and even underage Nathan MacKinnon at the forward position?

All three selected forwards did make solid contributions but in my opinion should not be in the conversation for the all-stars.

On defense. How about the two Americans, Connor Carrick and Jacob Trouba or the western Canadian boy Matt Dumba?

While Jones is an impressive specimen, and likely a top five pick in 2013, there are others even on his own team that deserved this spot over him based on the preliminary round play.

Maybe you agree with me and maybe you don’t.

I would like to hear what you think and why.

If I had to pick a team today, I would take Poulet over Dumba or Reinhart. Reinhart may eventually be the better NHLer, but Poulet has more skill and vision at this time. I believe the point of the all stars is who is the best player at this tournament, not who might eventually be the best player in the future.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
I agree with Seth Jones there I watched a few games of USA and he is a monster on the back end, I saw someone posted Trouba should have been there over Jones and I have to say I don't think so to that. Trouba has a better shot than Jones, but beside that Jones IMO is just as good and better in different areas, Jones is bigger, he was just as good passing the puck, he was stronger than Trouba in the tournament, he is just so poised in this tournament, guys run into him and he does not budge, he is a man child lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->