U17: 2014 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge — Nov. 2-8

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Glad to see the streams are free. If they charged for that North Sydney feed I think some people may have complained :sarcasm:

Barzal is injured.

Unsure on why Kylington isn't there.

Kylington staying in SHL. Can't blame him even though I was looking forward to seeing him at the U17s.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
I'm at the U17s here is my take on my 1st day:

i drove up today and caught the Russia vs USA game in Port Hawksbury then caught the game in North Sydney with Quebec vs Pacific

here are some guys who caught my eye:

Russia vs USA:

Noah Hanifin - This guy i can not say enough will be right up with McDavid and Eichel, great skater, great puck rushing, scored a great goal on the rush, excellent vision and passing all game, great smarts, this guy got it down at both ends of the ice and was dominant.

Colin White - Had some great scoring chances, scored a decent goal, always buzzing in the offensive end, very smart, moved well with and without the puck, strong, this guy is very smart, does all the things right and is just down right great on the ice.

Jeremy Bracco - Excellent skating, very good puck handling, was buzzing in the offensive zone, made a mockery of Russia skating around them twice lol.

Auston Matthews - This guy was my first time watching play and i was very very impressed, the guy is fast, strong, goes to the net, excellent puck handler at high speed, great puck protection, excellent shooter and dished the puck well, he is going to be a major major talent for 2016 NHL draft.

guys i did not get a good read on in the game Tkachuk, Greenway, Werenski

On Russia:

Alexey Platonov - played ok, only him and Sidorov impressed me on defense, Platonov was passing the puck well and playhing in his own zone very well.

Artem Ivanyuzhenkov - the 98 born on Russia he reminds me a bit of Alexander Svitov when he was that age, he is big, strong, physical, was following the play well, worked well on the boards, was going to the net, had good hands.

Ivan Kashtanov - IMO the best offensive player on Russia, he was skating well with the puck, had speed, excellent hands, was doing well creating offense, he was passing well and shooting well.

The other game here are my thoughts:

Quebec:

Jeremy Roy, made some nice hits, was passing well, skating with the puck well, making good decisions, he was Quebecs best on defense.

Nicolas Roy - Showed some great puck handling and excellent playmaking skills, very shifty for a big guy, better than when i saw him last.

Jason Bell - Skating very well with the puck, very smart, good passing

Julien Gauthier -showing his straight line skating but was very fast, very physical and aggressive, worked well on the boards, took a nice shot on goal, used his size and strength well.

Nicolas Meloche - Played a safe game, good outlet passing, smart knock aways.

I personally was disappointed with Anthony Beauvillier a bit, i found he was passing to guys who were covered, he had trouble getting his offense going.

Callum Booth - This guy imo stood on his head for Quebec, made some great saves in net.

Pacific:

Brad Morrisson - Showed off his hands very fast puck handler gifted with the puck, I found he needs to improve in his own zone but in the offensive zone i loved watching him, he holds onto the puck a bit too long but he is very exciting and gifted offensively.

Tyler Soy - very impressed with his ability to cut to the net with and without the puck, excellent hockey sense, very good skater, great hand eye, very good passing skills and shooting skills.

Janson Harkins - Strong, great on the boards, super smart player, goes to the net, uses his strength and smarts, good in own zone, excellent puck protection, good hands, made some good shots, made things happen....I can see the comparison to Jonathan Toews a bit.

Merkley - skating well with the puck, took some nice shots, I really liked his offensive ability, he was good on the fly.

Adam Musil - I liked his power on the boards and strength going to the net.

Noah Juulsen - This guy caught my eye with some nice plays, I look forward to seeing him some more.

Ty Ronning looked good in the offensive end, he is pretty small though, but was fast and good with the puck, made some nice rushes.

never got a good read on Reddekopp, Guhle, Estephan and Gawdin yet.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Where is it this year? Sounds like a lot of fun. Enjoy.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Callum Booth - This guy imo stood on his head for Quebec, made some great saves in net.
I had to double check, but it was Tremblay in net.
I thought maybe the commentators had it wrong during the game, but looking at a picture of the game, you can tell it was definitely Tremblay based on his pad colours.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
I had to double check, but it was Tremblay in net.
I thought maybe the commentators had it wrong during the game, but looking at a picture of the game, you can tell it was definitely Tremblay based on his pad colours.

it was Tremblay, even through the game i kept saying Booth to my friend, but it was Tremblay who was very great in the game.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
it was Tremblay, even through the game i kept saying Booth to my friend, but it was Tremblay who was very great in the game.

When they have no name on the back of the jersey, just 'Ontario', 'Quebec', etc. it's a simple mistake to make.

Apparently the U17 Site is still listing Kylington on Sweden & put stats in for him even though he's still in Sweden with his SHL team lol

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
I thought the revelation in that Quebec-Pacific game was M. Fortier? 3 points?? Seems like he came out of nowhere.

Will you be going back tmrw?

Picked by Halifax with their first pick (2nd round) in the Q draft. Played on a line today with Roy and Bell. Fortier is also a late 97 so is not eligible until 2016 which would give him 2 years in the Q before being drafted if he were to play next season.

I believe he was injured in camp this year but I'm not sure if that is a factor in why he isn't on the team this year.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
How about Sean Day for Ontario? I thought he'd have a lot of eyes on him at the U-17.

That skating... No need to say much more, if you know anything about Day you know his skating is unbelievable. Seeing it live is an absolute treat.

He's extremely patient with the puck. That can prove to be both good & bad because his effortless style gets him in trouble sometimes with the puck, kind of reminds me of Jake Gardiner with the effortless style & patience (obviously with waaaay more upside). He doesn't panic when rushed or when he makes a bad mistake, he just moves his feet. Definitely needs to battle more.

His puck moving in the offensive zone is solid but his outlet passes still need a little fine tuning. I don't recall him making many mistakes when his teammates found him at the point. He didn't shoot much but the combination of his skating & puck moving will make him a PP QB forever.

I noticed when opponents are coming in on him, he tends to back off way too much giving them all sorts of space. It didn't hurt him against Germany because... it's Germany. It was tough to get a read for his abilities defensively because of how easy the game was for Ontario so I want to see him against some stiffer competition for sure.

I can definitely see why he gets criticized, he leaves you wanting so much more but I still like what I saw. If he gets the right coach that can figure out what makes him tick, he's going to be scary good.

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011
That skating... No need to say much more, if you know anything about Day you know his skating is unbelievable. Seeing it live is an absolute treat.

He's extremely patient with the puck. That can prove to be both good & bad because his effortless style gets him in trouble sometimes with the puck, kind of reminds me of Jake Gardiner with the effortless style & patience (obviously with waaaay more upside). He doesn't panic when rushed or when he makes a bad mistake, he just moves his feet. Definitely needs to battle more.

His puck moving in the offensive zone is solid but his outlet passes still need a little fine tuning. I don't recall him making many mistakes when his teammates found him at the point. He didn't shoot much but the combination of his skating & puck moving will make him a PP QB forever.

I noticed when opponents are coming in on him, he tends to back off way too much giving them all sorts of space. It didn't hurt him against Germany because... it's Germany. It was tough to get a read for his abilities defensively because of how easy the game was for Ontario so I want to see him against some stiffer competition for sure.

I can definitely see why he gets criticized, he leaves you wanting so much more but I still like what I saw. If he gets the right coach that can figure out what makes him tick, he's going to be scary good.

I was at the game as well and I loved watching DAy.
What a beautiful skater.
He seems to want to suck you in and use his tremendous skating to pull away.
I think he tries to make difficult plays look easy and gets caught doing it. That may be a comment not understood.
Huge upside and I agree with Tilander comments that he leaves you wanting more.
I was impressed with Chyhrun. What great strength and strong on the stick and upper body.He is going to be pro stud.
Very difficult to tell over all defence because of German overall weakness .
Up front I really liked Konecny
Marner reminds me of Nathan Noel a lot .

I liked Crouse and Strome and McKenzie :the team that beats Ontario is going to have to be good.
Which from my friend who saw the USA destroy Russia, he claims are going
To win this challenge. Can't wait to see Hanifin.

Klown

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
Wow. A lot of sons of former NHL-players this time around: Jakob Chychrun, Adam Musil, Jackson Keane, Casey Fitzgerald, Matt Tkachuk, Ty Ronning, Nick Chyzowski...

Any more of them? Is Filip Dvorak, Martin Svoboda, Mikhail Byakin or Danila Kvartalnov related to the former NHL-players of the same name?

MyNameIsNobody*

Wanted to see Barzal and Sprong......too bad!

I think he is trying to get his Canadian citizenship - form what i hear he is the BEST 16 year old in the Q...awesome!!!!

Quebec has been producing excellent players the last few years, i think the trend will continue...i hope..im very happy...

How has Ontario looked? beside the 8 - 0 score....Are they stacked?

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011
I think he is trying to get his Canadian citizenship - form what i hear he is the BEST 16 year old in the Q...awesome!!!!

Quebec has been producing excellent players the last few years, i think the trend will continue...i hope..im very happy...

How has Ontario looked? beside the 8 - 0 score....Are they stacked?

They look very good to me.
Good size, good puck distribution, nice D that can think offence as well. Goaltenders look solid and very good rebound control.
If I was going to pick anything apart is that they could be penalty prone and in this tourney , the youth teams now practice the special teams and they could lose their composure.
I would like to see them more physical but not take stupid penalties. . If they start looking for the pretty goal and not shoot and drive the net, they could be in trouble.
I don't know Konecy is going to survive the wear and tear he puts himself thru , but what a winner.

hockeytimeAB

Dec 30, 2013

Thanks Adam. I would like to have heard how Barzal matched up against Day, too bad he's not there. Also, as an Albertan, I'll be interested to hear how Tyler Benson stacks up with these older boys.

hab 4ever

Mar 9, 2002
Montréal, Québec
Visit site
Wow. A lot of sons of former NHL-players this time around: Jakob Chychrun, Adam Musil, Jackson Keane, Casey Fitzgerald, Matt Tkachuk, Ty Ronning, Nick Chyzowski...

Any more of them? Is Filip Dvorak, Martin Svoboda, Mikhail Byakin or Danila Kvartalnov related to the former NHL-players of the same name?

He does not play a big role on team Quebec but Matthew Boucher is Philippe's son. Crazy thing is that Matthew is 5'7 1/2" while Philippe wpis 6'3". He is a December 1997 birthdate so maybe he has a late growth spurt lol.

Julien Gauthier is Denis Gauthier Jr's nephew. 6'3 225 (late 1997).

MyNameIsNobody*

He does not play a big role on team Quebec but Matthew Boucher is Philippe's son. Crazy thing is that Matthew is 5'7 1/2" while Philippe wpis 6'3". He is a December 1997 birthdate so maybe he has a late growth spurt lol.

Julien Gauthier is Denis Gauthier Jr's nephew. 6'3 225 (late 1997).

Is there another U17 thread? no updates here? whats going on

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad