U16, U17 - Where's Småland?

Stolpskott

Apr 7, 2013
Stockholm
What happened to Småland's representation in the national teams? In the latest tournament for Team U16 there's not a single player born or currently playing in Småland. In Team U17 there's only three Småland-born players and only two of them are still playing there (Ahl, Younan).
Lack of scouting? Are the players simply not good enough?

Sure, the district only has two "SuperElit teams" but they have a rich history of producing good players. Kalmar, Oskarshamn, Nässjö, Gislaved, Nybro, Värnamo, Eksjö, Västervik, Tingsryd, Vetlanda, Diö, Åseda, Dalen, Alvesta, Skillingaryd, Ljungby, Vimmerby, Tranås, Växjö - shouldn't any of these teams be able to produce at least one really good player for Team U16 or U17?

HV71 have Romfors, Dahlén, Collberg, Emil Öhrwall and Eddie Ludvigsson who should be up for consideration.
I have only seen two games with Växjö J18 but Jäderberg and especially Altberg look quite good.
Also Albin Storm and Philip Motéus (maybe Erik Sunqvist) looked very good in one of the games I watched, maybe goalie Alfred Carlsson as well. But on the other hand I believe that they played against Boro/Vetlanda.

Any opinions on these players? Any theories why Småland doesn't have more players in Team U16/U17?

Vikke

ViktorAllvin twitter
Feb 22, 2004
Västervik, Sweden
twitter.com
I can only speak for Vimmerby, and there's been a dip recently after our, relatively speaking, successfull 90-93's. It's on the rise again, with a bunch of players heading to the TV-pucken camps and stuff like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad