U15 Marscupen

Stolpskott

Apr 7, 2013
Stockholm
It's that time of the year again. Seems like TV-Pucken teams are starting to announce their preliminary rosters and some of them are even playing their first games, prior to TV-Pucken. Southern teams are apparently playing a tournament called Marscupen.
http://stats.swehockey.se/ScheduleAndResults/Schedule/3818

It seems like Göteborg, Småland, Skåne and Östergötland got some good players this year.

I watched a few games live and I think I've found a few players to look out for already.

Göteborg:
Lias Andersson (F) - Good speed and good hands. Son of former Frölunda legend Niklas Andersson. He has already signed for HV71 J18, 2014-15. He played 23 games and scored 4 goals for Kungälv in J18 Elit this season, pretty impressive for a U15 player. Scored the most points in Marscupen, 11 points in 6 games.

Philip Ekberg (D) - Plays a solid two-way game, very mature on the ice. Born 1999 and had 3 points in 4 games for Frölunda U16 this season. Played all 6 games for the team in U16 SM. Had 2 points in 5 games in Marscupen.

Småland:

Gustav Jäderberg (D) - Offensive defenseman. Jäderberg was the captain of Växjö U16 this season, although being one year younger than his teammates. Scored 18 points in 25 games. He had the most goals, assists and points by all U15 defenseman in U16 Elit South.
Big defenseman who played TV-Pucken last year for Småland 2 as an alternate captain (!) and will most certainly be a key piece on the powerplay this year. He has a lot of things to work on in the defensive zone, but extremely good offensively. 5 points in 9 games for Växjö J18. Probably a good leader, judging by earlier experience. Will be the captain of Småland 1 this season.

Eddie Ludvigsson (D) - Two-way defenseman. Plays very good defensively but can also join the rush. Very big for his age. 185 cm and 87 kg. 23 games, 7 points, for HV71 U16 this season. Will be a good asset on the penalty kill. Made the team last year (Småland 1). Has the potential to become a very good player.

Viktor Pålsson (F) - Pure goal scorer. 7 points in 8 games for Småland 2 last year. Averaged 2.5 points per game with Tingsryd U16 (U16 Div.1 Småland) this season, 40 points in 16 games! Also had 6 points in 9 games for Tingsryd J18, J18 Elit. Very skilled player.

Skåne:
I only watched one game with Skåne, but I noticed two solid players.

Hugo Klippfors (F) - Very good passer and good hockey sense. Alternate captain. Scored 7 points in 7 games for Rögle U16 this season. 1 goal and 5 assists in Marscupen.

Oliver Olsson (F) - Hard and accurate shot, good speed. Played 16 games for Malmö U16 this season. Scored 7 points in 6 games in Marscupen.

Östergötland:

Edgars Treijs (F) - You've probably already heard about him. Known for his ability to get pucks into the net. Great hands, he gets around opponents very easily. He might be a bit selfish sometimes, but the amount of points he contributes with makes up for it. Can play physical in both ends. Played for Östergötland last year, 9 points in 8 games. He ended up with 42 points in 20 games for Linköping U16 this season, finished second in goals scored and points in U16 Elit South. Might become the best goalscorer in TV-Pucken this year. Scored 8 goals in 5 games in Marscupen, most goals scored in the tournament.

Filip Fornåå Svensson (F) - Scored most points by all U14 players (born 1999) in Marscupen, 5 points in 5 games. 7 points in 7 games for Linköping U15 this season. 32 points in 15 games for Linköping U14. Didn't get too much ice time, but he takes the opportunity when he gets it. Very good with the puck.

Rasmus Häggebrink (G) - Born 1999. Third best SVS% in Marscupen and second best GAA. Rather small, but very agile. Very good for his age and he plays a solid positional game. Played all 60 minutes when Linköping U16 became the champions of U16 Elit South in the last, decisive, game of the season.

Personally, I think Östergötland and Småland will be very good this year. What do you think? Did I miss any good players?

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Always nice reading about new young talents. I've never watched Treijs play but heard a lot about him. Is he similar to William Nylander in terms of style or skill level?

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Well, a couple of interesting players that have played in TV-pucken(and thus already on the radar):
Adam Thilander: Defenseman, Västergötland. Has already played in TV-pucken twice, first time he played he turned 13 during the tournament! And also two full J18 seasons with Skövde already, albeit div.1 this season where he had 10p in 15 games.

Alexander Nylander Altelius: Forward, Stockholm. Obviously a skill player. Was a top U16 player in the greater Stockholm area as an underager, led his team(SDE) in scoring. 19 points in 23 games.

Jacob Moverare: Defenseman, Västerbotten. Big kid. Played 15 games in J18 Allsvenskan for Skellefteå this season.

Looking forward to see what these three can do this year.

BPilgrim

Dec 14, 2010
It's that time of the year again. Seems like TV-Pucken teams are starting to announce their preliminary rosters and some of them are even playing their first games, prior to TV-Pucken. Southern teams are apparently playing a tournament called Marscupen.
http://stats.swehockey.se/ScheduleAndResults/Schedule/3818

It seems like Göteborg, Småland, Skåne and Östergötland got some good players this year.

I watched a few games live and I think I've found a few players to look out for already.

Göteborg:
Lias Andersson (F) - Good speed and good hands. Son of former Frölunda legend Niklas Andersson. He has already signed for HV71 J18, 2014-15. He played 23 games and scored 4 goals for Kungälv in J18 Elit this season, pretty impressive for a U15 player. Scored the most points in Marscupen, 11 points in 6 games.

Philip Ekberg (D) - Plays a solid two-way game, very mature on the ice. Born 1999 and had 3 points in 4 games for Frölunda U16 this season. Played all 6 games for the team in U16 SM. Had 2 points in 5 games in Marscupen.

Småland:

Gustav Jäderberg (D) - Offensive defenseman. Jäderberg was the captain of Växjö U16 this season, although being one year younger than his teammates. Scored 18 points in 25 games. He had the most goals, assists and points by all U15 defenseman in U16 Elit South.
Big defenseman who played TV-Pucken last year for Småland 2 as an alternate captain (!) and will most certainly be a key piece on the powerplay this year. He has a lot of things to work on in the defensive zone, but extremely good offensively. 5 points in 9 games for Växjö J18. Probably a good leader, judging by earlier experience. Will be the captain of Småland 1 this season.

Eddie Ludvigsson (D) - Two-way defenseman. Plays very good defensively but can also join the rush. Very big for his age. 185 cm and 87 kg. 23 games, 7 points, for HV71 U16 this season. Will be a good asset on the penalty kill. Made the team last year (Småland 1). Has the potential to become a very good player.

Viktor Pålsson (F) - Pure goal scorer. 7 points in 8 games for Småland 2 last year. Averaged 2.5 points per game with Tingsryd U16 (U16 Div.1 Småland) this season, 40 points in 16 games! Also had 6 points in 9 games for Tingsryd J18, J18 Elit. Very skilled player.

Skåne:
I only watched one game with Skåne, but I noticed two solid players.

Hugo Klippfors (F) - Very good passer and good hockey sense. Alternate captain. Scored 7 points in 7 games for Rögle U16 this season. 1 goal and 5 assists in Marscupen.

Oliver Olsson (F) - Hard and accurate shot, good speed. Played 16 games for Malmö U16 this season. Scored 7 points in 6 games in Marscupen.

Östergötland:

Edgars Treijs (F) - You've probably already heard about him. Known for his ability to get pucks into the net. Great hands, he gets around opponents very easily. He might be a bit selfish sometimes, but the amount of points he contributes with makes up for it. Can play physical in both ends. Played for Östergötland last year, 9 points in 8 games. He ended up with 42 points in 20 games for Linköping U16 this season, finished second in goals scored and points in U16 Elit South. Might become the best goalscorer in TV-Pucken this year. Scored 8 goals in 5 games in Marscupen, most goals scored in the tournament.

Filip Fornåå Svensson (F) - Scored most points by all U14 players (born 1999) in Marscupen, 5 points in 5 games. 7 points in 7 games for Linköping U15 this season. 32 points in 15 games for Linköping U14. Didn't get too much ice time, but he takes the opportunity when he gets it. Very good with the puck.

Rasmus Häggebrink (G) - Born 1999. Third best SVS% in Marscupen and second best GAA. Rather small, but very agile. Very good for his age and he plays a solid positional game. Played all 60 minutes when Linköping U16 became the champions of U16 Elit South in the last, decisive, game of the season.

Personally, I think Östergötland and Småland will be very good this year. What do you think? Did I miss any good players?

I've mostly watched Team Östergötland but here's a few others to watch out for:

Småland
Johan Bok (D) - Good skater, calm, good passes and vision.

Göteborg
Jacob Nordqvist (D) - Also nice vision, smooth although rather small. Joined the offense quite often.

Östergötland
Joakim Wallin (D) - Big defenseman with great skating, he's calm with the puck and always tries to make a play. Likes to join rushes and had 2+4 in 5 games but should've had another assist.

Linus Björk (D) - A very smooth defenseman, good both offensively and defensively. Rarely makes mistakes. Played first pairing with LHC U16 all season.

Stolpskott

Apr 7, 2013
Stockholm
Oh, I have quite a different opinion about those players. I didn't really think that there was anything stand-out about them. I'd take Wallin over Björk though. To me, Björk was very shaky in the defensive zone. He has good skating, indeed, but he needs to work on his game in the defensive zone. I also felt like he was a bit selfish with the puck, he does have good puck control though.
Wallin seems to be a better team player, two-way defenseman.

Personally, I don't think any of Team Östergötland's players are close to making next years' Team Sweden U16. Except Treijs.

Stolpskott

Apr 7, 2013
Stockholm
I do, however, think that Småland have a few good players that might make the national team.
Jäderberg, Ludvigsson, Pålsson and Altberg are some names you might wanna remember.

Stolpskott

Apr 7, 2013
Stockholm
Also wanna add that I think Jäderberg and Ludvigsson would create an outstanding defensive pairing. Coaches usually doesn't put their best defensemen on the same line though.
Jäderberg and Ludvigsson played on different lines this tournament, just like Wallin and Björk.
Same thing last year. Småland's Alexander Younan and Jacob Larsson both had 2 points each in Marscupen and played on different lines. Just like Östergötland's Philip Nyberg and Philip Moteus, both had 4 points each in Marscupen and played on different lines.

Last edited:

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Oh, I have quite a different opinion about those players. I didn't really think that there was anything stand-out about them. I'd take Wallin over Björk though. To me, Björk was very shaky in the defensive zone. He has good skating, indeed, but he needs to work on his game in the defensive zone. I also felt like he was a bit selfish with the puck, he does have good puck control though.

Personally, I don't think any of Team Östergötland's players are close to making next years' Team Sweden U16. Except Treijs.

Has it been confirmed Treijs will represent Sweden?

Stolpskott

Apr 7, 2013
Stockholm
Has it been confirmed Treijs will represent Sweden?

Not "officially", but most certainly. He has been to all the national team camps for U15 players this year which you have to be Swedish to attend. Since Latvia doens't approve dual-citizenship I suppose he's only Swedish now, but that's still just speculation.

BPilgrim

Dec 14, 2010

Interesting. I thought Wallin really stood out this weekend. I agree Björk was more anonymous but I really like how easy it looks for him and as I've seen him quite a lot this season with LHC U16 I might have been influenced by that.

About team Sweden next year for U16 I have seen too little of other teams/districts to really make a judgement. My guess would be that either of Wallin/Björk will have a shot though.

Stolpskott

Apr 7, 2013
Stockholm
Interesting. I thought Wallin really stood out this weekend. I agree Björk was more anonymous but I really like how easy it looks for him and as I've seen him quite a lot this season with LHC U16 I might have been influenced by that.

About team Sweden next year for U16 I have seen too little of other teams/districts to really make a judgement. My guess would be that either of Wallin/Björk will have a shot though.

Well, Wallin had a good tournament indeed. But I feel like Björk has a tendency to put his teammates in a vulnerable position. It's not to obvious at a quick glance, but if you really examine his decisions with the puck you'll notice that he quite often takes decisions that makes the puck go the other way. I also got the perception that he was rather weak infront of the net, not necessarily because he's weak but because he mostly cares about the offensive game.

I've actually also watched a lot of U16 games this season thanks to livearena.com, especially HV71, Linköping and Frölunda(, since those are the best teams in U16 Elit Södra).
I really feel like Wallin should have gotten more games with Linköping U16 this year. He takes good decisions with the puck and plays very mature.
Also wanna say that Viktor Johansson might be a name to remember, he was in my mind the best U15 player in LHC U16 this season, behind Treijs. Great hockey-IQ and a good passer. Played very well in Marscupen as well.

I feel like this years' defensemen ('98) played a very similar type of game. Pretty much all of them are offensive D's, except Wallin. It's a good thing that they have a good goalie though, he has to be very consistent next year if LHC U16/Team Östergötland are gonna be as good as the '97's were this year.

HV71, on the other hand, are going to be a lot weaker next season. Only 4 players (!) from HV71 have been included on the preliminary roster for Småland. I don't know a whole lot about HV71's 1998-players but I feel like there's virtually no depth at all.

Last edited:

BPilgrim

Dec 14, 2010
I think that LHC U16 will suffer from not having Treijs, Björk and perhaps Viktor Johansson/Henbrant/Wallin/Lundh available all games due to J18 games next season. And I'm not at all sure the 98 group will be able to match the 97's winning U16 Elit södra. But I'm still convinced that LHC U16 will be a better team next season than this season. The 98's have, in my mind, a whole other depth than the 97's -- both offensively and defensively. They will not have a disadvantage regarding good players coming from down below either since there's quite a few interesting players born 99.

But it's very hard to predict and I agree with you that there might be a problem that all D's are more or less playmaking D's.

Don't know that much about what's going on in HV71 but they've had some weaker age groups for a few years now. They did great in the playoffs this year though, never thought they would do so well after the regular season.

BPilgrim

Dec 14, 2010
Does anyone know, by the way, why they've changed the format for tv-pucken for this year?

Just a quick glance at the groups makes me think there might be quite the difference in quality between the groups.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad