x- Mark Parrish
x- Craig Conroy
x- Tyler Arnason

speeds

Feb 27, 2002
St.Albert
Visit site
USA world cup team...

I'm honestly not even sure who is eligible for the US team.

Of those familiar with all the US players, what will their team look like?

Will Mara make the squad? How about Conklin and Mike York?

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
speeds said:
I'm honestly not even sure who is eligible for the US team.

Of those familiar with all the US players, what will their team look like?

Will Mara make the squad? How about Conklin and Mike York?
York yes, Conklin yes.

Goalies will undoubtebly be, and in order, Esche, Dipietro and Conklin. Conklin was probably on the bubble with Dunham and Boucher, but his performance in the worlds put him ahead of those 2 imo.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Fish on The Sand said:
York yes, Conklin yes.

Goalies will undoubtebly be, and in order, Esche, Dipietro and Conklin. Conklin was probably on the bubble with Dunham and Boucher, but his performance in the worlds put him ahead of those 2 imo.

Fair assessment. Dunham played well for the U.S. as well, but Conklin was even better. It will probably come down to whether Larry Pleau and Co wants a true "veteran" among the three goalies.

Dartmouth 02

Nov 18, 2003
New York, NY
Visit site
my team. GO USA.

dipietro, esche, conklin

leetch
schneider
rafalski
hatcher (ugh, but if he sucks we can always take him out)
mara
leopold
miller
hill

modano
weight
roenick
hull
tkachuk
conroy
drury
blake
grier
rolston
amonte
leclair
york
guerin
parrish

DownFromNJ

Mar 7, 2004
Wow, some people here are crazy. Scott Gomesz not playing top 12? Do you realise he led the league in assists last year? He was the #1 scorer after the allstar break? He has 2 cups and 1 Calder. He is one of the best centers USA has, easily as good as Modono. Mike is all washed up guys, and Doug Weight hasn't been doing so well either.

Scott Gomez for #1 scoring line center. Modono can play checking line.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
DownFromNJ said:
Wow, some people here are crazy. Scott Gomesz not playing top 12? Do you realise he led the league in assists last year? He was the #1 scorer after the allstar break? He has 2 cups and 1 Calder. He is one of the best centers USA has, easily as good as Modono. Mike is all washed up guys, and Doug Weight hasn't been doing so well either.

Scott Gomez for #1 scoring line center. Modono can play checking line.

::raises spoon to mouth::

mmm, the homerism is delicious!

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
HAHA, what a joke. What are you basing that upon. Scott Gomez had like 43 points in his last 26 games and was above a PPG in the playoffs. The guy is a premier playmaker in the league and should center USA's 2nd line. I suppost Legwand is better too....

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
JasonMacIsaac said:
HAHA, what a joke. What are you basing that upon. Scott Gomez had like 43 points in his last 26 games and was above a PPG in the playoffs. The guy is a premier playmaker in the league and should center USA's 2nd line. I suppost Legwand is better too....

thanks for coming in with a breath of objectivity, other-devils fan. i'm sorry. gomez should be named first line center...and captain, too! in the meantime, we'll also name hale, martin, langenbrunner, gionta and any other american devils to the team, in important roles.

As for Legwand, all i've said is that he'd be a good checking forward for his defensive play. Something like fourth line. i'm not bragging that he's "clearly the best center," as you guys are.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
nomorekids said:
thanks for coming in with a breath of objectivity, other-devils fan. i'm sorry. gomez should be named first line center...and captain, too! in the meantime, we'll also name hale, martin, langenbrunner, gionta and any other american devils to the team, in important roles.

As for Legwand, all i've said is that he'd be a good checking forward for his defensive play. Something like fourth line. i'm not bragging that he's "clearly the best center," as you guys are.
Find me where I said he is the best american centerman. I said the guy should be the 2nd line centerman on the team because he is the best playmaker they have on the team. Doug Weight may challenge him there but with the fire power like Guerin, Hull, Amonte ect I would think a playmaking centerman would be extremely effective on a team filled with snipers.

DownFromNJ

Mar 7, 2004
To say that one bad season makes Modano "washed up" is absolutely ridiculous. I'd MUCH rather have any one of Roenick, York, Weight or even Rolston above Gomez.

Mike York - 41 points in 62 games on an offensive team (if thats possible in today's NHL)
Doug Weight - 65 points in 75 games
Rolston - 48 points in 82 games
Roenick - 47 points in 62 games
Modano - 44 points in 76 games (-21 for the season)
Scott Gomez - 70 points in 80 games.

Doug Weight is the only person who compares to Scott Gomez points-wise. Course, Scott Gomez plays on the NHL record setting Jennings Trophy team, and Doug Weight plays on the St. Louis Blues. Rolston and Modano have won 1 cup each. Gomez has won two. Scott Gomez had more assists than Rolston, York, Roenick, or Modano had points. Scott Gomez was so good toward the end of this year that almost every single goal the Devils scored from the middle of March through the end of their playoff run was set up by Scott Gomez.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
JasonMacIsaac said:
Find me where I said he is the best american centerman. I said the guy should be the 2nd line centerman on the team because he is the best playmaker they have on the team. Doug Weight may challenge him there but with the fire power like Guerin, Hull, Amonte ect I would think a playmaking centerman would be extremely effective on a team filled with snipers.

i didn't say you said that...but DownFromNJ certainly did. I've got nothing against Gomez, and he definitely deserves to be on the team(although pulling out of the world championships rubbed me the wrong way) but I don't think it's in a first or even second line role. But we'll see. There will be people to evaluate that who are far more qualified than you or i.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
S.S. Giggy said:
Carney had better be in there, the Canadian team doesn't even have 1 Duck in there, and Sergei(Fedorov) ain't playing for Russia.

I think Carney will be there. He's played at a high level for some time now and is ideal for the North American ice surface.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Any chance that Ryan Malone makes team usa?
he seemed to play pretty well in the world championships from what little that I saw of him.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
No takers on Todd Marchant?
With NHL rinks and rules, you need a few guys who can play D and not just a bunch of offensive-minded guys. Marchant is still a great PK, grinding forward with good speed. I think he'd fit great on one of the bottom lines. Who knows? With better teammates, he might chip in a goal or two too.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
phaneuf_fan_3 said:
Any chance that Ryan Malone makes team usa?
he seemed to play pretty well in the world championships from what little that I saw of him.

No chance. More talented/veteran players available.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe said:
No takers on Todd Marchant?
With NHL rinks and rules, you need a few guys who can play D and not just a bunch of offensive-minded guys. Marchant is still a great PK, grinding forward with good speed. I think he'd fit great on one of the bottom lines. Who knows? With better teammates, he might chip in a goal or two too.

The U.S. has several players of his ilk to choose from. I guess it'll come down to preferance. He'd be fine on a checking line, but who would you leave out? Personally, I'd like a fourth line of Rolston, York, and Conroy.

Last edited:

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Rabid Ranger said:
No chance. More talented/veteran players available.

Isnt that the point though that Malone is A younger talented player. Also that they Need some of the young blood that many other countries are coming up with because they seem to be getting older by the second. I guess thats mostly on defence but still.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
phaneuf_fan_3 said:
Isnt that the point though that Malone is A younger talented player. Also that they Need some of the young blood that many other countries are coming up with because they seem to be getting older by the second. I guess thats mostly on defence but still.

The U.S. has plenty of young talent coming down the pike. That has nothing to do however with the World Cup which is taking place THIS YEAR. The U.S. will ice a veteran roster to be sure, but most of the guys are still in their prime (early to mid 30s), and the odd guy that is older, such as Chris Chelios, can still be effective under the right circumstances.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Rabid Ranger said:
The U.S. has several players of his ilk to choose from. I guess it'll come down to preferance. He'd be fine on a checking line, but who would you leave out? Personally, I'd like a fourth line of Rolston, York, and Conroy.

I like your fourth line. Part of my point with Marchant is that the team should grab a few defensive-minded guys (whether it be Marchant or Rolston or whomever). Canada picked up Maltby and Draper. Some posters seem to want to roll out four scoring lines, which I don't think will fly.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe said:
I like your fourth line. Part of my point with Marchant is that the team should grab a few defensive-minded guys (whether it be Marchant or Rolston or whomever). Canada picked up Maltby and Draper. Some posters seem to want to roll out four scoring lines, which I don't think will fly.

No, I don't think the run and gun approach will fly either, which is why there will be a few defensive minded players on the U.S. team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->