U.S. World Cup Roster....Ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Taking my cue from the Team Canada thread, what are your ideas for who should be on the U.S. team? My thoughts:

Forwards. There will be some turnover due to age, injuries, quality of play. Here is who I think are definates:

Modano, Amonte, Tkachuk, Weight, Guerin, Drury, Roenick. That leaves five roster spots. Potential additions: Hull, LeClair, Rolston, York, Konowalchuk, Gomez, Langenbrunner, Parrish, Legwand, Cole.

Defense. Again, some turnover is definate. My definates:

Leetch, Miller, Schneider, Rafalski. That leaves three to four additonal players. Potential additions: Mara, Hedican, Hill, Klee, Berard, Leopold, Carney, Hatcher, Liles, Weinrich, Poti, Gill, Chelios.

Goaltenders. Again, some turnover. Definates:

Esche, DiPietro. That leaves one spot. Potential additions: Grahame, Conklin, Dunham, Johnson, Boucher, Johnson.

Here's my team (there will be three extra players due to the roster being up to 26 players, these are "extras"):

LeClair-Modano-Hull
Tkachuk-Roenick-Amonte
Konowalchuk-Weight-Guerin
Drury-Legwand-York

Extras: Rolston and Gomez

Leetch-Carney
Schneider-Miller
Rafalski-Chelios
Mara-Leopold

Extra: Hatcher

Esche
Dunham
DiPietro

DarkHorse

Go Banana!
Jul 15, 2003
After seeing the 18-second wonder in the WC semis, I'd hope Dunham stays home. Give me Esche, DiPietro and Conklin. This way, we're building for the future. No need for one of Dunham's frequent injuries to crop up.

As far as the rest goes:
Hull - Weight - Roenick
LeClair - Modano - Drury
Amonte - Holik - Guerin
Blake - Gomez - York
Parrish

Leetch - Mara
Miller - Poti
Schneider - Rafalski
Leopold

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Tkachuk-Roenick-Guerin
Modano-Conroy-Drury
Konowalchuk-Gomez-McEachern
LeClair-Weight-Amonte

Possible extras: York, Parrish

Leetch-Mara
Schneider-Miller
Rafalski-Hatcher

Possible extras: Carney, Leopold, Berard

Esche
DiPietro
Conklin

Last edited:

BruinsGirl

Aug 27, 2002
Bruinsville, MA
Visit site
I recall Hull on HNIC saying that he wasn't interested in playing in the Cup and rather play golf...(he said he wasn't alone). Anyways..he is a great player but I wouldn't put him on the first line...(if he is oin his usual lately scoring drought he doesn't help the team in any other aspect).

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Modano didn't get a single goal during the last Olympics. He played with Hull and Leclair/Amonte, time to find him some new dance partners if the US wants to get the most out of their superstar.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Modano = Dud said:
Modano didn't get a single goal during the last Olympics. He played with Hull and Leclair/Amonte, time to find him some new dance partners if the US wants to get the most out of their superstar.

Modano played the set-up role on the line with Hull and LeClair, and aside from the gold medal game, was one of the most dominate lines in the tourney.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
BruinsGirl said:
I recall Hull on HNIC saying that he wasn't interested in playing in the Cup and rather play golf...(he said he wasn't alone). Anyways..he is a great player but I wouldn't put him on the first line...(if he is oin his usual lately scoring drought he doesn't help the team in any other aspect).

Maybe he'll be there, maybe he won't. He has all summer to play golf, and is prone to chaning his mind, so we'll see. As for his spot on the U.S. team, what I posted was just an outline, don't think of it as 1st through 4th lines etc.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
rather than legwand from the Preds, I'd like to see Adam Hall get some consideration, as he plays a great checking role in these competitions and even chips in a goal here and there. Mark Eaton might also warrant some consideration. He had the best +- on the Preds and played in all situations...rarely making a mistake. Probably our best positional defenseman.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
My team USA:

Leclair - Modano - Hull
Amonte - Gomez - Roenick
Tkachuk - Weight - Guerin
Drury - Conroy - York

Extras: Rolston and Legwand

Leetch - Miller
Schneider - Rafalski
Leopold - Carney
Mara - Chelios

Extra: Derian Hatcher

Robert Esche
Rick Dipietro
Mike Dunham (over Conklin for veteran experience)

Shane

Nov 6, 2003
United Kingdom
Visit site
How will Hatcher's suspension affect Team USA? THe NHL would look mighty hypocritical if they allow Hatcher to play but don't allow Bertuzzi to do so, albeit the circumstances surrounding the two are quite different.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Shane said:
How will Hatcher's suspension affect Team USA? THe NHL would look mighty hypocritical if they allow Hatcher to play but don't allow Bertuzzi to do so, albeit the circumstances surrounding the two are quite different.

I think Hatcher's days as a member of the National Team are over, he didn't make the Olympic team and I just dont see him making this team either.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Well this team looks good except it's getting maybe a little too old. For example Brett Hull or Chelios are not the players they once were, and played very average hockey this season. But this team has a good chance to go far.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
My Team USA - assuming everyone is healthy

Drury - Modano - Hull
Tkachuk - Weight - Roenick
Konowalchuk - Legwand - Parrish
York - Gomez - Guerin

Leetch - Carney
Schnieder - Miller
Rafalski - Leopold

Esche
Dipietro
Grahame

Extras: Langenbrunner, Rolston, Cole, Mara, and Klee

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Langenbrunner's knee wasn't near 100% in the playoffs so he may take the time to rehab it. When on he can be dangerous but when he isn't the guy can be invisable.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
John Flyers Fan said:
My Team USA - assuming everyone is healthy

Drury - Modano - Hull
Tkachuk - Weight - Roenick
Konowalchuk - Legwand - Parrish
York - Gomez - Guerin

Leetch - Carney
Schnieder - Miller
Rafalski - Leopold

Esche
Dipietro
Grahame

Extras: Langenbrunner, Rolston, Cole, Mara, and Klee

Ugh .. didn't realize Conroy was an American. He would center my checking line instead of Legwand.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
John Flyers Fan said:
Ugh .. didn't realize Conroy was an American. He would center my checking line instead of Legwand.

Could you imagine a "checking" line with Conroy, York, and Rolston, or Drury, or Jason Blake, or Jamie Langenbrunner. Pretty effective IMO.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
Could you imagine a "checking" line with Conroy, York, and Rolston, or Drury, or Jason Blake, or Jamie Langenbrunner. Pretty effective IMO.

I'd go Conroy, Konowalchuk and Mike York as my checking line.

Nihilism

May 2, 2003
Canada
I'm not an American, but here is who I'd put on the team if I was their GM

DiPietro, Grahame, Esche

Leetch, Poti, Berard, Carney, Hill, Hatcher, Schneider, Rafalski

Tkachuk, Roenick, Weight, Guerin, Modano, Drury, Gomez, York, Langenbrunner, Amonte, Hull, Rolston, Legwand, Conroy, Knuble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->