U.S. Training Camp Invite List (proposed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Following the Canadian model, I'd like to list who I think should/will be invited to the U.S. camp (for the Olympics) which will be held in Lake Placid:

Goaltenders (x4):

Rick Dipietro
Robert Esche
Ty Conklin
John Grahame

Defensemen (x12):

Brian Leetch
Paul Martin
Brian Rafalksi
Chris Chelios
John-Michael Liles
Hal Gill
Aaron Miller
Jordan Leopold
David Tanabe
Paul Mara
Derian Hatcher
Brooks Orpik

Forwards (x20):

Mike Modano
Doug Weight
Scott Gomez
David Legwand
Chris Drury
Mike York
Brian Rolston
Keith Tkachuk
Jeremy Roenick
Bill Guerin
Mike Knuble
Mark Parrish
Craig Conroy
Dustin Brown
Zach Parise
Brian Gionta
Jamie Langenbrunner
Adam Hall
Erik Cole
Jason Blake

Last edited:

espo*

No Cole? I'd take him to camp if i were them.And why would you name Brown? I guess it would be good to name guys like him and Parise for competition at camp but to have them and exclude Cole makes me wonder.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
cyclops said:
No Cole? I'd take him to camp if i were them.And why would you name Brown? I guess it would be good to name guys like him and Parise for competition at camp but to have them and exclude Cole makes me wonder.

There's always a name or so I forget in these types of things. Cole will definately be there. I added him and took out Park. Guys like Brown and Parise are nods to the future.

espo*

I see.I actually think Cole will make the team too.He played very well at the world's and is a big,good skating power forward who can score.The type of guy to take Leclair's spot i would say.

espo*

To me,the U.S has to start going with a different mind-set in their picks of defensive players for the next olympics. I really believe they should start to steer away from the offensively skilled,mobile transition game outlet passing type defense they have wanted to run through to their forwards the last few international tournaments and bring a tougher and bigger unit that brings some more jam to the rink this time. To that end,guys like Schneider(not big but plays big and is nasty) and guys like Gill might make more sense this time around.They have to be able to contain the forcheck teams send at them and when the going has gotten really rough in that direction i don't think the defensive pairings they have brought to tournaments in recent years has been able to handle that very well.The forwards are good enough, a transition focused type game is not required imo.Just play tough "d" in their own zone and keep it simple.

There is still room for guys like Rafalski(slick and competent defensively) and Leetch(his skills are still sublime and who better to run the p.p?) but leave guys like Liles and leopold out of the equation this time if possible. The trouble in doing this right now is that there has been a lag in defensive prospects from the States in the past decade where not many world class types of defensmen of this ilk have been produced so they are still having to go with guys like Chelios and such and as great as he was they need new nasty blood..........at 42 he's a bit long in the tooth to be doing "counted on" action agains the best players in the world in intense back to back games. Soon..........this problem will be solved when the newer crop of promising young American defensemen mature such as Orpik,Welch,Suter,Stuart,Whitney,Hale,Mara,Martin,Orpik, and a slew of others emerge.

The olymics in Vancouver will be witness to this transition to promising young American defensmen but they are'nt there yet most of these guys listed.Still...........Orpik should get a good look in camp imo and guys like Gill and Hatcher(if he rebounds) should be included.Miller is most likely a lock and an example of the type of defensmen they need more of for Torino but are'nt really available in great numbers of the world class variety right now.In 2010 they most likely will be.

The forwards will be fine for Torino but the defense is still the achilles heel i think.But..........they should begin going in a new direction in their defensive orientation i think and move in guys like Orpik this time around.martin will in all probability be there,every time he plays for them he further cements his rep for U.S brass in his ability. In short............i jusst think it's time to go in a new direction defense wise.

I could be wrong but that's what i think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad