U.S teams drafting U.S players

Status
Not open for further replies.

canadian in U.S.

Dec 9, 2004
Lately there have been many U.S. teams getting high draft picks and picking U.S. players. Now this is nothing against american players but there have been some picks that I have been mad with not because the players arent good but because there are other players who are better. The islanders essentially traded Olli Jokinen and Loungo (two of the best players in the game) to get a chance to get Pick Dipietro. He has been solid but nowhere near as good as loungo. Not even as good as Heatley or Gaborik drafted after dipietro. Loungo was considered very good before traded. A couple of years of experience in the Chl and a couple of years in the nhl. Now the rangers got Montoya who I thoguht was alright but I thought he was a little overrated despite his junior game against Canada. He was good. Not too much blame there but it seems that these teams drafted these guys because they wanted a US player. Just my opinion so dont take it too seriously. Just wondering about your opinions too. By the way I think Kessell and Crosby would be the best one two punch in the game. If a team could get them both in the draft it would be amazing to watch.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
canadian in U.S. said:
Lately there have been many U.S. teams getting high draft picks and picking U.S. players. Now this is nothing against american players but there have been some picks that I have been mad with not because the players arent good but because there are other players who are better. The islanders essentially traded Olli Jokinen and Loungo (two of the best players in the game) to get a chance to get Pick Dipietro. He has been solid but nowhere near as good as loungo. Not even as good as Heatley or Gaborik drafted after dipietro. Loungo was considered very good before traded. A couple of years of experience in the Chl and a couple of years in the nhl. Now the rangers got Montoya who I thoguht was alright but I thought he was a little overrated despite his junior game against Canada. He was good. Not too much blame there but it seems that these teams drafted these guys because they wanted a US player. Just my opinion so dont take it too seriously. Just wondering about your opinions too. By the way I think Kessell and Crosby would be the best one two punch in the game. If a team could get them both in the draft it would be amazing to watch.

IMO it's too early to tell how DiPietro will (eventually) pan out. Although, I have to say that I personally felt he should've stayed another year at BU, but that's just my opinion.

As for American teams drafting American players, so what??? I doubt that these teams drafted American-born players just because they're American. They were likely drafted because these are the players that the NHL team felt was the best "fit" for them down the road and/or addresses a need.

Judging by your two examples, it seems to me that you're displeasure isn't about US-based NHL teams drafting American-born players, but rather US-based NHL teams drafting American born players playing in the NCAA.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
In the past 4 years the Canucks have drafted an American in the first round.

2001-R.J. Umberger
2002-None
2003-Ryan Kesler
2004- Cory Schneider

Big Bill

Feb 27, 2002
Land of milk & honey
Visit site
In the Islanders case, I though Milbury felt Dipietro would "revolutionize" the goalie position with his stickhandling ability, that being one of the main reasons he drafted him.

With the Rangers, they had Montoya pegged as the BPA. Sather and Maloney loved his attitude and work ethic etc...

It had nothing to do with them being American. It had to do with the teams drafting them thinking they were the BPA

sonnytheman

Apr 9, 2002
Ithaca, Mtl
Visit site
in 2000, 2001, 2002, the Habs took an American in the first round

Lots of teams are taking Americans nowadays. Not for marketability, but because there's excellent talent coming from there.

X-SHARKIE

Since Tim Burke became the head scout in San Jose we have plucked USA High School players at age 17-18 waiting to go and be a true college freshman and it has produced many Gems.

It's not advertising by any means, in fact I was listening to the Blackhawks radio and they were happy at this past draft (2004) that the Hawks took Canadians instead of Russians lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad