U.S. National Team Thread VI #fireJurgen

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Klinsy likes Cameron. It would surprise me if he didn't play. I still dream of a 3-5-2

Jozy - Wood
FJ - Nagbe - Jones - Bedoya - Yedlin
Besler - Cameron - Gonzo​

In that second lineup I meant to have GCam in for one of Gonzo/Besler.

But yea I like that formation...honestly it's not too different from how I expect that narrow diamond that I posted to play...I just have Klejstan in for Jones (and expect Sacha higher up the field)

Wood up top with Jozy playing off of him...Keljstan in the middle behind the two. Cameron at CDM/Sweeper essentially and Nagbe/Bedoya as the box to box CMs. It would require a lot of work rate from Yedlin and FJ but they are up for it.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
In that second lineup I meant to have GCam in for one of Gonzo/Besler.

But yea I like that formation...honestly it's not too different from how I expect that narrow diamond that I posted to play...I just have Klejstan in for Jones (and expect Sacha higher up the field)

That is true. I think the responsibilities would be a little different but it's definitely a similar idea.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I don't think we have the ability for a successful back 3. Conte and Italy showed that you can use it effectively to overcome a lack of talent, which we have, but you still need certain traits for it to work.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I don't think we have the ability for a successful back 3. Conte and Italy showed that you can use it effectively to overcome a lack of talent, which we have, but you still need certain traits for it to work.

I'm not sure. Obviously our back three doesn't touch the back three of Italy. But we have solid wing backs and I think those two forwards will play well off each other.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
USA has great personnel to play three at the back, but the wrong coaching staff to implement it.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I really don't think we do. We don't have good enough CBs or DMs to do it.

You don't need a great DM necessarily. Cameron and Brooks are certainly good enough CBs to play. I think CCV/Miazga would be as well. Besler is a capable stand in. I think given full health, this formation looks good:

Altidore - Wood/Dempsey
FJ - Nagbe - Jones - Bradley - Yedlin
Cameron - Besler - Brooks

I see Nagbe and Bradley playing dual B2B midfielders. Jones doesn't need to be great, just good enough to distribute short passes and cycle possession. Yedlin and FJ should both be fantastic wing backs.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I really don't think we do. We don't have good enough CBs or DMs to do it.

Have you seen their fullbacks?

Johnson and Yedlin are made to play as the wingers in that formation, and Johnson plays that position specifically for his
Club team at a very high level. USA can use their athletic players at those spots. USA has a lot of CBs actually. I think it could work.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
CB is arguably our best position. It would make sense to construct a formation where as many of them are on the field as possible.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
I don't see why we can't play a 3 man backline (really a 5 man). For the past few years when Beckerman has started, we have basically been playing a sort of hybrid system of that. The fullbacks were almost always pushed up and expected to provide the width and Beckerman was staying at home just in front of the two CBs. Why not play a similar system except with a player who has much more range than Beckerman (Geoff Cameron) sitting slightly in front of two CBs?

So it would be Yedlin and FJ as the wingbacks...with Brooks as the LCB and one of Besler/Gonzo/Birnbaum (wish Miazga was getting consistent minutes) as the RCB. Then Cameron in between them.

Higher up the field you would have a ton of options. For me, Jozy and Wood are the starting duo up top with Dempsey as a super sub. Then the 3 man CM trio is Bradley and Bedoya as box to box mids and Nagbe or Klejstan playing behind the two strikers.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Most teams that play a 4-3-3 or some variation of that with a holding midfielder end up in a 3 man back line when attacking, but they still rely on a back 4 when defending.

We don't have players that are good enough on the ball to play with a back 3. Besides Johnson and Yedlin, we have no depth for wingbacks. I don't think we have the CM's good enough to do what it takes either. We don't have the athleticism or ball-playing ability to do it.

We'd be destroyed by good teams.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Most teams that play a 4-3-3 or some variation of that with a holding midfielder end up in a 3 man back line when attacking, but they still rely on a back 4 when defending.

We don't have players that are good enough on the ball to play with a back 3. Besides Johnson and Yedlin, we have no depth for wingbacks. I don't think we have the CM's good enough to do what it takes either. We don't have the athleticism or ball-playing ability to do it.

We'd be destroyed by good teams.

How would what I proposed be so much different than this:

-------Jozy---------Wood
--------Nagbe/Klejstan
---Bradley------------Bedoya
-----------Cameron
FJ---Brooks-------Besler----Yedlin

Same exact group of players. You don't think that we could do well with this lineup?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Same exact group of players. You don't think that we could do well with this lineup?

I guess define well.

We'd need a new coach for a back 3, but I don't think anyone would complain there. Unfortunately with our inability to play quality, link-up soccer, we'd be hemmed in too much and we'd be playing a 5-3-2 too much.

For USA soccer to perform at it's best right now, it still has to be counter-attacking based, and absorb a lot of pressure. A back 3 in that scenario could end in disaster if not done properly.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
I guess define well.

We'd need a new coach for a back 3, but I don't think anyone would complain there. Unfortunately with our inability to play quality, link-up soccer, we'd be hemmed in too much and we'd be playing a 5-3-2 too much.

For USA soccer to perform at it's best right now, it still has to be counter-attacking based, and absorb a lot of pressure. A back 3 in that scenario could end in disaster if not done properly.

That's why I advocate the narrow 4-4-2 which plays kinda like a 3 man backline but kinda not at the same time. Regardless, yes I would love a new coach as long as he cut the dead weight like Beckerman, Orozco, Wondo and that ilk.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
They can make a push by proving themselves on their clubs. Our younger generation simply isn't good enough right now. Spots on the national team can't just be given out to young players just because we want them to push through.

I'd say Gooch and Miazga have earned call ups with their club play(Miazga more last season than this one)

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
They can make a push by proving themselves on their clubs. Our younger generation simply isn't good enough right now. Spots on the national team can't just be given out to young players just because we want them to push through.

We dont have any players that could push Orozco, Beckermna, and Wondo out of their spots on the roster? Seriously???

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
sad...Wil Trapp hopefully will be there one day...but he's been struggling with the Crew (which as a team has struggled)

That was kind of a rhetorical question. No doubt we have the CBs, CDMs, and STs necessary to displace those guys. They should be way down on the depth chart at this stage, but JK wants to have their babies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad