U.S. National Team Thread VI #fireJurgen

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
I literally said the Gold Cup was a low and he should have been fired. I don't like Jurgen, but lets not act like the USMNT can compete with top clubs.

Donovan has retired, and Bradley and Dempsey are both past their primes. We haven't had a difference maker step up and take their spot. That's a talent issue. We have 0 difference making talents. One person can't transform our youth development. One person can't make our top athletes choose soccer instead of baseball, football, basketball, or even hockey.

Stop. Just stop with this strawman.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Stop. Just stop with this strawman.

Then don't use Copa as an example for firing Jurgen. Even if we played our best, and Argentina played their typical game, they would've stomped us. The Copa played out exactly how it should have for the games presented to us.

You also can't say that Jurgen was suppose to advance us and then call me a strawman. If Jurgen was suppose to advance us then it was to complete with top teams. He has a higher winning percentage than Bradley and Arena, just a couple points though. He's done just as well as past managers. He's not a transcendent coach, this proves that it's a lack of talent issue.

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
Then don't use Copa as an example for firing Jurgen. Even if we played our best, and Argentina played their typical game, they would've stomped us. The Copa played out exactly how it should have for the games presented to us.

You also can't say that Jurgen was suppose to advance us and then call me a strawman. If Jurgen was suppose to advance us then it was to complete with top teams. He has a higher winning percentage than Bradley and Arena, just a couple points though. He's done just as well as past managers. He's not a transcendent coach, this proves that it's a lack of talent issue.

Once again, we didn't get a single shot off against Argentina. That is 100 percent a coaching problem. And on top of that, what the hell were Wondo, Beckerman and Zusi doing out there in the first place? This guy puts out scared, slow lineups that are destined to fail, and then everyone blames the players rather than the guy who chooses the rosters and lineups.

Klinsmann's performance over the past couple of years has been atrocious. His winning percentage is barely above Arena's. He's being paid four times more than Bradley to get essentially the same results. His first cycle was okay. Extending his contract was a huge blunder.

And again, I understand that we're stuck with him and he's not going anywhere, but just don't revert to the argument that Mike is dragging out again that he's some world-beater who can't be replaced, or your argument that our problems are 100 percent down to our players and that we wouldn't benefit from better coaching than Klinsmann can offer.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Once again, we didn't get a single shot off against Argentina. That is 100 percent a coaching problem. And on top of that, what the hell were Wondo, Beckerman and Zusi doing out there in the first place? This guy puts out scared, slow lineups that are destined to fail, and then everyone blames the players rather than the guy who chooses the rosters and lineups.

Klinsmann's performance over the past couple of years has been atrocious. His winning percentage is barely above Arena's. He's being paid four times more than Bradley to get essentially the same results. His first cycle was okay. Extending his contract was a huge blunder.

And again, I understand that we're stuck with him and he's not going anywhere, but just don't revert to the argument that Mike is dragging out again that he's some world-beater who can't be replaced, or your argument that our problems are 100 percent down to our players and that we wouldn't benefit from better coaching than Klinsmann can offer.

Wood, Bedoya, and Jones weren't available. I would've loved for Nagbe to get more of a chance, but lets not act like Nagbe or Pulisic would've made a difference if they started.

What could Jurgen have done differently against Argentina? They were always going to stomp us. Players weren't good enough and part of that is a talent issue. A massive talent different will always trump a crafty chess move. Jurgen isn't a top coach to elevate his team past their talent level anyway. If that was his expectation, they you have too high of expectations.

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
Once again, I'm not demanding that we beat Argentina. I'm suggesting that the fact we couldn't even get a shot off against them is a coaching problem. We need to stop giving the players 100 percent of the blame for these shoddy performances and absolving Klinsmann of all responsibility. And unfortunately that is the hallmark of the Klinsmann era, whereby he gets all the praise when we win and none of the blame when we lose.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I'm kind of with you. Jurgen should get just as much praise as Arena and Bradley got, not more, no less. Same goes on blame, no more, no less. I have a hard time blaming the coach for Argentina because that's what will happen when a team like Argentina plays their best. That's just the current state of the USMNT. I'm fine with Argentina destroying us, but we shouldn't lose or play down to other opponents on or below our level. That's why Jurgen should have been previously fired.

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
Once again, I'm not demanding that we beat Argentina. I'm suggesting that the fact we couldn't even get a shot off against them is a coaching problem.

Well, Man City managed one shot on goal over two legs in the semis of the Champions league against Real Madrid last year. That's just the reality of being outclassed in Football.

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
I think Mike Emrick justs posts stuff like this to get me worked up. :laugh:

Sep 19, 2008
Men in Blazers 08/02/16: USWNT Pod Special With Jill Ellis
Men In Blazers
Duration: 26:54
Published: Tue, 02 Aug 2016 15:39:45 +0000
URL: http://feeds.soundcloud.com/stream/...-080216-uswnt-pod-special-with-jill-ellis.mp3

Rog talks with USWNT manager Jill Ellis about the challenges facing the defending gold medalists in Brazil, the difficulty of narrowing her roster to 18 players and the team's evolving style of play.

Subscribe to this podcast: http://feeds.feedburner.com/MenInBlazers

----
Sent from Podcast Republic 2.8.11
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.itunestoppodcastplayer.app

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
GOALKEEPERS (3): Brad Guzan (Middlesbrough), Ethan Horvath (Molde FC), Tim Howard (Colorado Rapids)

DEFENDERS (9): Kellyn Acosta (FC Dallas), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), Steve Birnbaum (D.C. United), John Brooks (Hertha BSC), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Omar Gonzalez (Pachuca), Fabian Johnson (Borussia Monchengladbach), Michael Orozco (Club Tijuana), DeAndre Yedlin (Newcastle United)

MIDFIELDERS (9): Paul Arriola (Club Tijuana), Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake),Alejandro Bedoya (Philadelphia Union), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Jermaine Jones (Colorado Rapids), Darlington Nagbe (Portland Timbers), Christian Pulisic (Borussia Dortmund), Caleb Stanko (FC Vaduz), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)

FORWARDS (5): Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders FC), Rubio Rubin (FC Utrecht), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes), Bobby Wood (Hamburg SV)

hah wondo

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Bradley and Orozco are out for the first qualifier. It's against St. Vincent anyway. What do you guys see as the starting lineup?

For the St. Vincent game, I'm hoping for:
Pulisic-Altidore-Morris
Nagbe-Bedoya
Jones
Johnson-Brooks-Cameron-Yedlin
Howard/Guzan (don't care as much about this)

vs. T&T
Altidore-Morris
Nagbe-Bradley-Jones-Bedoya
Johnson-Brooks-Cameron-Yedlin
Howard/Guzan

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
I imagine that Jurgen goes with vets against SVG so we can potentially clinch before the T&T game. I highly doubt he's going to put inexperienced players in a must win game on the road in CONCACAF (I realize it's SVG, but remember Antigua away in 2012?).

Howard/Guzan
Yedlin - Cameron - Brooks - Johnson
Beckerman - Jones
Zusi - Bedoya - Wood
Altidore

If we win and T&T wins vs. Guatemala, we clinch a hex spot. If that happens, I'd think/hope that JK gives some of the younger guys a run out vs. T&T, as it would pretty much be a glorified friendly at that point.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
Would have liked to see less of the old guard but I more expect that for the Cuba and New Zealand friendlies. If Jurgen brings in the likes of Wondo and Beckerman and Howard to those games then I will really be worried about what our team will look like in the Hex.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Would be ecstatic with this narrow diamond on Friday:

------Jozy------Wood
---------Klejstan
----Nagbe-----Bedoya
---------Cameron
FJ---Besler---Gonzo---Yedlin

Instead I expect this:

-----Jozy--Wood
Zusi-------------Bedoya
--------Nagbe
-------Beckerman
Same back 4

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Would be ecstatic with this narrow diamond on Friday:

------Jozy------Wood
---------Klejstan
----Nagbe-----Bedoya
---------Cameron
FJ---Besler---Gonzo---Yedlin

Instead I expect this:

-----Jozy--Wood
Zusi-------------Bedoya
--------Nagbe
-------Beckerman
Same back 4

Klinsy likes Cameron. It would surprise me if he didn't play. I still dream of a 3-5-2

Jozy - Wood
FJ - Nagbe - Jones - Bedoya - Yedlin
Besler - Cameron - Gonzo​

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad