U.S. National Team Thread VI #fireJurgen

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
I think that is a bit extreme. but who knows.

Right now we're below Mexico. Jamaica, Panama, and Costa Rica are all on the upswing(all three share a group in the next stage so only two will get out) and have shown they can beat the US if Klinnsmann refuses to adapt. If those three finish above us we'd have to get through a playoff game where I'm just not confident we can win at this point in time.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
And what competent coach with international experience will replace JK?

Reality is that any average to above-average Bundesliga coach could do a more competent job than JK. Like this one:

At least I live in Austria and can live vicariously through the currently outstanding Austrian team, which legitimately has a great coach and not a snake oil salesman.

Zero name recognition internationally before he got hired, but he actually is a football coach. Klinsmann? Got the name recognition, but nothing else.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
The Red Bulls would trounce that USMNT we saw out there tonight in a 7 game series.

This squad needs a serious revolution or else we might struggle to get out of this WCQ group for ****s sake

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Right now we're below Mexico. Jamaica, Panama, and Costa Rica are all on the upswing(all three share a group in the next stage so only two will get out) and have shown they can beat the US if Klinnsmann refuses to adapt. If those three finish above us we'd have to get through a playoff game where I'm just not confident we can win at this point in time.

We're below Costa Rica right now and not just because of last night.

PattyLafontaine

Apr 5, 2006
My biggest issue is the MLS hate. Look, the league isn't the Bundesliga - we know that. But it's where the majority of Americans end up in their young careers. It's to the benefit of our NT that the MLS grows. It doesn't have to be Europe.

He has no interest in giving a lot of MLS guys a run. I understand the likes of Kljestan, McCarty, Feilhaber, etc aren't long term fixtures in the starting 11. But that they'll never get a sniff of an invite while the Alvarados, Morales, Orozco, of the world keep getting invites is crazy.

There were plenty of good moves to grab dual nationals, but this obsession with anyone who is "part American" is ridiculous. This isn't Guiseppe Rossi in his prime - it's people like Timmy Chandler. Enough.

Actually, it does have to be Europe. I get that people want the MLS to become a great but the fact of the matter is that all of the best players in the world play in Europe. Playing against inferior players doesn't make you better. Even the younger players would be suited to start in Europe in the Belgian or Dutch leagues and then move up to one of the 5 big leagues. The problem is the Visa issue. To get a Visa you need to be a top level player in the country you represent.

The alternative method is to gain citizenship in an EU country, which would mean moving to Europe at an earlier age.

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
Actually, it does have to be Europe. I get that people want the MLS to become a great but the fact of the matter is that all of the best players in the world play in Europe. Playing against inferior players doesn't make you better. Even the younger players would be suited to start in Europe in the Belgian or Dutch leagues and then move up to one of the 5 big leagues. The problem is the Visa issue. To get a Visa you need to be a top level player in the country you represent.

The alternative method is to gain citizenship in an EU country, which would mean moving to Europe at an earlier age.

I doubt it makes that much difference by the time these guys are in their 20s. Going to a European league doesn't automatically make you better - it means you're good enough to play in a European league. It would help if they'd go over as kids and be developed by European academies, but an American player isn't going to improve significantly by moving to Europe at the age of 23 or 24.

PattyLafontaine

Apr 5, 2006
I doubt it makes that much difference by the time these guys are in their 20s. Going to a European league doesn't automatically make you better - it means you're good enough to play in a European league. It would help if they'd go over as kids and be developed by European academies, but an American player isn't going to improve significantly by moving to Europe at the age of 23 or 24.

Actually it still does make a difference because you are constantly challenging yourself against top players. You don't there's a difference in playing against Brad Davis or Darlington Nagbe versus say Luke Shaw or Kevin De Bruyne. Sure, it's clearly better to start as a youngster but even in your early twenties by constantly playing higher level talent you develop the experience of understanding what works against top players and what is needed from the mental aspect of the game moreso than playing against players who are of a championship (English) level.

Bradley playing at Toronto is a complete waste.

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
Actually it still does make a difference because you are constantly challenging yourself against top players. You don't there's a difference in playing against Brad Davis or Darlington Nagbe versus say Luke Shaw or Kevin De Bruyne. Sure, it's clearly better to start as a youngster but even in your early twenties by constantly playing higher level talent you develop the experience of understanding what works against top players and what is needed from the mental aspect of the game moreso than playing against players who are of a championship (English) level.

Bradley playing at Toronto is a complete waste.

You're completely overstating it. Michael Bradley coming to Toronto FC at the age of 27 makes little to no difference. Playing in Seattle certainly hasn't impaired Dempsey's level of play, and he's playing against the same competition as Bradley. MLS has been around for 20 years now - there is no evidence that going to Europe has especially helped U.S. players, just like there's no preponderance of evidence that coming back to MLS has hurt them. There are plenty of cases of players who have gone to Europe and stagnated just like there are plenty of cases of players who have thrived in MLS. These guys have completed most of their development before they ever get to Europe. Any improvement at that point is barely significant.

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
Dempsey has been trash lately for the USMNT

He scored seven goals at the Gold Cup. If he's been off in the past couple of games (like the rest of the team), it pretty obviously has nothing whatsoever to do with MLS.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad