U.S. National Team Thread VI #fireJurgen

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
I've been advocating his firing for a long time, but I don't see it. I think he doesn't get fired unless we get off to a horrible start to World Cup qualifying.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Shouldn't be fired after that. Everything went to plan, and we got beaten by a worldie.

Maybe he should have been fired before, but that was before.

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
I've been advocating his firing for a long time, but I don't see it. I think he doesn't get fired unless we get off to a horrible start to World Cup qualifying.

I think they got him to help build the program for the future. They have been able to convince a lot of dual internationals to play for the United States.

Last edited:

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
I think they got him to help build the program for the future. They have been able to convince a lot of dual internationals to play for the United Stated.

That's great, and he can still do that without being the head coach. But of course, the problem is TC Klinsmann seemingly can't pick a competent coach either (see Porter, Caleb and Herzog, Andi with the U-23's).

Regardless, if somehow Klinsmann does get fired, he's going to leave both roles.

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
He played a Jermaine Jones who returned from a groin injury as a left midfielder for 120 minutes ! Even Klopas wouldn't have done something that idiotic. Dempsey offered nothing.

Klinsmann is a horrible manager ; Donovan and Eddie Johnson agreed.

xavi4life

Mr. Irreverent
Jun 30, 2007
Los Angeles
Klinsmann isn't the problem. The US system is the problem. The best athletes in the country play other, more lucrative sports, he's done well considering he's got very little talent to work with.

When the US decides to really focus on training technique, passing and tactics for the younger generations it will make a difference.

Congrats to Mexico, try not to burn down Pasadena. :sarcasm:

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
Shouldn't be fired after that. Everything went to plan, and we got beaten by a worldie.

Was the plan to let Mexico have a power play for the entire second half? :laugh:

I think they got him to help build the program for the future. They have been able to convince a lot of dual internationals to play for the United Stated.

I don't know that winning over dual nationals is all that sustainable. He's good at it (probably the only thing I like about him), but I'd prefer a guy who is able to improve the domestic development program as well as coach the senior team well, and I don't see the evidence that he's good at either of those things.

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
Klinsmann isn't the problem. The US system is the problem. The best athletes in the country play other, more lucrative sports, he's done well considering he's got very little talent to work with.

When the US decides to really focus on training technique, passing and tactics for the younger generations it will make a difference.

Problem with this argument is that every one of Klinsmann's predecessors have at least matched his performance (Bruce Arena surpassed it), and with considerably less celebrity and far lower salaries (as well as a lower overall level of skill by American players). Sure, our players aren't world-beaters, but that doesn't mean Klinsmann is a good coach. Our players' abilities can be maximized with a good coach, and that ain't Klinsmann.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Was the plan to let Mexico have a power play for the entire second half? :laugh:

Judging by the team selection, it wouldn't be surprising if the plan was to play a low block and let Mexico be as wasteful as they generally were. It also negated Mexico's ability to make quick, incisive runs, and dulled their creativity.

Anyway, as already mentioned here, I don't think we have many good players, and in terms of how this team compares to ones in the more distant past, it's worse. I don't like Klinsmann as a coach, and I do think he's part of the problem because he picks the wrong teams, but we have a talent deficiency right now.

xavi4life

Mr. Irreverent
Jun 30, 2007
Los Angeles
Problem with this argument is that every one of Klinsmann's predecessors have at least matched his performance (Bruce Arena surpassed it), and with considerably less celebrity and far lower salaries. Sure, our players aren't world-beaters, but that doesn't mean Klinsmann is a good coach. Our players' abilities can be maximized with a good coach, and that ain't Klinsmann.

Questionable coaching? Sure, I can agree with that. All I'm saying is that hiring "X" isn't going to change the team that much. It's getting better every generation.

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
Questionable coaching? Sure, I can agree with that. All I'm saying is that hiring "X" isn't going to change the team that much. It's getting better every generation.

That's true... there is no magic bullet coach that will turn us into Argentina. I'm just worried that we're actually regressing under Klinsmann (apart from the fact that he's attracted some quality dual nationals).

xavi4life

Mr. Irreverent
Jun 30, 2007
Los Angeles
That's true... there is no magic bullet coach that will turn us into Argentina. I'm just worried that we're actually regressing under Klinsmann (apart from the fact that he's attracted some quality dual nationals).

IDK, I know we need to stop playing Beasley and Jones and probably Dempsey. They're too old now.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin

Everything went to plan? What were the possession numbers? Like 70/30 Mexico?

Edit: Just looked it up. 63/37 Mexico and the U.S. for the most part couldn't do a damn thing.

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
IDK, I know we need to stop playing Beasley and Jones and probably Dempsey. They're too old now.

Yes they are, but really, we've got no real replacements.. especially for Dempsey (or at least replacements that Jurgen trusts).

As for tonight, I had no problem with Beasley in a game like this. With Klinsmann preferring Fabian Johnson at RB, Beasley was the most logical option at LB (especially with Garza on the shelf).

Jones, I felt bad for tonight. He ran his ass off, but was unfortunately played out of position and all three Mexico goals came from his side. He was clearly gassed at around the 55-60' mark and for some reason he's forced to stay out there.... and you saw what happens when he's tired, he commits dumb fouls (MEX's third goal came off a Jones foul).

Dempsey? He was utter dog piss tonight. Arguably the worst game I've EVER seen him play. No reason for him to have gone 120', Jozy and Zardes were at least attempting to get in dangerous positions. Deuce was just interested in taking on 3-4 defenders and ignoring everyone else.

vwg*

Nov 16, 2005
Krasnoyarsk
Klinnsman is horrible. Sure, you're not going to turn into Argentina but you can do better than him for manager. The team is definitely regressing.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin

I thought Jones was one of the better players tonight. Not that that's saying much. Dempsey was slow and not doing much of anything when the ball was in an attacking area but that wasn't very often.

njdevscup30

Boom Boom
Apr 25, 2006
Blacksburg
Beasley was terrible all game. Mexico played the ball on his side all game with no trouble. It was obvious they were targeting that side. Plus Besler getting beat badly a few times including that 1st goal and our whole left side defense was a disaster all game.

We have no possession midfield. Beckerman is useless other than breaking up play once in a while. Jones is still pretty good but clearly nursing an injury and could not make a big impact. I thought the obvious 3rd sub should have been Danny Williams on for Jones/Beckerman (Even before the 2nd goal...so happy Wondo didn't come on). Fabian Johnson must've been injured because that Evans sub made no sense.

Nothing seems to make sense these days. We know Klinsman hates Donovan..but Klinsman also seems to hate Juan Agudelo who is by far our most creative striker. Bewilders me how he continues to get no shot, even when scoring for his club team and scoring in cameo appearences for the USMNT when he does play.

I think Klinsman plays his favorites, but when his job is finally on the line, plays a "safe lineup" as close as he could come to the World Cup lineup so it's not his fault when we lose. I don't know....

He's done some good things for us though... So I'm not sure if I'd fire him, but he frustrates me to no end. I'm biased because I still haven't forgiven him for leaving Donovan off the World Cup roster, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

vwg*

Nov 16, 2005
Krasnoyarsk
Beasley was terrible all game. Mexico played the ball on his side all game with no trouble. It was obvious they were targeting that side. Plus Besler getting beat badly a few times including that 1st goal and our whole left side defense was a disaster all game.

We have no possession midfield. Beckerman is useless other than breaking up play once in a while. Jones is still pretty good but clearly nursing an injury and could not make a big impact. I thought the obvious 3rd sub should have been Danny Williams on for Jones/Beckerman (Even before the 2nd goal...so happy Wondo didn't come on). Fabian Johnson must've been injured because that Evans sub made no sense.

Nothing seems to make sense these days. We know Klinsman hates Donovan..but Klinsman also seems to hate Juan Agudelo who is by far our most creative striker. Bewilders me how he continues to get no shot, even when scoring for his club team and scoring in cameo appearences for the USMNT when he does play.

I think Klinsman plays his favorites, but when his job is finally on the line, plays a "safe lineup" as close as he could come to the World Cup lineup so it's not his fault when we lose. I don't know....

He's done some good things for us though... So I'm not sure if I'd fire him, but he frustrates me to no end. I'm biased because I still haven't forgiven him for leaving Donovan off the World Cup roster, so take what I say with a grain of salt.
A manager who lets his grudges get in the way of selecting the best players is a bad manager. He should be fired for his stubbornness alone.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
There are a lot of things that Klinnsmann has done in his tenure that I like. I like how he challenges his players to strive to be better. I want this team to not be satisfied with only Gold cup victories. I like how he has been attracting dual-citizenship players. I like how he has won games in which we have never won before (i.e. win against Mexico in Azteca).

But at the end of the day, results matter. As Brock mentioned in the other thread, he has only met 2 of his goals. Winning the 2013 Gold Cup and getting out of the Group of Death. But we didn't qualify for the Confederations cup, got embarrassed in the Gold Cup this year, too much experimentation with the lineups, never holds himself accountable and deflects all of the blame elsewhere, placing players out of position and we probably aren't going to the Olympics next year. And I personally don't think there has been much progress over the past few years.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Some of you forget that Jurgen wanted to change the development of US Soccer at the younger levels and he's begun that. He gets what needs to be done to grow the US into a soccer power and that is going to take some time. Stop looking at the recent results and understand that US Soccer's development compared to other countries is horrible.

That said, whomever is responsible for making Mex vs US at the Rose Bowl should be fired.

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
Some of you forget that Jurgen wanted to change the development of US Soccer at the younger levels and he's begun that. He gets what needs to be done to grow the US into a soccer power and that is going to take some time. Stop looking at the recent results and understand that US Soccer's development compared to other countries is horrible.

That said, whomever is responsible for making Mex vs US at the Rose Bowl should be fired.

I don't think anyone is forgetting that. How long do we have to wait for Klinsmann's tenure to show any noticeable progress - four years isn't enough? How do we even know he's the guy to change the development of US Soccer at the younger levels considering how poor of a coach he is turning out to be? I think the problem is that he is rapidly being exposed as about a fraction as good of a coach as he was a player.

And it was CONCACAF who made the decision to play at the Rose Bowl. It wasn't like they were going to let the US play in Columbus.

Sep 19, 2008
His bosses are committed to him and he's not going anywhere until at least 2018. The only person's opinion that matters is the head of USA soccer and he has thrown support behind him again and again. Despite this firestorm he's still sticking around

I don't think anyone is forgetting that. How long do we have to wait for Klinsmann's tenure to show any noticeable progress - four years isn't enough? How do we even know he's the guy to change the development of US Soccer at the younger levels considering how poor of a coach he is turning out to be? I think the problem is that he is rapidly being exposed as about a fraction as good of a coach as he was a player.

And it was CONCACAF who made the decision to play at the Rose Bowl. It wasn't like they were going to let the US play in Columbus.

Posted Today, 09:25 AM
USA isn't looking elsewhere and from the Planet Futbol podcast Bradley was quoted as saying "If we lose Saturday we prepare for the World Cup qualifying in November and if we win Saturday we prepare for World Cup qualifying in November". I don't think we wanted to participate in the Confederations Cup. The best teams don't succeed in that and many of the best teams in the world don't even qualify (Spain / Germany) yet win the World Cup. Oddity.

That's not to say this loss hurt though because man we were all packed in the basement of the American Outlaws chapter bar in DC last night and everyone there was hooting and hollering and screaming when Wood tied it and then Bam everyone is deflated after MExico scored it was terrible :(

In the end it would have been nice to participate in that cup, as it is more practice, but I wouldn't be too pissed off that this team didn't make it. The Olympic games ,from the podcast, are more important and we have to focus on qualifying for that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->