U.S. National Team Part VII

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Bad gamble by Klinnsman to start with 3 in the back. Started the game with no cohesion which Mexico was able to take advantage of.

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
If all the home teams win their next match, we are 6pts out already.

So there's that.

Sep 19, 2008
They better win on Tuesday and they've never won in Costa Rica.

If there's any reason to believe, this team has been embarrassed before and responded with fire. But some of those events happened at home. This is going to be a tough road to climb back from but it's still 1 out of 10 games.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
These first two games were really tough. They will probably need 16 points points for third, about 13 for 4th and play Asia.

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
The only silver lining to a bad start is that 6 of the remaining 8 games are not against Mexico or Costa Rica...and the Costa Rica match is at home.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
They better win on Tuesday and they've never won in Costa Rica.

If there's any reason to believe, this team has been embarrassed before and responded with fire. But some of those events happened at home. This is going to be a tough road to climb back from but it's still 1 out of 10 games.

Theoretically they could come back from 0-2 but the pressure for months between games on the team and Klinsmann in general would be enormous. Those other times I don't think they had to sit on that kind of land mine for months, they got to play Guatemala again right away when they were at DEFCON 2 after the 2-0 loss.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
US don't really have a sub that can change the game. Obviously Deandre Yedlin wasn't some super-spark. There's nobody in the offensive positions who is good enough to replace someone already on the field late in games.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Theoretically they could come back from 0-2 but the pressure for months between games on the team and Klinsmann in general would be enormous. Those other times I don't think they had to sit on that kind of land mine for months, they got to play Guatemala again right away when they were at DEFCON 2 after the 2-0 loss.

They had to wait about a month and half last hex after losing to Honduras. There was some panic as they had Costa Rica at home and at Azteca, They beat Costa Rica in the snow and drew in Mexico. They cruised the rest of the way, but this is a different team. If they lose to Costa Rica (which I think are), it wont be a fun four months. They still could make it, but they would have to win at least 5 out 8 games (think they come in 4th if lose though).

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
US don't really have a sub that can change the game. Obviously Deandre Yedlin wasn't some super-spark. There's nobody in the offensive positions who is good enough to replace someone already on the field late in games.

Klejstan could've made a difference late in that game.
Morris is out but he's a nice attacking sub. And you can't forget Dempsey who I assume will be a super sub if he ever gets back

Of course, there's Landon Donovan ;)

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Klejstan could've made a difference late in that game.
Morris is out but he's a nice attacking sub. And you can't forget Dempsey who I assume will be a super sub if he ever gets back

Of course, there's Landon Donovan ;)
Well obviously JK didn't bring in Klejstan. Really besides a hat trick 7 years ago in a friendly against Sweden and a big game against St. Vincent and the Grenadines he hasn't been an amazing scorer for the MNT either.

Morris and Dempsey are out yes. And they will be out against Costa Rica. Donovan may not be back either, certainly not against Costa Rica. There's also the matter of player over position. Wood and Altidore were by far the best guys tonight. You don't generally take off the guys who've been doing the best, you take off guys who are not doing as well. Morris and Dempsey, add in Johansson, there's really no guarantee that's an upgrade even to the tired versions, given an inevitable disruption in chemistry.

Mexico was really helped by having a Hirving Lozano. I think having a player like him would've been somewhat helpful towards that end stretch.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
They had to wait about a month and half last hex after losing to Honduras. There was some panic as they had Costa Rica at home and at Azteca, They beat Costa Rica in the snow and drew in Mexico. They cruised the rest of the way, but this is a different team. If they lose to Costa Rica (which I think are), it wont be a fun four months. They still could make it, but they would have to win at least 5 out 8 games (think they come in 4th if lose though).

Question, since you think 4th is where we end up. Do you think the Tico's or Hondurus get better results than the US in the same games? IE Hosting Mexico and Hondo going to CR, CR coming to the US?

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Question, since you think 4th is where we end up. Do you think the Tico's or Hondurus get better results than the US in the same games? IE Hosting Mexico and Hondo going to CR, CR coming to the US?

I have no confidence in JK, so I definitely think Costa Rica will finish ahead. Id expect them to beat Mexico at home. I wouldnt expect Honduras to go into San Jose and win, and Costa Rica is always a tough game at home for the Americans. Ideally they win their other 4 games a find a way to win at T&T or Panama, that would probably be enough. Not sure they go 4-0 in their other home games with the way things have been going though. But it is too early to panic, even if they lose Tuesday. But if they dont have 3 points by the time the games in March are over, it is.

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
Mexico was 4th last time and that was ONLY because the US actually played to the 95th minute away in Panama.

If Mexico plays to their 1st/2nd (Hex position) capability, I think the usual nations at the bottom won't get points this time around that they got last time.

Of course, that means that we cannot play this Hex the way Mexico played last one.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California

Lynden Gooch could become that. He really has impressed me.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
At Sunderland? Well I like him in general but I haven't seen anything particularly impressive about his season the few times I watch to see Lamine. Maybe. Someone on ESPNFC suggested that and I can see that, maybe Chandler or Jones.

Didn't even think about Jones. He would be fantastic off the bench. He was a workhorse last game for Colorado but was definitely wearing down as the game went on. Have him come on in the last 30 minutes and let him do his crazy runs forward.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Jones is a starter. I meant maybe Gooch in for Jones or Chandler my bad.

Yeah I would still rather go back to the 442 until Dempsey comes back if he comes back.

Altidore-Wood/Morris
Pulisic-Kljestan/Feilhaber(please)-Bradley-Bedoya
Johnson-Brooks-Cameron-Yedlin

Bring Jones and Gooch on when we are chasing the game for Bedoya and Kljestan.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Is this game not broadcast anywhere?? Not seeing it in any listings.

Its on Bein Sports, which isn't available to many cable providers. You can watch the game on the Go90 app though or live stream it in spanish on NBC Universo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad