U.S. Beats Finland at Four Nations U-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Finland was missing four skaters (Maunula,Huhtala,Enlund and Milonen) because they were sick. The US team was missing two skaters (Mueller and Lawrence) because of fighting in the game against Sweden.

I read a first hand account of this game on another board and apparently the US team totally dominated.

A Good Flying Bird*

cagney said:
Finland was missing four skaters (Maunula,Huhtala,Enlund and Milonen) because they were sick. The US team was missing two skaters (Mueller and Lawrence) because of fighting in the game against Sweden.

I read a first hand account of this game on another board and apparently the US team totally dominated.

I've watched every game but the Finland-USA game. The USA dominated Sweden in every possible way. They did the same the Swiss, who made the score respectable somehow but still got vastly outplayed.
I know the Finns best goalie and defenseman are playing elsewhere, and I know the Swedes are without their best 3 players, but I'm amazed at just how much better the US is.
And Jack Johnson is the real deal.
I think Jack Skille could also be a mid-first rounder when all is said and done.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
How were Stoa and Mueller in the games you saw? One of McKeens writers says that Stoa isn't far off from Bobby Ryan in ability which came as a surprise to me. I also saw a poster I respect on another board say that a scout told him Stoa was the second best '87 born forward on the team (after Kessel). Mueller is also doing some pretty incredible things so far this year. He's averaging over a point per game against NCAA Div.1 competition as a 16 year old.

I'm also curious about Jeff Frazee. I assume he wasn't seriously challenged in the game you saw but were you able to get any read on him?

Finally, I'm curious to hear more about d-man Mark Mitera. He seems to have all the things NHL scouts look for in a defensemen.

Thanks.

Last edited:

X-SHARKIE

cagney said:
How were Stoa and Mueller in the games you saw? One of McKeens writers says that Stoa isn't far off from Bobby Ryan in ability which came as a surprise to me. I also saw a poster I respect on another board say that a scout told him Stoa was the second best player on the team. Mueller is also doing some pretty incredible things so far this year. He's averaging over a point per game against NCAA Div.1 competition as a 16 year old.

I'm also curious about Jeff Frazee. I assume he wasn't seriously challenged in the game you saw but were you able to get any read on him?

Finally, I'm curious to hear more about d-man Mark Mitera. He seems to have all the things NHL scouts look for in a defensemen.

Thanks.

Stoa was very impressive in a game vs Harvard. Although Ryan is one of the better players eligible for this draft so I don't know if he's in Ryans class yet.

A Good Flying Bird*

cagney said:
How were Stoa and Mueller in the games you saw? One of McKeens writers says that Stoa isn't far off from Bobby Ryan in ability which came as a surprise to me. I also saw a poster I respect on another board say that a scout told him Stoa was the second best '87 born forward on the team (after Kessel). Mueller is also doing some pretty incredible things so far this year. He's averaging over a point per game against NCAA Div.1 competition as a 16 year old.

Mueller was very good. Good speed. some terrific stickhandling. He doesn't stand out like Stoa and Skille because he doesn't deliver those huge hits.
Most people seem to rate Stoa ahead of Skille. Stoa is a better passer and a little bigger. But Skille has a whacko wrist shot and he
s a strong skater who is hard to knock off the puck. Skille is also more likely to look for the big hit.

cagney said:

Frazee, who will play for Minnesota next year, had a phenomenal game to end the tourney, stopping 24 shots in a 1-0 shutout over Sweden. Including some very good saves from close in. It was the only game in which he was tested, and he responded in fine form, making the easy saves look easy and stopping the hard ones.

cagney said:

I had a tough time getting a read on the defensemen. USA often played with seven and even eight defensemen in the lineup.
Mitera, unlike Johnson, doesn't force you to pay attention with his crazy mid-ice hits. He didn't make any glaring errors. He did like to jump in the play and he skates pretty nicely for a big guy. He's physical and finishes checks. But he doesn't really hammer guys like some of the other USA defensemen.
He's 2006 draft, right?

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Hab Fan

Nov 2, 2004
US played 8 D most of the game untill crunch time, then they had Johnson out every other shift. During the game they had him matched against Swedens best forward. Another terrific game by Johnson, who will definately climb in the rankings. Frazee was fantastic. He has always been the best 87 goalie in the country (US).

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Hab Fan said:
He completely dominated!!!! 1 goal and 3 assists and his usual 25 hits. He has a presence on the ice few have. This kid is specia!

What pro would you compare him to?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Newsguyone said:

He's probably thinking of Brian Leetch, although from what I can tell, Johnson is MUCH more physically involved. Rob Blake sounds like a better comparision, although Johnson isn't as big.

Hab Fan

Nov 2, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:
What pro would you compare him to?
Ken Holland was quoted " he is the perfect combination of Konstantinov and Lidstrom". Much more physical than Leetch. Would be a GREAT pick for NY. The marketing possibilities are as great as his play. Maybe Montreal can trade up?

Slangston

Buffalo Sabres
Apr 3, 2003
Western New York
Hab Fan said:
Ken Holland was quoted " he is the perfect combination of Konstantinov and Lidstrom". Much more physical than Leetch. Would be a GREAT pick for NY. The marketing possibilities are as great as his play. Maybe Montreal can trade up?

Personally I'd throw up if Johnson (Crosby as well) went to the Rangers. For my own selfish reasons I'd like to see him in a Sabres sweater. This organization has been without a true number 1 defenseman for as long as I can remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad