U of Illinois to decide on Hockey/Arena.... eventually

razor ray

May 8, 2011
The proposed plan is a new $50 million arena with 3 sheets of ice in Champaign, Illinois. The key is Illinois’s has to go Division 1 in hockey to be the anchor tenant. Here is the update (as of 2/15) on Illinois progress to go D1:

And the details from a previous article on the development plans for the arena:

A new arena in downtown Champaign?

With the success of the Blackhawks in the last decade or so....hockey is buzzing in Illinois.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Another sport UI can be terrible in!

All kidding aside, this would be great for the school and great for Big Ten hockey. To many good players coming out of Illinois to not have a D1 program in the state. It would be bad news for Wisconsin and ND, both have had a strong grip on recruiting Illinois born players.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Another sport UI can be terrible in!

All kidding aside, this would be great for the school and great for Big Ten hockey. To many good players coming out of Illinois to not have a D1 program in the state. It would be bad news for Wisconsin and ND, both have had a strong grip on recruiting Illinois born players.
They are a lot closer to Chicagoland too. Think UI is closer to St.Louis than Chicago:

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
They are a lot closer to Chicagoland too. Think UI is closer to St.Louis than Chicago:

Champaign is about equal distance between Chicago and St. Louis, it's actually a little bit closer to Chicago than Madison is. But all three places (Champaign, Madison, South Bend) are easily drivable for any recruits from Chicagoland area.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Compared to basketball and football, hockey has less competition for recruits, so if a Chicago kid wants to stay in state it should theoretically be a more attractive proposition in hockey than in other money sports. Wisconsin, Minnesota, Notre Dame, and the Michigan schools will always be local options, but can't downplay the Chicago-to-Urbana pipeline that very much exists from a population and media standpoint. Couple that with the almost assured possibility that at least one Illini game a year will be in Chicago plus a natural partner to host tournaments (random specials, playoff rounds, and the Frozen Four), and I think that there would be a lot more interest for a Chicago kid to stay in state for hockey than in other sports as of late.

My avatar gives this away, I'm an Illini fan. We've been essentially waiting for Illinois to jump up to varsity hockey for easily over a decade, back when there were rumors that the university was trying to land a mega donation from Jimmy John that never went anywhere.

And the fan interest in hockey since the Hawks golden era should be alive and well provided that they don't overprice their product.

Last edited:

razor ray

May 8, 2011
Compared to basketball and football, hockey has less competition for recruits, so if a Chicago kid wants to stay in state it should theoretically be a more attractive proposition in hockey than in other money sports. Wisconsin, Minnesota, Notre Dame, and the Michigan schools will always be local options, but can't downplay the Chicago-to-Urbana pipeline that very much exists from a population and media standpoint. Couple that with the almost assured possibility that at least one Illini game a year will be in Chicago plus a natural partner to host tournaments (random specials, playoff rounds, and the Frozen Four), and I think that there would be a lot more interest for a Chicago kid to stay in state for hockey than in other sports as of late.

My avatar gives this away, I'm an Illini fan. We've been essentially waiting for Illinois to jump up to varsity hockey for easily over a decade, back when there were rumors that the university was trying to land a mega donation from Jimmy John hat never went anywhere.

And the fan interest in hockey since the Hawks golden era should be alive and well provided that they don't overprice their product.

I talked with a few people who said the Jimmy Johns dontation was all fiction. Just someone trying to manufacture news.

One crazy thing to consider is women’s volleyball is the 3rd highest attended sport at Illinois. Their success (top 10 program) is helping to push for hockey because it’s going to be a shared arena. The current facilty for volleyball is super dated.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Yeah, Jimmy John always felt like a pie in the sky wish, but it was a pretty widespread rumor for at least a few years.

razor ray

May 8, 2011
Sounds good, Illinois seems like a good hockey market, a college team could be popular in that area.

Yes and the way Illinois is going about their business seems prudent. They first worked with College Hockey Inc. as well as the NHL/Blackhawks. They also are working with the entire Ath Dept and community so everyone is “on the same page” if you will.

Another factor is the Big 10 having a conference now makes it an easy transition. Factor in the exposure of the Big 10 Network, ESPN, and games on NBCSN @ND as well. Plus the last kicker is the success of the Blackhawks and the hockey interest is now higher than ever.

Put all that together and it seems like the right time to make it happen.

Last edited:

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Illinois has talked off and on about a new hockey arena and making it a D1 sport off and on for 30 years now. When Penn State launched its program and the B1G Conference picked up hockey as a sport, it was hot talk for about 12 minutes.

I mean, if it happens great, but I think @Herby has it more correct than he realizes. The sports Illinois is legitimately good in are women's volleyball, men's golf, men's and (probably) women's gymnastics, and perhaps like men's tennis. The big name sports have has money poured into them and chronically underachieved; it would not be a shock if hockey went the same path.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Wait, I am more confused on the arena situation. Would Illini play at this facility or would they build their own on campus? And would the ice rinks be an actual arena for the team and not some sort of Oceanside rink that Arizona State plays in?

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Wait, I am more confused on the arena situation. Would Illini play at this facility or would they build their own on campus? And would the ice rinks be an actual arena for the team and not some sort of Oceanside rink that Arizona State plays in?

They'd build a new arena likely near the Amtrak station by downtown Champaign, and the Illini almost assuredly wouldn't jump to the varsity level until that's ready. The current Big Pond isn't remotely big enough for a varsity team. Just a fun club venue.

Reactions: S E P H

razor ray

May 8, 2011
The latest update from Illinois Athletic Director Josh Whitman:

“The same thing as the early hurdles. It’s all about cash. We’ve got to find some money. I think we’ve got a good plan in place. We’ve had a lot of strategic partners step up here the last few months. Again, I’ll use the same term I have with you a couple times in the past, feeling increasingly confident. I think we’re continuing to move the ball forward. We’re getting closer to being in a position to officially green-light it, but we’re not quite there yet. We’ve got a few final partners who I think need to fall into place, a couple last pieces to the puzzle. It’s a big, complicated challenging puzzle…”

Whitman Q&A: 'In that window now where we can expect success'

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
The latest update from Illinois Athletic Director Josh Whitman:

“The same thing as the early hurdles. It’s all about cash. We’ve got to find some money. I think we’ve got a good plan in place. We’ve had a lot of strategic partners step up here the last few months. Again, I’ll use the same term I have with you a couple times in the past, feeling increasingly confident. I think we’re continuing to move the ball forward. We’re getting closer to being in a position to officially green-light it, but we’re not quite there yet. We’ve got a few final partners who I think need to fall into place, a couple last pieces to the puzzle. It’s a big, complicated challenging puzzle…”

Whitman Q&A: 'In that window now where we can expect success'
Stop paying bums like Smith to coach a sport you are not even good at and put that money to a better use.

Reactions: Mud the ACAS

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
It's not a zero sum game. Boosters that contribute to the football team aren't necessarily the same donors that'd fork over money for a hockey team/arena.
How rich is Illi's alumni? Hockey is regional, but it seems that the state of Illinois should have enough alumni to fund a D1 team due to the culture of hockey in the state and how successive the Blackhawks have been in the past decade.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
How rich is Illi's alumni? Hockey is regional, but it seems that the state of Illinois should have enough alumni to fund a D1 team due to the culture of hockey in the state and how successive the Blackhawks have been in the past decade.

Decently wealthy. Major engineering, business, law, and biomedical school with a huge reach. There's a lot of money there.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Off-topic, but in nearby Bloomington, the USHL's Central Illinois Flying Aces are playing their final game this Saturday. Hockey never took off in that area (and the market bounced through several leagues), and it's only 55 miles from the University of Illinois. Building a new arena on campus will be a commitment and while Illinois has had some success on the ACHA level (not to mention automatic entry into the Big Ten Hockey Conference if they do build this venue and make the jump), will there be interest in the program long-term?

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Off-topic, but in nearby Bloomington, the USHL's Central Illinois Flying Aces are playing their final game this Saturday. Hockey never took off in that area (and the market bounced through several leagues), and it's only 55 miles from the University of Illinois. Building a new arena on campus will be a commitment and while Illinois has had some success on the ACHA level (not to mention automatic entry into the Big Ten Hockey Conference if they do build this venue and make the jump), will there be interest in the program long-term?

If they do it right then there's no reason why it shouldn't. Use Penn State as an example. Hockey was virtually unknown there before. A good club team in a crummy on-campus rink that didn't draw many people until Daddy Pegula gave them north of $80 million. Now, they're the second most popular team on campus and have been sold out for the last few seasons with more than 5,700 butts in seats each night. It's reputably one of the most sought after and difficult to find tickets, for both students and townies alike. It fills up empty air time on the lucrative B10 Network. They have a total profit of more than $3million as of last year. (*Borat voice*) Great success. Both on and off the ice.

U of I has a pretty good template to work with, complete with instant rivalries and in-state talent to work with from Chicagoland. TV deal is there, too, along with built in interest in the team. It's easier said than done, but they can do it.

Reactions: ecemleafs

NoDak

Feb 15, 2017
Unrelated to Illinois, but it looks lik the Twin Cities is getting another DI team in a couple years.

St Thomas will likely be evicted by their DIII conference the MIAC and may be forced to move up Divisions.

MIAC rivals plot ouster of St. Thomas

St Thomas owns a rink that they use for DIII that only has one side for seating - 1400 - and if the more than double seating that would suffice. DII doesn’t have hockey so they would be forced to DI.

St Thomas used to be in the old North Central Conference with the Dakotas and Creighton, so they are one of the MIAC schools that have played at a higher level. Recently, the campus has been building more dorms and adding majors and it is close to the new MLS stadium, so their admin appears to have bigger athletic plans.

St Thomas has been written about be previous MSP sportwriters that it should be MSP’s Marquette twenty years ago. Maybe that finally happen.

Minnesota now has five DI hockey schools while Massachusetts has 11. What’s one more?

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois

As a Champaign-Urbana native and a current Bloomington-Normal resident, i think that this is a slightly misguided take. It's not that hockey never really took of in B-N, but that non-Illinois State sports never took off. The Normal Cornbelters have likewise been experiencing years of attendance issues (though their horrible traffic clogs leaving the stadium are enough to keep people away as well), but Illinois State athletics continue to draw well and have a passionate fanbase.

I think that Champaign-Urbana would be the same way. If some random minor league or junior team set up shop, they'd be at a decided disadvantage compared to the Illini and have a hard time really establishing a footprint. I think it's unquestionable that an ECHL or USHL team in Champaign would start off in a significantly weaker position compared to an actual varsity team just as if Illinois State ever started a varsity hockey team they'd invariably have a permanent boost over the Thunder/Aces minor/junior predecessors.

C-U and B-N are both college towns and mostly leave the pro sports aspect to rooting for Chicago or St. Louis. Adding another money sport to the U of I would almost guaranteed be a permanent draw imho.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad