GDT: U-20 WJC

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Honestly his ability to score highlight-reel goals from the high danger areas reminds me of prime Giordano. It'd be great if he could develop the same sort of defensive awareness.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Honestly his ability to score highlight-reel goals from the high danger areas reminds me of prime Giordano. It'd be great if he could develop the same sort of defensive awareness.

I also see the Gio comparisons for sure. I just think with his size, skating, poise and offensive ability, he looks like a Hedman. Although I never expect him to get to that level, but I do think a Hampus Lindholm caliber player is possible.

Reactions: Cyrano

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I also see the Gio comparisons for sure. I just think with his size, skating, poise and offensive ability, he looks like a Hedman. Although I never expect him to get to that level, but I do think a Hampus Lindholm caliber player is possible.

Hedman comparisons are pretty apt too, I think I remember hearing him mention in post-draft interviews that he modeled his game on Hedman's? Valimaki is an awesome prospect for sure, he's gradually become my favourite over the season thus far.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
MotM, I’m curious, often in his own end Valimaki plays a very steady and calm game. I think this can come across as being conservative, is that why you think he’s more defensive? I just think that when I see him get the puck, he becomes very dynamic.

I think there is just some confusion with what I actually mean. When I say he’s got the tools and style to be a “modern shutdown defenceman”, I mean a guy who has all the tools the typical offensive defenceman has, yet is capable of matching up against tough competition and still driving offence. To go off your comparison the player I’m describing when I throw around that term is a Hedman or Doughty type player.

This isn’t the “traditional” shutdown guy we saw years ago (think Regehr type).

In contrast I think guys like Doughty and Hedman rely more on their skating and puck moving ability to shutdown opposing offences (the best defence is a good offence approach), but have the physical tools and ability to play effectively in the defensive zone when needed.

Doughty, for example, is an elite puckmoving guy (both with his feet and a first pass out), and uses his mind, body and stick to defend very well.

When I see Valimaki play I see a player who is more than capable of using his skating to evade attackers and skate the puck up ice. I see a guy who knows how to use his body defensively and generally understands his positioning in his own end. Where the growth needs to come is with his first pass (he’s definitely shown flashes) being quicker and a bit better with his stick defensively.

If he can improve those things I don’t see why he can’t be a poor mans Hedman (who I see as a good example of a modern shutdown defenceman).

I don’t think Valimaki is strictly a defensive guy, there’s certainly some offence there too.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
@MonyontheMoney , I agree with all of that for sure. I’ve always enjoyed reading your scouting obversations so I was curious as to why you labelled him that way.

I do think Valimaki made mistakes for sure, but I think they’re the mistakes you’re okay with him making. It’s not the NHL and he’s really trying to dominate on the ice so sometimes he’s gotten himself into trouble by being caught of position or making the wrong read. But I also remember Brodie having all those same issues early on and they got corrected very quickly because of his IQ. I think Valimaki is the best defensive prospect we’ve drafted since Dion. I really like him.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I know with these junior teams things can change from game to game but these two teams (Russia/US) look terrible tonight.

They definitely look to be a level below Sweden and Canada, and probably the Czechs and Finns as well.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Fox just got walked again

I'd like him in Stockton sooner rather than later to be honest. Tons of potential there, still a ways to go in his development. The offensive pieces are there though, so is the skating.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
On a different note, for some reason Ruzicka was benched for the entirety of the 2nd half of the Slovakia/Sweden game. He didn't commit any egregious mistakes and didn't appear to suffer an injury.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
On a different note, for some reason Ruzicka was benched for the entirety of the 2nd half of the Slovakia/Sweden game. He didn't commit any egregious mistakes and didn't appear to suffer an injury.

He has looked very lazy and disinterested in the games that I have seen from him so far this tournament. I didn't watch much of the Sweden game but based on his "effort" earlier in the tournament I can't say I am surprised to hear this.

My guess is that it was attitude more than injury or big mistake.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
He has looked very lazy and disinterested in the games that I have seen from him so far this tournament. I didn't watch much of the Sweden game but based on his "effort" earlier in the tournament I can't say I am surprised to hear this.

My guess is that it was attitude more than injury or big mistake.

He was brutal in his first game against Canada but excellent in his following 2 games against USA and Finland.

Didn't watch the Denmark or Sweden game though

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
I'd like him in Stockton sooner rather than later to be honest. Tons of potential there, still a ways to go in his development. The offensive pieces are there though, so is the skating.
Fox will likely finish his degree before going pro. Ivy league schools like Harvard are not as lenient as other schools on letting athletes leave early and return to finish their degrees on their own timetables.

Aug 3, 2010
As for the remainder of the tournament, I think it'll play out in two scenarios:

Canada beats Czechs.
USA beats Sweden.
Canada beats USA, Sweden takes bronze.

Canada beats Czechs.
Sweden beats USA, then Canada for gold.
USA takes bronze.

I really like Sweden's overall depth and think their system can exploit Canada's spotty defence this year.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Thought Lindstrom looked really good. Didn’t watch that side of the tourney much but he was really good in the final.

Dube had a great final. Kinda reminds me of Frolik. Does everything well. Exceptional skater. Not going to be a huge point producer IMO but still a very good 3C/LW

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Nothing wrong with what he did. You play to win and at the end of the day I think it shows character on his part. 2nd place is unacceptable for him. And if we're being honest, this is a meaningless tournament anyway. Not like it's the Olympics

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Being a poor sport is not having a good attitude, it just shows you’re baby. You use the hurt as fuel to get better. What he did was embarrassing to his county and the entire tournament. There’s nothing to like about it.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
Nothing wrong with what he did. You play to win and at the end of the day I think it shows character on his part. 2nd place is unacceptable for him. And if we're being honest, this is a meaningless tournament anyway. Not like it's the Olympics

It's a meaningless tournament? It's a meaningless tournament that every kid dreams of playing in growing up. It's not like the Olympics where you can wait every 4 years to try and make the team. It's a tournament that most Canadian kids get only 1 opportunity to play in. 2 if you're super lucky.

So much wrong calling it a meaningless tournament

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
For the few people who were complaining about Valimaki's performance despite him having a very good tournament for the most part...

#Flames prospect Juuso Vailimaki was playing through injury at the world juniors. Was in Calgary this week to be examined, not major but likely off a couple of weeks.
— Wes Gilbertson (@WesGilbertson) January 6, 2018

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->