Tyutin or Komisarek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garp

Jul 5, 2004
Here
There is already a thread on tyutin vs Pitkanen, but i would like to know your thoughts about this one. Tyutin and Komisarek have played a few games in the NHL and they have huge upsides.

What dou you think? :dunno:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Garp said:
There is already a thread on tyutin vs Pitkanen, but i would like to know your thoughts about this one. Tyutin and Komisarek have played a few games in the NHL and they have huge upsides.

What dou you think? :dunno:

Depends on what you need. Komisarek had an impressive offensive game at Michigan and Hamilton, but it's tough to say if his offensive game will translate in the NHL. He should get major minutes with the Habs next year if he plays like he did in the playoffs.

Tyutin should have lots of room to develop in ny, and has a ton of skill. I'd be happy to have either player, but the Habs need Komisarek a lot more then they need Tyutin.

db23

When each was a 20 year old rookie in the AHL, Komisarek averaged .56 points per game, Tyutin averaged .33, so I would think that Komo's offensive potential is at least equal. Mike has the advantage in every other category. Size, toughness, leadership, and probably defence. He is a year older than Tyutin, but the Russian has been playing the game a few years longer at a higher level of competition so I think that Komisarek probably has a lot more upside as well. Tyutin will probably get the jump early because he has been playing as a pro since he was 17 and the Rangers have stripped their rostor of veterans. Komo would be the choice in the long run.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Komi does have more potential to be the better rounded d-man. One that can be punishing and a rock. I think Tjutin will be a Jason Smith-esque player. Plays tough, other teams hate him, his team loves him. Although Tjutin does have some nice upside as well and I do think he gets overlooked.

db23

Komisarek is unique, so it is hard to compare him to other defensive prospects. He will play at over 250 pounds with little or no body fat. There are other 250 pound defencemen in the league, but none with the mobility and hands that Mike has. You don't get a sense of how good he can be until you see him do the odd move with the puck that is worthy of Mike Ribeiro. Or a J.C.Trembley style flip pass from his own zone that lands on a streaking forwards stick. It doesn't happen often because the Habs have guys like Brisebois, Markov, Souray, Bouillon who like to move the puck so Komisarek is expected to use his size in front of his own net when he is out there.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
tjutin isn't as big as komisarek obviously but seriously don't underrate his skill...i honestly say i don't know a ton about komisarek in terms of what he can do other than he's huge and is said to have good skills, so i guess i can't say for sure. as a ranger fan, i love what tjutin brings and what he can be...and i seriously think he is gonna be a guy who plays a lot better in the NHL than he did in the AHL, i think he needs the additional challenge, and russians don't seem too fond of the AHL as it is, so i'm not sure it's all too easy to compare AHL careers

and call me a homer but after watching tjutin in the NHL, i'm 100% sure he's gonna be a hell of a player...i don't think he's gonna flop or not fulfill at least the majority of his potential.

db23

If you're a Ranger fan, I can tell you that both Komisarek and Josef Balej were rookies with the Hamilton Bulldogs two years ago. Both were 20 years old, and both played in 56 games with the Dogs that year. Komo had 30 points and Balej had 20.

turnbuckle*

db23 said:
Komisarek is unique, so it is hard to compare him to other defensive prospects. He will play at over 250 pounds with little or no body fat. There are other 250 pound defencemen in the league, but none with the mobility and hands that Mike has. You don't get a sense of how good he can be until you see him do the odd move with the puck that is worthy of Mike Ribeiro. Or a J.C.Trembley style flip pass from his own zone that lands on a streaking forwards stick. It doesn't happen often because the Habs have guys like Brisebois, Markov, Souray, Bouillon who like to move the puck so Komisarek is expected to use his size in front of his own net when he is out there.

Do you ever take your nose out of a stats book and ponder reality? Komo weighs less now than he did when he was drafted (stop right now - you can't look it up). Ever seen a pic of him in his draft year? Big round face; still had baby fat. He has toned his body in the past two seasons, and doesn't weigh any more than 225-230 from any reports I've seen.

db23

Komisarek was 255 at the draft. Canadiens told him to cut his weight. He came to camp at 240 in tip top condition. That is still his listed weight, but that was when he was 20. Most prospects add about 15 or 20 pounds of muscle before they mature fully. I'll be that Komisarek is close to if not more than 250 now. Even in top condition.

I guess you don't consider his listed size at Canadiens official website, NHL website, TSN or Forecaster to be a "report". 6-4 240. Open your eyes.

Last edited by a moderator:

db23

iamcaper said:
Both players bring a lot to the table but I would have to put my money on Tjutin. He can bring a few more intangibles to the table than Komisarek. That's not a knock on Komisarek, it's more of a praise thing for Tjutin.
What are those "intangibles"?

iamcaper

db23 said:
What are those "intangibles"?

Leadership for one. From what I've seen of both Tjutin shows the makings of a better leader than Komisarek. While both are solid offensively, Tjutin seems to be further ahead in his defensive development, he can read defensive plays better than Komisarek. These are my opinions and I doubt that everybody will agree with me, it's just based on what I see.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
It's very difficult to say at this point.

Komisarek has enormous size obviously, and that should be a huge asset to him, but I've found Tjutin to be a little more skilled in the very limited times I've seen the two of them play.

Stats be damned, they're an indicator at best, not a be all and end all.

Either way, at this point, both look to be solid prospects with a pretty decent NHL future.

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
turnbuckle said:
Komo weighs less now than he did when he was drafted (stop right now - you can't look it up).

Well, just to point out that you can: http://www.nhl.com/futures/2001draft/round1.html

He's listed at 225 there. That's pretty much what I remember most publications listing as his weight at the 2001 draft.

Most listings you see now show he's about 237. While you can't be sure either are 100% accurate, I don't know where in the hell you get that he weighs less now than when he was drafted.

db23

Postman said:
Well, just to point out that you can: http://www.nhl.com/futures/2001draft/round1.html

He's listed at 225 there. That's pretty much what I remember most publications listing as his weight at the 2001 draft.

Most listings you see now show he's about 237. While you can't be sure either are 100% accurate, I don't know where in the hell you get that he weighs less now than when he was drafted.
That weight was from the IIHF listings when Mike played on the U.S. NDTP team. He was listed at 194 cm 104 kg back in 1999. At the U. of M. he played at 243 pounds the year he was drafted. At the draft he was up to 255 as I mentioned, and cut back to 240 for training camp. I think he will finally play at around 250 pounds. His defence mates Quintal and Souray were both around 230 pounds, and you only have to look at him next to them on the ice to see that he is considerably bigger.

Unknownbutfamous

Apr 11, 2004
db23 said:
If you're a Ranger fan, I can tell you that both Komisarek and Josef Balej were rookies with the Hamilton Bulldogs two years ago. Both were 20 years old, and both played in 56 games with the Dogs that year. Komo had 30 points and Balej had 20.

Your arguement in invalid but the next year Balej averaged over a point a game, while Komisarek averaged .5 points a game.

Id take Tyutin!

db23

Unknownbutfamous said:
Your arguement in invalid but the next year Balej averaged over a point a game, while Komisarek averaged .5 points a game.

Id take Tyutin!
Komisarek was in the NHL the next year.

ftyutin51

Jul 2, 2004
Huntington Bay, NY
I like Tyutin 'cause he plays a nice solid, and simple game. He has good enough offensive skills, and still manages to protect his goalie. He has a good vision for the ice and those passes he makes to his teamates. While he's not as big as Komisarek, he can still lay a hit and defends. Tyutin, IMO, will be a #1-2 defensemen in the future.. given that he has developed properly, and has ice time.

Komisarek, from what I know, is very big, "mean", "get in your-face" type of guy. He has good hands to create some offensive stir, and defensive awareness (don't know if the last two words made sense..) in his head. Komisarek, if he reaches his full potential, can turn out the next "Zdeno Chara". Komisarek, IMO, will be a #1-3 defensmen in the future.

db23

Chara is a standard comparison for big defencemen. Komisarek isn't nearly as big nor as physical, but has better body control and puck skills than Chara 5 years ago.
Komisarek has never been like Valabik from this year's draft. He always plays a fairly controlled game. That is his drawback to the Habs coachs I think. They would like to see Komisarek be a lot more physical.

BLACKBURN

Feb 17, 2003
London
Visit site
If I was NY GM and Montreal offered me Komisarek for Tjutin I would decline. In my opinion it's that simple. Im sure other's would disagree, but to me Tjutin has more potential and is going to be HUGE for the NYR for years to come.

db23

Fortunately we won't have to worry about any of those eventualities. The chances of Montreal offering Komisarek for Tyutin are about the same as you becoming the G.M. in N.Y.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad