Prospect Info: Tyson Jugnauth (Round 4, Pick #100, 2022 draft)

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Excerpt from Elite Prospects:

Like many Junior A players, Tyson Jugnauth plays the game at a slower pace. The difference with him is that the West Kelowna Warriors defenceman didn’t adapt this style of play to facilitate his reads. He uses it as a playmaking tool.

Jugnauth understands the details that go into a successful creation game. He knows how to adopt a deceptive position to keep defenders guessing about his next choice of play. He knows how to manipulate pace, how to accelerate and slow down to force them to adjust their footwork, and he knows how to feint with his eyes, body, and stick positioning. These abilities gave Jugnauth a command over the ice in the BCHL. He didn’t need to outspeed opponents as he could move them out of passing and shooting lanes with his tricks.

His playmaking game not only shines in the offensive zone, but also in transition. Jugnauth constantly looks to move the puck inside the most space. He looks to expand his team’s offensive sequences with longer cross-ice and stretch passes with a relatively high success rate.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Undersized defenseman from Junior A? Sounds like a case of FOMO, usually these are 6 or 7th rounders.

The only pick I didn't like.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Undersized defenseman from Junior A? Sounds like a case of FOMO, usually these are 6 or 7th rounders.

The only pick I didn't like.

He's a really good player, BCHL defenceman of the year. At pick 100 you're almost certainly drafting a bust, but this kid has very high upside.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
From our draft guide:
McKeen's 2022 NHL Draft Guide - Jugnauth is a slick skating, Wisconsin recruit who is a very effective puck mover. He uses linear crossovers well when leading transitional attacks, allowing him to disguise his intentions as he cuts through the neutral zone. When you combine that with his quick hands, it makes Jugnauth very effective at gaining the offensive zone. His ability to miss sticks and use subtle cuts/fakes also proves to be effective inside the offensive zone as he holds the line well and is able to break down zone coverage as a point man. More agile than explosive, Jugnauth could be aided by a little more explosiveness in his stride, but his four-way movement is pretty effortless overall. Jugnauth also is a creative problem solver in the defensive end who makes up for a lack of strength/reach by taking great routes to loose pucks and incorporating shoulder checks to help him execute the breakout cleanly. Defensively, he is a fairly passive stick checker, but his positioning is generally pretty solid, and he anticipates passing lanes well, pointing to an overall solid on ice intelligence. He’s not likely to ever be more than average in his own end, but with added strength, he may be able to do a better job of consistently winning those 50/50 battles in traffic areas and not getting manhandled near the crease. Operating near the point per game mark nearly all season in the BCHL, this former first round WHL bantam selection definitely has the potential to develop into a capable puck mover at the next level. - BO

Closer look at his game for subscribers:

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
We'll be able to see him in person, so yay. As a matter of fact, if he's on the roster in Portland by next Wednesday, I'll be able to see him live since I actually have tickets for the game that night. extra yay.
Yeah. And if you can see if we can get some more feedback too so we all win .. :)

I do wonder why he switched. Want more playing time?

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
switched from college to the WHL. how do we like that?
I'm not a big proponent of switching from College to Juniors in the 2nd year!Would have rather see him go back to BC Junior then switch colleges and play another 2 years afterwards...so next year he'll be fighting for a spot on the Firebirds roster...don't like his chances

Wasn’t cut out for “academia”?
Academia? As an athlete is there such a thing really...ask Dexter Manley about College Sports and Academia...

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I'm not a big proponent of switching from College to Juniors in the 2nd year!Would have rather see him go back to BC Junior then switch colleges and play another 2 years afterwards...so next year he'll be fighting for a spot on the Firebirds roster...don't like his chances

Academia? As an athlete is there such a thing really...ask Dexter Manley about College Sports and Academia...

It was a joke

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
It was a joke
Alright...sad state of Sports when everything is about the Product and when 98% of these athlete's are done they will have "nothing" to show for it! In Canada the "Athlete's" will go to University and become bozo PE teachers and continue the "model"

Johnny Danger

Jul 7, 2002
Suisse
Visit site
wow, one goal ans 8 assists in his first 8 games. if he keeps the pace, his scoring rate (ppg) would be among the best in the league.

beside the stats: how is he doing?

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
We should talk more about this kid, as it looks like he's got potential to be a contributor at the next level.

I haven't attended as many Winterhawks games this year as I used to, but they are an offensive powerhouse and he is always involved. Had a PPG season in ~40 games after joining them (sounds like he left for the W to get more minutes?) and absolutely tormented the Silvertips in a rd 2 sweep for eight points in four games. He uses these slippery little moves in the o-zone to get deeper and connect with the shooter.

He's not a crease-clearer or particularly physical, but he doesn't look like a liability in his end either thanks to taking good angles and having generally good positioning.

You have to love it when a fourth-rounder shows they may make the big team someday.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad