Tyson Jost

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I'm not sure he even will settle into a lower line role. The guy just doesn't have it.

He doesn't really have the play style to be a bottom 6'er. I mean he could be a solid 3c, but he'd have to improve a ton on the defensive side since he provides very little offensive punch. As far as a 4th line role he isn't big enough or fast enough to be put on an energy line. And this here is his issue, what role can he play on an NHL roster? 3c is his best shot, but it would have to be on a bigger team with wingers that can provide him space.

Reactions: Pokecheque

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
He doesn't really have the play style to be a bottom 6'er. I mean he could be a solid 3c, but he'd have to improve a ton on the defensive side since he provides very little offensive punch. As far as a 4th line role he isn't big enough or fast enough to be put on an energy line. And this here is his issue, what role can he play on an NHL roster? 3c is his best shot, but it would have to be on a bigger team with wingers that can provide him space.
And he actually has to win more than 1 face-off a game.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
All of this is debatable.

When I see him play I see him take low percentage shots that either go wide and come out of the zone or get deflected into the screen. If he doesn't shoot the puck usually gets tangled and lost in the other teams players that are back. He clearly can't make decisions fast enough in the NHL to make a play other than whatever is immediately in front of him. This usually leads to a turn over or a wasted possession.

He's not useless but he's not really useful either. At least on the Avs. I think he either gets traded and tried elsewhere, or rides out the year and gets a 1 year deal somewhere before landing in Europe.

These are things that relate to how he's creating offense right now though, which I agreed he needs to be better at.

He's still working hard defensively to be in good position and break up plays, and working hard on the forecheck to keep plays alive. He's also drawn 3 or 4 penalties the last few games with his hard work too.

And he actually has to win more than 1 face-off a game.

He needs to get better on face-offs but it's not a big need right now. Kadri, Landy, and Bellemare take all the big draws anyway.

I think part of why he's struggling is because they wanted him to start the season on Kadri's wing, who they knew would be taking all the draws on that line. So he probably didn't spend as much time drilling them until they shifted him to center.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
So is this the precautionary tale of don't make your decision based on the pre-draft interviews? I'd be curious to know which players Jost jumped over on their board after that interview.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
So is this the precautionary tale of don't make your decision based on the pre-draft interviews? I'd be curious to know which players Jost jumped over on their board after that interview.

It is more about don’t get tied too much into one tournament and understand that high end skating at low levels may not translate. There were so many scouting reports praising his skating because he was technically sound and so much better than his peers in the BCHL.

Reactions: Ararana

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
His time as an NHLer is limited. He just doesn't fit anywhere in a lineup. He's undersized, slow, weak, bad on draws, and he's shown next to no improvement in any of these areas. Add in competition from the depth chart now as well.

If things stay as they are now I'd be very surprised if he recieved a qualifying offer from the Avs. Maybe he's traded. Who knows.

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
His time as an NHLer is limited. He just doesn't fit anywhere in a lineup. He's undersized, slow, weak, bad on draws, and he's shown next to no improvement in any of these areas. Add in competition from the depth chart now as well.

If things stay as they are now I'd be very surprised if he recieved a qualifying offer from the Avs. Maybe he's traded. Who knows.
I hope he is gone by the TDL at the latest.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
He’s an NHL player who still can bring more than he’s shown.

But based on the current roster’s make up and aspirations, he’s the poster boy for the type of player you try to trade for an upgrade.

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
He’s looked better this year, all around, compared to last year - especially at the beginning of the season.
Really? Damn. He must have been complete ass last year.

Oh wait, he was. And still is.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
He’s looked better this year, all around, compared to last year - especially at the beginning of the season.
What? The guys is literally playing his way off the team right now. He offers nothing. Bura, Kadri and Donskoi have all bumped him down the line up.

And to this point I think the only player he's probably played as good or even with is Wilson... Compher, Nieto, Bellmare, Nuke, and Calvert all offer more than Jost does game in game out this season. He's only in the line up because they're trying to force Jost to be a factor on this team.

AegonLeConqueror

Jan 4, 2018
Quite unfortunate that Jost has amounted to almost nothing after, what is it...three years? Can’t really help the team when you’re not that big, not fast and can’t win board battles.

It’s sad because he wasn’t only a high draft pick but he seems like a pretty likable dude.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I think he's a prime candidate to get moved at some point in a trade for either another top 6 winger or top 4 defenseman. I think pretty much all the trade scenarios for us should begin with Jost + Zadorov for...

That being said, looking his draft year, other than Charlie McAvoy there's not many guys there who have outperformed him so far in their careers. Most of them have yet to even become full-time NHL players. So if we do keep him there's still a chance he turns into something. I personally don't really see it, as he doesn't have any particular skill that makes him stand out, and he's really starting to look slow in comparison with the rest of the team.

So I could easily see him moved to a team who wants some youth. Maybe for someone like Tyler Toffoli.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

HartKinnon

Nov 25, 2010
Jost not figuring out yet the NHL hockey can be good for Avs. His next contract will be cheap and he is just 21 years old so there is still hope in him. Right now he is in a position where we don't need him contribute so much because first, second and fourth line are getting the things done. Let him play as a center and see if he figures it out.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
What? The guys is literally playing his way off the team right now. He offers nothing. Bura, Kadri and Donskoi have all bumped him down the line up.

And to this point I think the only player he's probably played as good or even with is Wilson... Compher, Nieto, Bellmare, Nuke, and Calvert all offer more than Jost does game in game out this season. He's only in the line up because they're trying to force Jost to be a factor on this team.

He’s 21 years old. I’ve never really liked Jost, but it would be crazy to think he’ll never improve past what he currently is.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
He’s 21 years old. I’ve never really liked Jost, but it would be crazy to think he’ll never improve past what he currently is.
He could for sure. But he isn’t useful now. He’s taking up a space someone else could fill. What progression has he shown in 3 years? I’d say he’s almost gotten worst with time. He used to get shots off at least. Now he doesn’t even do that.

Bowers, Kaut, Kamenev etc will all be knocking on the door. And they all IMO have more to offer than Jost.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->