WJC: Tyson Barrie

GenerationalTalent

Aug 18, 2010
Did anyone else love his game agaisnt USA? I thought he was Canada's best defenceman. He was able to win battles for pucks and push Americans off the puck then, make tape to tape pass on the breakout, I was extremly impressed. I hadn't really noticed him that much until the last game.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Agreed, he has been their most consistent d-man. Hasnt been on for any even strength goals yet (I think). If only he were a little bigger, he'd be a lock for the NHL.

Chumley

Dec 31, 2010
Victoria, B.C.
Very impressed. He's been getting better and more confident as the tourney has gone along. Not physical, but stick smart defensively. Great offensively. He wasn't named WHL defenceman of the year last year for nothing.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
This is a tournament where small mobile defensmen can flourish. It takes a higher level of hockey IQ for them to translate that offense to the NHL level. Russel, Hickey, Syvret and Meech have shown us to temper our enthusiasm to the small defense.

doakacola*

Feb 12, 2009
This is a tournament where small mobile defensmen can flourish. It takes a higher level of hockey IQ for them to translate that offense to the NHL level. Russel, Hickey, Syvret and Meech have shown us to temper our enthusiasm to the small defense.

He's a Dan Boyle clone.

Snoil11

Aug 30, 2006
Germany

Yet there are lots of people who praise Ellis, so I think this thread is warranted.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
He's a stud and I can't wait for him and Shattenkirk to be running our PP. :D

doakacola*

Feb 12, 2009
They already have that in the NHL; his name is Shattenkirk. Kevin Shattenkirk. :yo:

Add Stefan Elliot, leading WHL Dmen in goals and points, to the mix and the Avs look to be set in the PPQB department. Now if they could only get their hands a Scheen or Staal.

Shattenkirk is real good on the O, but I'll bet he is never nearly as good positionally as Boyle.

Lard_Lad

May 12, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site

He's very similar to what Russell was like in junior. He's going to need some AHL time to adjust to pros not giving him the time and space he's used to - his tendency to overhandle has shown up a few times in the WJC - but I think he's smart enough to adapt. Capable of being an OK second pair/PP guy in the NHL.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I really haven't seen him screw up big time this entire tournament, while all of our d has screwed up at one time or another. Barrie and Cowen has been our most consistent and safe pair.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Shattenkirk is real good on the O, but I'll bet he is never nearly as good positionally as Boyle.

Not sure if this is sarcasm but I'll reply anyway...

Shattenkirk is already very solid defensively, both positionally and is actually really strong at the net and along the boards despite his fairly small or average size. He's only going to get better...way better.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I like how some people tried to blame the 5th goal tonight on him.

He was trying to be aggressive that whole third period, one of the only players actually trying to do something when the tides turned on Canada.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I like how some people tried to blame the 5th goal tonight on him.

He was trying to be aggressive that whole third period, one of the only players actually trying to do something when the tides turned on Canada.

The game was over after the 4th. But yeah nobody should blame him, he was very aggressive trying to step up and get the GTG.

Kiefer

Jun 28, 2004
Sweden
Barrie can be a great player in NHL. As always it depends on development, what type of team he's on and what chances he gets.

He got the tools IMO.

June 2007

Jan 10, 2007
Victoria BC
I got absolultey laid out by Tyson Barrie about 4 years back. It was at a tryout and got crushed, just crushed head over heels. lol.

KingJet*

Man, he just worked his ass off right there, like he just over did it and it was impressive, he'll be one hell of a player someday

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->