Tyson Barrie?

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
UPL might be ready to back up Ullmark when Sutton's contract expires in 2021.

Sutton's contract gives UPL the 19/20 & 20/21 seasons in Rochester to acclimate to the pro game.

I'd just heard from multiple places that Buf believes Ullmark is their goalie of the future and with the strong year Hutton is having Buf looked pretty set in net, so I figured they might as well use the asset in UPL to get the team a giant upgrade on the blue line. At least personally I just see a fit in terms of both teams trading from positions of strength to be mutually beneficial.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I'd just heard from multiple places that Buf believes Ullmark is their goalie of the future and with the strong year Hutton is having Buf looked pretty set in net, so I figured they might as well use the asset in UPL to get the team a giant upgrade on the blue line. At least personally I just see a fit in terms of both teams trading from positions of strength to be mutually beneficial.

Sutton is a short term answer.

Ullmark's future is as much up in the air as UPL's.

But, given how this season has gone and the lack of quality goaltending prospects after UPL in the pipeline, good luck getting Sabres fans to line up and trade away UPL right now unless the return is a forward that changes things big time ala Skinner.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
With 3 1st rounders isn't Buf likely to get 2 top 6 forwards in the 1st round anyways, same with how easily it would be to sign a guy in UFA, I think those issues could be solved in a hurry.

Well, the NHL draft is pretty much a crapshoot. Just look at Boston recently, or NYR in 2005. I don't know who the pending UFAs are this summer, but again, I think the plan is more to have guys like CJ Smith, Alex Nylander, and Victor Oloffson slide up to the NHL. Which will take time to judge and gel. Based on Botterill's comments, I don't think 1sts are on the table for trade barring an offer for a young player who is years away from UFA and already contributing at the NHL level, hence my suggestion of 2nds and prospects.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
I have my thoughts on the matter which would be something around 1 of the 3 1sts, UPL and one more asset. However this is where I'd like to see what Buf fans thoughts. I'd assume both teams would do best if it was pick/prospect heavy. That way Buf can keep its roster in tact.
UPL would be off the table. Goalies take awhile to normally show what he's showing and at an early age.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Jesus, I cannot believe how many people aren't lining up for one the best young PMDs in the league. And he's a right shot? UPL is a 19 year old goalie prospect. He is still probably 50/50 to even be an NHL player. Goalies are crap shoots.

OP, I take that deal. San Jose 1st, UPL, Nathan Beaulieu for Tyson Barrie and a conditional 5th in 2021. If Barrie leave in UFA, or is traded, the 4th becomes a 2nd in 2022.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Jesus, I cannot believe how many people aren't lining up for one the best young PMDs in the league. And he's a right shot? UPL is a 19 year old goalie prospect. He is still probably 50/50 to even be an NHL player. Goalies are crap shoots.

OP, I take that deal. San Jose 1st, UPL, Nathan Beaulieu for Tyson Barrie and a conditional 5th in 2021. If Barrie leave in UFA, or is traded, the 4th becomes a 2nd in 2022.

What fourth?
Who is Sutton?

am I losing it lol?

Obviously I'm kidding around (I hope)

Reactions: Jim Bob

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Barrie is 6 months younger than ROR.

Therefore, he is aging and not young.

:sarcasm:

I get why you'd want Barrie.

I'm just not excited about giving up a 1st and the Sabres only good goalie prospect for a guy that is under contract for one more season and is then a UFA.

It's like why I wouldn't want to give up a 1st and UPL for a guy like Schenn.

I'd rather give up a 1st+Nylander for a guy like Barrie or Schenn.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Barrie is 6 months younger than ROR.

Therefore, he is aging and not young.

:sarcasm:

I get why you'd want Barrie.

I'm just not excited about giving up a 1st and the Sabres only good goalie prospect for a guy that is under contract for one more season and is then a UFA.

It's like why I wouldn't want to give up a 1st and UPL for a guy like Schenn.

I'd rather give up a 1st+Nylander for a guy like Barrie or Schenn.

I have little interest in Barrie to begin with, but at the proposed price I for sure pass. I like the looks of Borgen and Samulesson, and Guhle could at some point decide to hockey again...not to mention McCabe has proven he is a long term fixture. Mix in Dahlin andRisto and company and I;m just not blowing assets on Barrie let alone paying that chunk of change to retain him.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
We don't really have the cap to sign top 6 UFA forwards and re-sign Barrie ...

If we did it ..it couldn't be just a pick and prospects deal ... We'd have to send salary back to the Avs

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
I have my thoughts on the matter which would be something around 1 of the 3 1sts, UPL and one more asset. However this is where I'd like to see what Buf fans thoughts. I'd assume both teams would do best if it was pick/prospect heavy. That way Buf can keep its roster in tact.

If I'm giving up a 1st, UPL and something else it is for a 2C not a player who is somewhat redundant with Pilut, Risto, and Dahlin.

Reactions: Meeqs and DJN21

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
I thought Barrie was bad at playing actual defense?
Pretty sure he's a 5'8 turnstyle. The Sabres are amazingly 11th in the league in GA despite having a joke of a defense. Credit to the goaltending, but the dmen must be doing something right back there. They are 21st in GF, however, somewhere Barrie would definitely help.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013

Wow, only that for an entire year of Tyson Barrie?!

Reactions: Reddawg

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I thought Barrie was bad at playing actual defense?

You have hockey fans who feel any offensive Dman who isn't 220lbs is bad at defense. There will always be those guys on HFB because they let anyone post on here. There are people who still think Dahlin is a bust, they are just nuts. He is a great possession player, a top 5-10 point producer every year for Dmen and has no issues defensively. Like you aren't going to put him on the PK to block shots, but that's not what he is.

He'd be Buf's 2nd best dman today should they acquire him.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
We don't really have the cap to sign top 6 UFA forwards and re-sign Barrie ...

If we did it ..it couldn't be just a pick and prospects deal ... We'd have to send salary back to the Avs

I honestly don't think that'd be an issue that would hold anything up, Avs have cap space for days. It'd be more about if the other elements were there.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Wow, only that for an entire year of Tyson Barrie?!

While that is an accurate statement they bought only an entire year of Skinner from Car and look how that turned out. Granted that was for a straight up steal but should Buf want to really compete next year I think its an option. A 1st and a prospect is what teams will pay for rentals this year, so its more than a fair price imo, especially because Barrie is an elite player. Now if you feel he isn't a need for the team as others have pointed out I totally get that, although personally saying you don't need Barrie because you have Pilut is like saying my team doesn't need Skinner because they have kaut but I definitely get where you're coming from. If Barrie had more term he'd cost a lot more in return.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I think I was able to get a good understanding of where Buf is at now thanks to everyones responses. Thanks for helping me understand the team better and for having this conversation with me.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
UPL would be off the table. Goalies take awhile to normally show what he's showing and at an early age.

He's a big reason why I think the deal would make so much sense. The Avs really need a guy like that where I'm not as sure Buf will, but I understand the preference. Barrie will/would return a massive haul for the Avs and I think a team with a good goalie prospect will be able to be the one to win out on him.

This thread was mostly looking for fit, but in terms of playing devils advocate on proposals if all it took to get Barrie was pick in the 25-30 range and Nylander than Buf would have gotten him yesterday.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
He's a big reason why I think the deal would make so much sense. The Avs really need a guy like that where I'm not as sure Buf will, but I understand the preference. Barrie will/would return a massive haul for the Avs and I think a team with a good goalie prospect will be able to be the one to win out on him.

This thread was mostly looking for fit, but in terms of playing devils advocate on proposals if all it took to get Barrie was pick in the 25-30 range and Nylander than Buf would have gotten him yesterday.
Buffalo needs a goalie prospect developing, all teams really do honestly. Beyond an insurance policy of actual play in the future, from both the prospect and whomever is manning the crease at the time, it's actually wise to look at the cost control as well. For example, if UPL is on par with Ullmark in let's say, 3 years, but Ullmark is asking 5 mil (just an example) and Buffalo has cap tied up in D and forwards that makes that number untenable for a year or 2, they then could have the option of moving Ullmark for future assets and inserting UPL.

As I said, there are other reasons ALL teams should have a few goalies in their pipeline at all times. Just my view is all.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Risto and Dahlin are here long term. Samuelsson, Pilut and Guhle are all projected to be on our blue line long term. McCabe is only turning 26 and we have wild cards in Laaksonen and Borgen. 1 of the 3 1sts is likely used on a dman. No interest in trading a 1st+ for a player closing in on 30 who we would have to fork out 7 mil+ per for throughout their 30s.

If they take Okposo then I would be ok with a 1st+ for him. No Okposo in the trade then no deal.

Reactions: DON VITO

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Buffalo needs a goalie prospect developing, all teams really do honestly. Beyond an insurance policy of actual play in the future, from both the prospect and whomever is manning the crease at the time, it's actually wise to look at the cost control as well. For example, if UPL is on par with Ullmark in let's say, 3 years, but Ullmark is asking 5 mil (just an example) and Buffalo has cap tied up in D and forwards that makes that number untenable for a 1 or 2, they then could have the option of moving Ullmark for future assets and inserting UPL.

As I said, there are other reasons ALL teams should have a few goalies in their pipeline at all times. Just my view is all.

I mean with Hutton playing so well and Ullmark seeming to be the goalie of the long term future, which seems to at least be decently accurate even if some feel UPL could become better eventually I wouldn't say its so much a need as a luxury. Once a team has their guy they are set for a long time, and if you can improve the D in front of them whether through system (Trotz) or ability (NSH) then it shows massive dividends. Also for a team that needs more depth scoring, adding in a sure fire 60 point dman would help with that.

Also no matter who it is if you have a starting goalie worth anything you should expect to pay them around 6m per year.

I totally get your point though and its definitely a valid way of doing things. If Ullmark does become a #1 though you'll end up moving UPL eventually as the NHL is designed for teams to not have redundancy at positions and goaltending trade markets are always odd.

Thanks for the reply though, I really enjoyed your thought process on the matter.

Reactions: Yatzhee

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Risto and Dahlin are here long term. Samuelsson, Pilut and Guhle are all projected to be on our blue line long term. McCabe is only turning 26 and we have wild cards in Laaksonen and Borgen. 1 of the 3 1sts is likely used on a dman. No interest in trading a 1st+ for a player closing in on 30 who we would have to fork out 7 mil+ per for throughout their 30s.

If they take Okposo then I would be ok with a 1st+ for him. No Okposo in the trade then no deal.

I don't personally believe this is a realistic point of view, but thank you for contributing to the conversation.

I do find it funny McCabe is only turning 26 but Barrie who just turned 27 is closing in on 30. Not that I don't expect fans to have rose colored glasses but it'll be tough coming to a reasonable discussion with that warped of a perspective on things. If you can get past that though I do think you bring up some reasonable and valid points once they aren't exaggerated.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I don't personally believe this is a realistic point of view, but thank you for contributing to the conversation.

I do find it funny McCabe is only turning 26 but Barrie who just turned 27 is closing in on 30. Not that I don't expect fans to have rose colored glasses but it'll be tough coming to a reasonable discussion with that warped of a perspective on things. If you can get past that though I do think you bring up some reasonable and valid points once they aren't exaggerated.

I think the point is ... Barrie is approaching 30 and we would be paying 7 mill + for him ... while McCabe is making 3 ish or so million on his next contract

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad