Tyson Barrie?

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Hey Buf fans,

I wanted to get your thoughts on if you felt your team would be a logical destination for Tyson Barrie at this years draft? I'm trying to find teams where he could be the best fit and are in the right position to want a guy of his skill. With multiple picks and good goaltending prospects I personally think there could be a good fit here, especially if they make the playoffs this year and resign Skinner like I expect them to.

So what are your thoughts on this Buf fans. Please tell me if you agree, disagree and allow me to get a better understanding of your team. (I didn't see a general purpose trade board so I made this) Thanks!

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Barrie would be a huge get for us, but I'm not sure we would like his pricetag. I would hesitate to spend any of the firsts and I'm sure he wouldn't go without one.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
at what price?

I have my thoughts on the matter which would be something around 1 of the 3 1sts, UPL and one more asset. However this is where I'd like to see what Buf fans thoughts. I'd assume both teams would do best if it was pick/prospect heavy. That way Buf can keep its roster in tact.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I need middle six forwards not defensemen.

I mean this UFA is littered with them so I would assume that wouldn't be too hard to get from multiple sources. You guys have All IN to carry the 1st line and Barrie to carry the 2nd. (I know this definitely isn't the place and sure I'm not in the minority here but I'm not a big believer in Risto and think Buf would benefit to have someone better, but not trying to derail the thread with that.)

I do appreciate the feedback on where you feel the teams strengths and needs are at however.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
I have my thoughts on the matter which would be something around 1 of the 3 1sts, UPL and one more asset. However this is where I'd like to see what Buf fans thoughts. I'd assume both teams would do best if it was pick/prospect heavy. That way Buf can keep its roster in tact.

Too steep for me, considering the need for middle six forwards, imo. Sabres goaltending depth after UPL falls off a cliff, too, unless I'm forgetting about somebody.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Too steep for me, considering the need for middle six forwards, imo. Sabres goaltending depth after UPL falls off a cliff, too, unless I'm forgetting about somebody.

This is pretty much why I posted the thread. I wanted to see what the fans thoughts on the matter was. Does Buf not view Ullmark as the goalie of the future? They seem to be pretty set with their current 1-2 punch.

How many middle 6 forwards do you think the team needs? Would that not be easily solvable in UFA?

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
no thanks. We don't need D.

Would you mind letting me know where you think the Sabers Depth chart is currently at for their D and where you feel each player is in terms of the role they play so I can see where our opinions might differ? thanks again for the input.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA

I'm just trying to gauge the market for him before the draft comes and to see for the teams with a fit what might be an expected and reasonable outcome.

I understand the perspective from Colorado's side very well but I'd like to not be ignorant of that of Buffalos so I felt asking the fan base could provide me with a better understanding of the team.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Would be a waste of assets. We need forwards far, far more than D, and we're not a logical destination for any player who's a pending UFA, as Barrie will be this summer. We're fine on RD (Ristolainen + Bogosian + Dahlin and Pilut are both comfortable playing on the right side despite shooting left). OTOH, half of our forwards are garbage. If we're making a trade, it's for help up front.

Reactions: debaser66

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Our defense is a joke.

This is kinda why I opened the thread. Personally I think Buf is a great spot for Barrie. I think He'd be a great fit and that they could use him. Especially with Buf really coming on strong he could add a huge dynamic for the team that I think could utilize him really well. However I only watch about 15 Buf games a year so the feedback from the fan base could help me hammer out misconceptions I may or may not have.

Reactions: stokes84

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Would be a waste of assets. We need forwards far, far more than D, and we're not a logical destination for any player who's a pending UFA, as Barrie will be this summer. We're fine on RD (Ristolainen + Bogosian + Dahlin and Pilut are both comfortable playing on the right side despite shooting left). OTOH, half of our forwards are garbage. If we're making a trade, it's for help up front.

So do you feel that they don't need a player like Barrie at all and the D is pretty set as is? I can definitely understand the need for help up front but they aren't exactly mutually exclusive and in a year with a stacked forward group at UFA do you feel like both of these things could happen.

Thanks for your input.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
So do you feel that they don't need a player like Barrie at all and the D is pretty set as is? I can definitely understand the need for help up front but they aren't exactly mutually exclusive and in a year with a stacked forward group at UFA do you feel like both of these things could happen.

Thanks for your input.

I think you'd be very hard pressed to find Sabres fans willing to part with UPL in any trade that doesn't knock our doors off.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
This is pretty much why I posted the thread. I wanted to see what the fans thoughts on the matter was. Does Buf not view Ullmark as the goalie of the future? They seem to be pretty set with their current 1-2 punch.

How many middle 6 forwards do you think the team needs? Would that not be easily solvable in UFA?

Signed for 1 more year at 5.5m is pretty steep, too. After this season would be much easier, with Moulson and Pominville coming off the books. Ullmark is possibly the goalie of the future, but UPL's body of work so far has been pretty incredible, and goalies are unpredictable enough that I wouldn't want to rely just on Linus continuing his development. We've seen enough bad netminding in Buffalo the past few years to make me apprehensive.

The Sabres plan is probably to let AHL guys earn NHL jobs in terms of the forward group, but I'd put 2C as the highest need right now. A player like Barrie would be nice, but it's more of a luxury item for where the Sabres are at the moment. A 1st for a one-year rental is likely not something the Sabres would consider, especially with arguably their top prospect in UPL being included with that 1st. If Colorado is looking to shed salary, an offseason trade with a couple of 2nds, a Casey Nelson-type depth defender, Guhle [d-man in Rochester] and goalie prospect Jonas Johannson would be more palatable. That said, it's not a home run return for a defenseman of Barrie's caliber, but that brings us back to the point that the Sabres aren't [or shouldn't be, at least] in the market for luxury items.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Thanks for your input.

Our D isn't perfect, but Dahlin will cover up a lot of flaws as he matures, and we've got adequate depth there. Especially since Barrie is a more offensive d-man, and we've got Dahlin and Risto to fill that role already. It's without question that we need help up front a whole lot more, and any assets that might be spent getting a d-man would undoubtedly be better spent targeting a forward.

Reactions: debaser66

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Our D isn't perfect, but Dahlin will cover up a lot of flaws as he matures, and we've got adequate depth there. Especially since Barrie is a more offensive d-man, and we've got Dahlin and Risto to fill that role already. It's without question that we need help up front a whole lot more, and any assets that might be spent getting a d-man would undoubtedly be better spent targeting a forward.

Thanks I appreciate the feedback, this is what I was looking for.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

UPL might be ready to back up Ullmark when Sutton's contract expires in 2021.

Sutton's contract gives UPL the 19/20 & 20/21 seasons in Rochester to acclimate to the pro game.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Signed for 1 more year at 5.5m is pretty steep, too. After this season would be much easier, with Moulson and Pominville coming off the books. Ullmark is possibly the goalie of the future, but UPL's body of work so far has been pretty incredible, and goalies are unpredictable enough that I wouldn't want to rely just on Linus continuing his development. We've seen enough bad netminding in Buffalo the past few years to make me apprehensive.

The Sabres plan is probably to let AHL guys earn NHL jobs in terms of the forward group, but I'd put 2C as the highest need right now. A player like Barrie would be nice, but it's more of a luxury item for where the Sabres are at the moment. A 1st for a one-year rental is likely not something the Sabres would consider, especially with arguably their top prospect in UPL being included with that 1st. If Colorado is looking to shed salary, an offseason trade with a couple of 2nds, a Casey Nelson-type depth defender, Guhle [d-man in Rochester] and goalie prospect Jonas Johannson would be more palatable. That said, it's not a home run return for a defenseman of Barrie's caliber, but that brings us back to the point that the Sabres aren't [or shouldn't be, at least] in the market for luxury items.

With 3 1st rounders isn't Buf likely to get 2 top 6 forwards in the 1st round anyways, same with how easily it would be to sign a guy in UFA, I think those issues could be solved in a hurry.

After talking to fans in this board I think I have a better idea of where things are at, but I think they shouldn't rule out the idea. I think they could very easily have the best of both worlds.

For more info on Colorado, they have no need to shed Salary, they are just very very deep at the RD position and with Makar on the way getting picks and prospects for Barrie, even though he is an elite player might be the best outcome for the team, especially at goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad